Technical Ducato P0401 P0402 P0236 P0238 and limp mode its 2017 Euro 6, EGR changed, What do I check next

Currently reading:
Technical Ducato P0401 P0402 P0236 P0238 and limp mode its 2017 Euro 6, EGR changed, What do I check next

Okay, have removed throttle body and MAP sensor, throttle body nice and clean, little bit of oil inside the black housing it feeds into but not loads.

MAP sensor was pretty dirty so will replace.

But, if I search on the code that is on the sensor itself, Bosch 0281006028, I'm being told (on ebay) that it isn't compatible with my vehicle?? I get pointed in the direction of a different Bosch part number - 0281006076. So which do I go for?? Should I call a Fiat dealer and ask them to cross reference against my chassis number?
It is known that there was period when the factory fitted a non reccomended sensor @Fredastaire i wil check required MAP

OK, that would be great to know which is the best sensor to put back in, thank you. My van was registered in March 17, so I'm guessing I will be OK without the security gateway bypass that Gendan advertise? Is it worth getting the bluetooth version? How much is the ongoing subscription after 12 months?

OK, that would be great to know which is the best sensor to put back in, thank you. My van was registered in March 17, so I'm guessing I will be OK without the security gateway bypass that Gendan advertise? Is it worth getting the bluetooth version? How much is the ongoing subscription after 12 months?
Attached is my spare MAP. There is no ongoing subscription for multiecuscan just 1 year of updates "lifetime" use for the windows version, for the IOS version Apple want £50 a year. I use both usb and blue tooth versions. bluetooth is more conveniant for general use usb safer for key coding and proxi alignment. no sgw bypass required

Attachments

• MAPsensor.jpg
    MAPsensor.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
Attached is my spare MAP. There is no ongoing subscription for multiecuscan just 1 year of updates "lifetime" use for the windows version, for the IOS version Apple want £50 a year. I use both usb and blue tooth versions. bluetooth is more conveniant for general use usb safer for key coding and proxi alignment. no sgw bypass required
ah brill, thank you, have now ordered new MAP. I'll crack on with the MES too, thanks for the steer on that too. Does the clean exhaust pipe give any clues as to what the problem might be?

Hi, thank you for your help, so, exhaust pipe is clean as a whistle, nothing on the kitchen roll.

Happy to try the MES, but at the moment it wouldn't make it to the motorway! Will have to renew the MAP sensor and then do it. Is the MES software expensive?
£50 just for software, not in my eyes. Read my guide for alternative interfaces.

Attachments

• Screenshot(13).png
    Screenshot(13).png
    256.7 KB · Views: 23
It gives a clue as to what it isn't or might not be yet, but real data is the only non "guess"
ok, let's see what the MES throws up, will take me a few days to organise, my home laptop is knackered and I won't be allowed to download the software onto my work laptop. Will find another laptop and get the kit together. So essentially the £15 OBD dongle off ebay you mentioned and pay £50 for a software license and I'm good to go??

ok, let's see what the MES throws up, will take me a few days to organise, my home laptop is knackered and I won't be allowed to download the software onto my work laptop. Will find another laptop and get the kit together. So essentially the £15 OBD dongle off ebay you mentioned and pay £50 for a software license and I'm good to go??
Caveat emptor as with anything from EBAY but one i bought works. I now carry it and one Vgate permamently in van. the spare vgate and OBBdlinkSX live in my OBD2 box with all interfaces i have which goes in whichever car is travelling more than 10 mile.

Caveat emptor as with anything from EBAY but one i bought works. I now carry it and one Vgate permamently in van. the spare vgate and OBBdlinkSX live in my OBD2 box with all interfaces i have which goes in whichever car is travelling more than 10 mile.
OK, new lapper and dongle on way, will download the software once they arrive, hopefully new MAP will be here and can put that in and get out for a run. If not I will put the old MAP back in and try to get some data together. Thanks for all your help so far, will post again once the kit arrives.

Ben bits and pieces should start ariving
read
use the latest version of template 4 (in discussion)
T4-24.png

I'm the owner of a 2018 ,130 twin egr .
My problems started last year , 1 st time was turbo over boost , then every 2k I'd get a p402 ,p401 ,p236 etc .
I took it to a FP garage in January, they did the EGR and software update...200miles later , p401 .
Back again , new MAF ,and turbo sensor.( 5 weeks waiting for MAF )
100miles later p401 , P402 ... Reset it .
I changed MAP sensor...went away last night 10 miles into drive on a hill , limp mode again P402 .
Reading the thread it would seem the only solution is to get the EGR cooler changed on the low pressure circuit?

I done the exhaust wipe and it's slightly sooty,but garage has told me DPF is fine?
Have they dismantled the dpf flexi at bottom of engine and physicaly looked?
To confirm what is happenning i always say "show me the data " not just the fault codes and freeze frame data in this case the possibility is we are at the front end of the problem. The way forward is to get a copy of multiecuscan on a laptop and go for a run with my template 4 for a total of 20-30minute. put the csv on here or pm me and i will look at the data and suggest a course of action.

At least you are ready for the worst but dont dive in yet

Have they dismantled the dpf flexi at bottom of engine and physicaly looked?
To confirm what is happenning i always say "show me the data " not just the fault codes and freeze frame data in this case the possibility is we are at the front end of the problem. The way forward is to get a copy of multiecuscan on a laptop and go for a run with my template 4 for a total of 20-30minute. put the csv on here or pm me and i will look at the data and suggest a course of action.

At least you are ready for the worst but dont dive in yet
Ok , thanks for your help .
We are currently in motorhome at present, so having to put up with EML , I've got so in tune with engine I know exactly when it will go into limp mode now ... All ways as comformatic changes up going up a hill with no where to pull over !!! .

Ok , thanks for your help .
We are currently in motorhome at present, so having to put up with EML , I've got so in tune with engine I know exactly when it will go into limp mode now ... All ways as comformatic changes up going up a hill with no where to pull over !!! .
Just about 8 minutes after starting? engine not quite hot? at least you answered one question . it is a comformatic.
read the service notes attached have you been shown a copy of this ? I presume you have a simple reader to delete the codes to carry on.

Attachments

• ServiceNews_10_023_19.pdf
    534.1 KB · Views: 11
Just about 8 minutes after starting? engine not quite hot? at least you answered one question . it is a comformatic.
read the service notes attached have you been shown a copy of this ? I presume you have a simple reader to delete the codes to carry on.
Yes , always in 1st time starting engine, I got a basic reader to reset EML ,then runs all day no problem, engine pulls hard ,full power etc .
I did try manually shifting to try and stop it causing what I believe to be a sudden pressure drop or boost in EGR system due to block in gas cooler on low pressure side , but as no clutch the revs still drop to low before picking up again.my thinking turbo has kicked in then has to dump pressure at same time ? And sensors get bounced.
I did see service notes , made me laugh " reassure customer it will get sorted" ..
2 visits so far and a lot spent.

Hi @Serrow225 , I'm the originator of this post, still here and still using our Ducato (inc comfortmatic).
I'm also the one that worked out how the LP system works when the cooler is blocked with the result that it strangles the engine because it closes off the fresh air supply from the air filter and with the cooler blocked there quite simply is no air to breath. If I put a scarf around your neck and pulled it tight you too would collapse and go limp!!
It's very easy to employ Multiecuscan and view on the laptop both EGRs working. The LP works to effect a controlled blend of exhaust / fresh air and the LP can be seen constantly varying it's millimeters of opening, the temperature seen to be varying up to say 100-120 degrees; this being if all is well. If the cooler is blocked you will see the LP is either full closed or full open, at 4.7 (if memory correct).
I'm now something like 18 months on from having the cooler changed, I've a sooty exhaust but no fault codes. I only ever buy the expensive diesel and each fill-up dose with millers diesel max.
I'm in regular contact with @theoneandonly , together we try to help other owners on this and other forum pages. You can pm me.
So I've read the book, seen the film, bought the t shirt and had the assurance from Fiat that all is well.........

Hi all, quick update as it's been a few days. I'm still without a dongle, have given up on the first one I ordered (over a week ago) and bought from a different supplier today. I would avoid this seller on ebay: cwautodiagnostics - absolutely useless, no tracking information and they don't respond to messages.

In the meantime, I fitted a new MAP on Saturday and took the van for a quick drive. Still the same, turbo not working. Turned round after a few hundred metres and came back. Scanned with my cheapo OBD reader - no codes, but the van hadn't gone into limp mode as I was out for such a short time.

Turbo Electro Valve / Solenoid has arrived today so I will fit that shortly and try another quick test drive for what it's worth.

I've got some Miller's additive ready to go and will be filling up with premium fuel as per Fred's recommendations, once I have enough confidence in the van to get me a few miles to a petrol station that is.

As the ECU has obviously decided to shut off the turbo, will I need to clear / activate something with the MultiEcuScan to tell it to work again? In it's current state I would struggle to perform the tests required once I have the dongle / software.

@ben360 relative to changing parts, they need to be OEM and not aftermarket. The map needs to be official Bosch AND you may need to speak with Bosch UK , quoting your engine number to establish the exact part number. There are a quantity of known cases whereby a wrong Bosch part number was factory fitted. Also for the turbo solenoid it needs to be genuine and not aftermarket, real ones have a tiny air filter on a pipe that clips high up towards the screen to avoid sucking water drips. Reference the cable adapter I would recommend buying direct from Gendan, many people buy the package from Gendan inc software and license noting that Gendan supply two cables in their kit, one allows you to read the other Ducato modules other than the engine. I've just helped two other people with different problems to this 0401 post; they had mysterious multiple faults, it turned out to be vibration scuffed sensor cables where the copper wires were showing and being able to intermittently short out - might be worth an overall visual investigation.

Back