345884264_1724100544686172_4671623679724577340_n.jpg

Punto (Mk1) Project R the Mk1 Cabrio Restoration project

1998 Rosso Red Mk1 Punto ELX Cabrio, that has been very neglected.

Introduction

Project page for my 1998 Punto Cabrio Restoration project. This car was aquired in October 2023, with no service history and in a pretty poor state, however they are becoming extremely rare now in the UK, just a dozen or so of the 1.2 16v models left on the road and about 30 or so cabrios in total.

Pictures are from the forsale add and ones the previous owner sent me before I got it.
100% with you Jock, my only difference, contrary to many on here and elsewhere, is I am a fan each "new to me" vehicle, warming the engine up, tin of Wynns Engine flush for 15-20 minutes @ 2000rpm, then oil and filter change, sometimes I have even been known to repeat it,. Many of my vehicles have come to me with well over 100k miles but at the right price . The four I have at present range from 125k to 224k miles biggest is only 2litre, highest mileage is ex minicab 2012 Citroen C3 Picasso 1.6 diesel, one of my better £300 investments;).
Most of my engines are diesel though so accumulate a lot of carbon etc.
I was always happy with the Fiat Ducato 2.8 diesel engine in my boat when each year I would change the oil and filter, old oil coming out only mildly "aged" inspite of using the boat all the year round. My only consideration for engine being reach normal operating temperature before flat out. Commercial diesel engines sound so much quieter when all that heavy metal has expanded.
As a youngster we had an "on call fireman" next door and hearing his pager through the house walls, him thumping down the stairs, then the scream of his cars engine at full blast from cold , it was no doubt why his cars didn't last.

You refer to the top of the pistons having "surface rust"? Andy, I know you're deeply into all things to do with cars so I'm not trying to insult you by reminding all here that aluminium - from which most pistons are made - doesn't rust and aluminium oxidation looks white anyway.
Ok this is good news to me. I will beg to differ on the colour seen on the scope. To me it definitely looks like the colour of rust, both when wet and when dry, that being said, There are valves directly above it which if rusted could have dripped an iron oxide residue onto the piston tops. The Pistons being alloy is good news to me, I had not fully looked into it, so glad you called me on it, I had just assumed, cheap engine, cheap iron pistons.

Good luck Andy, I think you're talking about taking the sump off? might be a good idea to have a look at the bottom end before deciding whether to take the head off - I'm thinking blocked up oil strainer, maybe little glittery bits in the oil and other possible "nasties". If the bottom end is ok and there's no obvious signs of head gasket problems I could be tempted to run it for a wee while, maybe a month or so, getting it well up to temperature each time and do a couple of oil changes. Then, if it's still not "happy" think some more about stripping the top end?
The car is a project and will not really be used in anger for anything for some time to come. It needs the interior stripping out. The subframes are going to come off and all bushings replaced, everything repainted and where needed everything replaced. Given the extent I plan to go to on the body and suspension of the car I want to make sure the Engine is in reasonable condition before I carry on.

So running it for any period of time with engine cleaners or other agents is off the cards.

I was pretty much sure I would have to take the head off, but I think the suggestion of taking the sump off first is a good idea to make sure the bottom end is ok before continuing. If there is issues with forbidden glitter in the sump or oil pick up, I may cut open the current oil filter as well. Then I may consider the engine to be no better than scrap and look for a replacement. However if the bottom end is ok, then I will carry on, take the head off, clean up the piston tops and see what I am dealing with. Maybe re-grind the valves, if they are fouled or rusted, and consider the possibility of port polishing or other simple things I could do to improve performance.

I don't really want to be sending bits off to the machine shop, so I am looking to do what I can at home, its never going to be a concourse car but it would be nice to have some faith in the engine before investing in the rest of the car.

I would never use a proper engine flush, cheaper oil and short changes is safer in my view
As I said my view differs from many here on that, so whatever works for you, as an apprentice late 60s we would drain the engine and refill with a proper flushing oil similar to paraffin in consistency and just run engine under a light load then drain and replace oil and filter, nowadays the tin of Wynns, which until it causes me a problem I am unlikely to change from.:)

Wikipedia reckons fire had an alloy head but cast iron block but there's usual Wikipedia caveats of A it's Wikipedia and B different versions may vary. I also remember it as being all alloy...but it's been a long time since I messed with one.

There's also the possibility of different materials in different places..eg our current car has an alloy block, with steel pistons and cast iron liners..

Wikipedia reckons fire had an alloy head but cast iron block but there's usual Wikipedia caveats of A it's Wikipedia and B different versions may vary. I also remember it as being all alloy...but it's been a long time since I messed with one.

There's also the possibility of different materials in different places..eg our current car has an alloy block, with steel pistons and cast iron liners..
A quick poke with a magnet would appear to confirm it is an iron block. This obviously doesn’t answer the question of what the pistons are made from. The head is alloy as confirmed by the same magnet check but also years of warped heads from over heating witnessed on this forum

to borrow the tool from a friend. Quite a few years ago, when I was living and breathing cars almost 24 hours a day and risking divorce over it (Hillman Imps had an obsessive hold over me) I found I was needing the leakdown tool quite frequently and became embarrassed asking to borrow it all the time (Imps are famous for head gasket problems) so I made an adaptor from an old plug so I could inject compressed air into a cylinder:
Same here. Wife's (girfriend/fiance,wife) Singer Chamois 1968. No.4 spark plug and thermostat being awful to get to. Then worn /perished heater hose running the lenght of the car throught the sills. Job I hated the most - valve clearance shimming. Cam shaft off job and with such soft alloy head/caps despite using a low force accurate torque wrench getting the gaps correct was a real challenge/pain.

Only good thing was like the Fiat 600D getting the engine out was pretty easy.

100% with you Jock, my only difference, contrary to many on here and elsewhere, is I am a fan each "new to me" vehicle, warming the engine up, tin of Wynns Engine flush for 15-20 minutes @ 2000rpm, then oil and filter change, sometimes I have even been known to repeat it,.
Funny one engine flush, isn't it? Back when I was in college in London in the '60s learning my trade, my pals and I spent many happy hours up at Santa Pod watching the Drag Racing. Wynns is a very big name and sponsor so it was a brand we rapidly became familiar with and held in high regard. I remember pouring their treacly thick oil treatment - Wynns Charge? - into some of the old bangers we ran around in to cut down on oil consumption and then applying the wynns sticker proudly to the front wing just in front of the door! Then later, after my dalliance with racing, the first workshop I worked in, and then later became foreman, had a big display of Wynns products in the front accessory shop. Our boss would always upsell services by recommending flushing oil and "improvers" to the customers. Never aware of it doing any harm and it was a nice wee earner for the shop. I think we shifted quite a lot of product because the DIY brigade would always be in on Saturdays buying the products. The salesman would hold workshop demonstrations of product from time to time and the boss always let us attend - it added a nice wee extra 10 minutes or so to the morning tea break. The one which really stuck in my mind and I remember to this day was the demo of their radiator stop leak product. He took an old galvanized fire bucket and punched a few holes in it with a 6" nail. "so what's going to happen if I pour water in here"? "It's going to leak" we all yelled back at him, and it did. Then, with plenty of water still in the bucket, he poured a tin of their Stop Leak in and stirred it about. The leak stopped immediately. He held the bucket up and let us inspect it. You could see the water in the holes but it wasn't comming out! Now the clever bit he said and emptied the bucket before refilling it with fresh water whereupon it started leaking again. "So what's so clever about that" we all yelled. "The clever bit is that the product is fibrous and blocks the holes by having the fibres laying across it. When you clear the system out there's practically no residue left to block up other parts of the system and you can't say that of most other leak sealers" We used to sell quite a lot of the stuff and never had any complaints so I recon it probably worked. I've toiled over whether flushing is good or not. If the engine has frequent oil changes as recommended I don't recon it's needed. It definitely shifts crud out of old or neglected engines but I worry about its aggressive action loosening dirt from corners in lumps which might then go on to cause problems. When you strip small horticultural engines - Briggs and Stratton being a common one people will know - these engines have no filters and run basic SAE low detergent oils. If you change their oil at least once a year (I like to do one at the beginning of the season and then again mid summer. It's cheap oil and they only hold a couple of pints or so so why wouldn't you?) then they last for years. When you strip an old one down, and I've done many, you find the moving parts are nice and clean but there's hard sludge tucked away in all the corners. It just stays there and doesn't seem to play any part in harming the engine. So my theory is that it's better to let deposits like that just stay where they are or, if you must, be very slowly dissolved by an oil's detergent package rather than trying to shift it quickly and risking lumps breaking away and traveling around in the oil. Anyway, by our age Mike, we've become set in our ways and know what works for us.
As a youngster we had an "on call fireman" next door and hearing his pager through the house walls, him thumping down the stairs, then the scream of his cars engine at full blast from cold , it was no doubt why his cars didn't last.
Yup, keep revs within moderate limits and don't load the engine heavily at least until the coolant is fully up to temp. Remember though that the oil will take much longer. I really like that the modern VAG products allow you to bring up the oil temperature on the wee screen between the rev counter and speedo. I'm sure you mike and others on here will know but it's worth reminding everyone that, interestingly, the oil takes at least twice as long as the coolant to come up to temp from a cold start. I think this is very important on turboed engines and I never lean heavily on the throttle until the oil temp is up there. It's quite interesting keeping an eye on it on long journeys, especially when climbing long hills on the motorway - for instance climbing Shap - where it can rise noticeably due to the turbo working hard I'm sure. I think it's common now to find these small turboed units have auxilliary electric coolant pumps which maintain coolant circulation through the turbo after you shut the engine off - most now seem to have water cooled turbos - Probably a good idea but it's worth always letting a turboed engine tick over for a while after you stop moving if it's been working hard - so after climbing steep hills or stopping in a motorway service area - Why? because as soon as you turn the engine off the oil flow to the turbo bearings stops. The turbo casing and impellor spindle get blisteringly hot and if the oil doesn't flow it can be burnt onto the bearings and turbo spindle. Even just letting it idle for a couple of minutes is worth it as the turbo will be flowing cold air on it's intake side so cooling the casing and the engine oil circulating through the spindle bearings will cool them down too. One reason why turning your stop start off on longer journeys might be a good idea?

As I said my view differs from many here on that, so whatever works for you, as an apprentice late 60s we would drain the engine and refill with a proper flushing oil similar to paraffin in consistency and just run engine under a light load then drain and replace oil and filter, nowadays the tin of Wynns, which until it causes me a problem I am unlikely to change from.:)
Bit like the long time argument as to whether you should fill an oil filter before fitting. I always try to get as much oil in as I can so as to cut down on the time the engine runs with no pressure in the system but many argue that you're putting oil into the engine side of the filter so if there's any contamination in the new oil then it's going straight into the engine. I suppose you just make your choice and live with the outcome?

Same here. Wife's (girfriend/fiance,wife) Singer Chamois 1968. No.4 spark plug and thermostat being awful to get to. Then worn /perished heater hose running the lenght of the car throught the sills. Job I hated the most - valve clearance shimming. Cam shaft off job and with such soft alloy head/caps despite using a low force accurate torque wrench getting the gaps correct was a real challenge/pain.

Only good thing was like the Fiat 600D getting the engine out was pretty easy.
Oh yes, first job I ever did on one was the thermostat and having worked mostly on BMC stuff with the occasional Ford or Rootes product thrown in for variety, I couldn't believe how difficult it was. All the other men had found an excuse not to be around when that job card was issued, one guy even volunteered to clean out the steam cleaner bay!

Engine out was a doddle though, only 4 big nuts/bolts holding the engine to the gearbox, back body panel unbolted and you just either lifted it out or trundled it out on a trolley. The VW beetle was almost as easy.

Then worn /perished heater hose running the lenght of the car throught the sills. Job I hated the most - valve clearance shimming. Cam shaft off job and with such soft alloy head/caps despite using a low force accurate torque wrench getting the gaps correct was a real challenge/pain.
We had a bodyshop drill through a panel to rivet a trim clip on and wondered why water was leaking out on a Hillman Imp:)
One of the first valve shimming jobs I did was on a V8 Triumph Stag, the last one I did was on the 2.8 Sofim engine as in Iveco Daily and Fiat Ducato, so micrometer getting less use these days.

I don't really want to be sending bits off to the machine shop, so I am looking to do what I can at home, its never going to be a concourse car but it would be nice to have some faith in the engine before investing in the rest of the car.
Most of the workshops I worked in would automatically send heads off for a light skim regardless of whether they needed it or not. I think to reduce the possibility of the new gasket failing - head face would definitely be flat and "super clean" - however when I started building engines at home I bought an engineers straight edge and, after carefully cleaning the face, used it to check the head for flatness and warpage. Very seldom has it been necessary to get a head faced and never had gasket problems.

If I'm doing a head job I always carefully clean the threads in the block and slightly countersink (chamfer) the top of the threaded holes to ensure there's no thread pull to interfere with the clamping effort when the head bolts are fully tightened. To check if you've got any pulled threads then, with all bolts/studs removed take a smooth file and lay it flat on the face of the block over the stud holes. rub it back and forwards lightly and then have a look at the stud holes. If they have a bright ring round them then the file has removed metal and the threads are definitely pulled and, as long as not actually stripped, should be chamfered/countersunk

Most of the workshops I worked in would automatically send heads off for a light skim regardless of whether they needed it or not. I think to reduce the possibility of the new gasket failing - head face would definitely be flat and "super clean" - however when I started building engines at home I bought an engineers straight edge and, after carefully cleaning the face, used it to check the head for flatness and warpage. Very seldom has it been necessary to get a head faced and never had gasket problems.

If I'm doing a head job I always carefully clean the threads in the block and slightly countersink (chamfer) the top of the threaded holes to ensure there's no thread pull to interfere with the clamping effort when the head bolts are fully tightened. To check if you've got any pulled threads then, with all bolts/studs removed take a smooth file and lay it flat on the face of the block over the stud holes. rub it back and forwards lightly and then have a look at the stud holes. If they have a bright ring round them then the file has removed metal and the threads are definitely pulled and, as long as not actually stripped, should be chamfered/countersunk
We are reading from the same Hymn Sheet:)
Older Fords with cast iron heads very rarely needed skimming, alloy heads straight edge and feeler gauge.
I do check cast iron blocks these days if serious overheating, after having a machine shop fit new solid pressed in liners and had gasket blow in under 200 miles due to them leaving the cylinder block resembling a drain gutter.

Pulled the trigger on a new head gasket full set with valve stem oil seals, and new head bolts. all for the grand sum of £35, I need to get a spring compressor. some valve grinding paste and some other bits but should come to no more than another £35. The exhaust gasket needs doing anyway given the plumes of blue smoke from the exhaust manifold immediately on starting after the wet compression test. there is also a leak in the exhaust somewhere under the car, so I my look at getting a new exhaust including a new manifold, have found a nice 4into1 pipe for about 135 euros. add in the throttle body from a 1.6 and some light porting/polishing and the engine will be able to breath a lot easier.

The horrible cast iron exhaust manifold it currently has fitted is only likely to be costing power. Assuming the engine is otherwise healthy then 100hp should be within reach.

I have seen a mk2 with the same engine on youtube with printouts showing 110hp with an uprated cam

worst case I have also been on autodoc and a set of piston rings is £16 a set of bearing shells is about £20 or @StevenRB45 found a full set of oversize Pistons/conrods rings and bearings for about 135euros which if it comes to that I will have the block bored and honed.

Normally i'd not go to such an extent on such a cheap old engine, but they are getting few and far between these days and it can be more hassle than it's worth to track down a suitable replacement which could have similar unseen problems. also I quite fancy the challenge of the rebuild having not done one before.

Last edited:
It's probably the closest you're going to get to a zero jeopardy major job.

Yes it's a rare car...but it's also one that looking at it was heading for a scrap yard shortly.

I'm also very glad you decided to attack the engine before the body as initially I was a little worried you would end up with a pretty but intrinsically unwell car.

Worst comes to the worst it'll be an adventure...and a reasonably small (in terms of cars) financial loss.

Last edited:
Worst case there is a good market for all the bits from this car lol.

I’m still not massively concerned there is anything too wrong with the engine, just very unloved and coked up. A bit of love and I think it will be right a rain again

My main concern is idiot number 1 (me) will make something worse in messing about with it.

I am going to flush the oil, as the car is not being used through the winter I think it only fair I give it a good clean out with something before I start pulling it apart to try and remove what I can. As it’s coming apart I don’t think an oil flush is going to do it any damage compared to my ham fists once I get in there

Worst case there is a good market for all the bits from this car lol.

I’m still not massively concerned there is anything too wrong with the engine, just very unloved and coked up. A bit of love and I think it will be right a rain again

My main concern is idiot number 1 (me) will make something worse in messing about with it.

I am going to flush the oil, as the car is not being used through the winter I think it only fair I give it a good clean out with something before I start pulling it apart to try and remove what I can. As it’s coming apart I don’t think an oil flush is going to do it any damage compared to my ham fists once I get in there
I think if you take your time and lots of photos as you go along it should be fine. I always found rebuilding engines quite satisfying. Apart from trying to keep original (if it is) engine numbers etc. is there any chance you could obtain the same type of engine and rebuild that, so to keep one spare that, all be it not perfect but as parts get harder to obtain a useful back up?

So I’ve not taken the head off yet, I still need to be able to move it for the time being to do some other things in the garage, but I am building up the collection of tools needed for the job.

One thing is for sure this is a hydraulic tappet engine, as there is no cam cover it is a cam carrier so when you take the top off the cams come with it, this means there is no way to set or space shims as you’d not get to the tappets with the cam carrier on.

I have to admit I have not pulled apart one of these engines before, most of my experience comes from Ford engines which are pretty conventional.

So I need to get the car out of the garage so I can mount the 4 metre long 80cm high Fiat logo on the wall.
I’m also working on the wheels at the same time.

I should ask @ben to turn this into a build thread.

This week I have been mostly searching for things to do such as repairing the irreplaceable intake pipe they no longer make but always splits and I have put new insets in the air filter box so that bolts down now. Also treated it to some hose clips.
IMG_2316.jpeg

The wheels have no tires on now a courtesy of the garage who MOTd the wife’s mini
IMG_2166.jpeg

With his second birthday coming up and being obsessed with tools and cars (diggers, tractors, trains you get the gist) I have told everyone only to buy him tools for his birthday, he needs a set of valve spring compressors and timing tools for a Fiat 1.2 16v.
The Ribe bits for taking the head off arrived today, I went with Nielsen in the end
IMG_2327.jpeg

My children used to love playing in the garage when young, I even got them to write their names using a Mig welder on a piece of scrap metal. HSE regs. of course. Wife may not appreciate this, once the tools have gained that "used patina" and "anti rust" oil treatment.;).
Re shims, if hydraulic tappets / cam followers then they are self adjusting so if in good order , "fit and forget", however if they currently run quiet and are going to be reused I would advise keeping them in the order they come out to reduce wear in mismatched parts, the same for valve order also, I use a thick piece of cardboard suitable marked also important leave them in a engine oil filled container so they don't drain. This way it should start up quietly after rebuild.
Regarding son's "birthday presents" make sure the doners get the correct valve spring compressor to fit in deep cylinder heads as older styles don't. I had to invest when doing multivalve heads on smaller modern engines. Plus the collets are very small, so suitable means of removing and replacing, like tweezers and magnetic tools , for me my reading glasses were needed too.
By the way, I can't help noticing your son's food bowl is empty.:love:

Last edited:
Back