What's made you not grumpy but not smile either today?

Currently reading:
What's made you not grumpy but not smile either today?

Ruby is in for cam belt and brake fluid change. £350 down the chute. Clutch slave sqeaking again so i have that to do and baffles are now loose in the back box so I shall do that too. I have to collect Peanut2 from Southampton on Saturday so more expense....
It may sound like a bodge, but if silencer box generally sound, in the past a "gentle hit" with a ball pein hammer in the correct position often cured the problem rattle, at least long enough for the rest of the exhaust to become rusty enough to warrant replacement.;)

Last edited:
It may have been the current and not voltage on the cap, they usually have a bit of extra on the voltage side, but would need a scope of it so to see what the true voltage was.
Or something like a chunky transorb to suppress the spikes and protect the cap.
It's worth checking out after I replace the cap. I have a Hastings 0-30A over the wire type ammeter that I can use. I tend to misplace it but have finally found a spot on a shelf it can call home.

It's worth checking out after I replace the cap. I have a Hastings 0-30A over the wire type ammeter that I can use. I tend to misplace it but have finally found a spot on a shelf it can call home.
I find a ‘current clamp’ to be useful in those situations…mines that old it’s a ‘plug into AVO meter type, but now they’re self contained with their own digital display

I find a ‘current clamp’ to be useful in those situations…mines that old it’s a ‘plug into AVO meter type, but now they’re self contained with their own digital display
I have a couple of those, too. One is a nice BETA that one of my Italian cohorts handed me years ago. I have a couple of 'inline' units, too.

It may sound like a bodge, but if silencer box generally sound, in the past a "gentle hit" with a ball pein hammer in the correct position often cured the problem rattle, at least long enough for the rest of the exhaust to become rusty enough to warrant replacement.;)
Good thinking But, am I brave enough.

Last edited:
Well, I found the error in my thinking. Actually, two. I forgot that rectified DC voltage is 1.41 times higher than AC. Also, the stupid lighting coil is capable of producing up to 28vac. So, 28 x 1.41=39.48vdc*. The 470uf 25V cap didn't stand a chance. So, with the new 470uf 250V, the two .01uf 630V mylar caps, the 1000V bridge rectifier, and the big honking heatsink on the 7805vr, this thing is overbuilt.

*Had I known about this earlier, I would have settled for a 60V cap. Oh well.

You can use a switching regulator to avoid the heat, but i think the 7805 has a limit of 35v too
Of course. Now my weak link.
I think my best option now is an LM317T or an LM317T-HV with an adjustable pot upstream of it. I've used this setup before. I have some different bridge rectifiers on the way with smaller pins so I can breadboard the next one before I solder it together. This board will be relegated to my 'Experience Pile'.

Ive been having trouble with moderate cramp developing when walking our dog. In the last couple of days its got serious and now I am immobilised. It hurts so much I cant tell whats causing it or where it centre,s which is nearly an actual pain in the A***. We are off to Cape cod in just a few weeks to sponge off my family over there,so I need to get a fix or a work around fast. At least the incentive of free food and drink is a powerful incentive to get over it. Physio booked for Friday.

Ive been having trouble with moderate cramp developing when walking our dog. In the last couple of days its got serious and now I am immobilised. It hurts so much I cant tell whats causing it or where it centre,s which is nearly an actual pain in the A***. We are off to Cape cod in just a few weeks to sponge off my family over there,so I need to get a fix or a work around fast. At least the incentive of free food and drink is a powerful incentive to get over it. Physio booked for Friday.
Any discolouration? Cold or warm to touch compared to the other leg?

Any discolouration? Cold or warm to touch compared to the other leg?
No just now pretty bad pain if I walk, that activity is now just going to the bog. I have also had arthritic symptoms in both hands coincidentally. I will probably have to have it looked at while we are in the US. I cant think I stand evena remote chance of any treatment here at the moment. It all looks normal only a very small amount of swelling. After two hours sitting it stops hurting. I think its knee relate but pain is whole leg and into toes and hip. I think its time to book an apointment in Switzerland. Ageing is definitely not for me! I was considering Fiats and Friends too. Now might be a good time to get cruise control on Pandabird 1!

The biggest concern is blood clots or an ischemic limb so do keep a look out for any swelling or Change temperature or colour. Go straight to A&E if you start getting breathless.

Get some compression socks/flight socks for the plane.

If you go on the 111 website you can go through the questions without having to deal with a person and that can tell you the best thing to do

The biggest concern is blood clots or an ischemic limb so do keep a look out for any swelling or Change temperature or colour. Go straight to A&E if you start getting breathless.

Get some compression socks/flight socks for the plane.

If you go on the 111 website you can go through the questions without having to deal with a person and that can tell you the best thing to do
Thanks. I will make sure I use the compression socks. Thats a very useful reminder.

Last edited:
Is it cramp or is it trapped nerves or arthritis
I thought I was getting severe cramps but didn’t do anything until it was getting more frequent…turned out I have arthritis in both hips and lower back. Walking uphill is a killer on a bad day

Is it cramp or is it trapped nerves or arthritis
I thought I was getting severe cramps but didn’t do anything until it was getting more frequent…turned out I have arthritis in both hips and lower back. Walking uphill is a killer on a bad day
Still not sure but I think its arthritis and trapped nerves lower back which has been a longstanding thing. Mainly its age. I can walk again today and most importantly still lift a glass (of my sons beer)

Back