General New Ducato engines.

Currently reading:
General New Ducato engines.

Vannabe

I am looking to buy a van to convert into a camper and decided that the Ducato was going to be the best choice as I was told it had a better engine than the Relay/Boxer. Looking at the new models though, I noticed that the engine is now a 2.2L instead of the 2.3L . Are Fiat now fitting the same engine that's in the Peugeot/Citroen?
Tia.

I am looking to buy a van to convert into a camper and decided that the Ducato was going to be the best choice as I was told it had a better engine than the Relay/Boxer. Looking at the new models though, I noticed that the engine is now a 2.2L instead of the 2.3L . Are Fiat now fitting the same engine that's in the Peugeot/Citroen?
Tia.
So are they all fitted with Fiat engines now or Peugeot/Citroen ?

"In 2022, the Ducato and ProMaster received a redesigned dashboard and the 948TE nine-speed automatic transmission as standard equipment for the ProMaster and optional for the Ducato. The Ducato also receives the 2.2L turbo diesel used by its PSA counterparts,"

"In the past, the Fiat Ducato’s engine options differed from those offered in the otherwise similar Citroën Relay and Peugeot Boxer, and this made the Ducato stand out. Times have changed, though, and it is now a shared group engine that finds its way under the bonnet. It’s no disaster, though, because the 2.2-litre turbodiesel engine that Fiat calls Multijet 3 is an economical performer and comes with a range of power ratings."

I've seen this questioned before, and regardless of widespread documentation that the engines are now the same, this has been called into question.

Certainly, current technical information from Peugeot quotes the capacity at 2179cc, whereas Fiat quote 2184cc.

In addition, pictures posted to support the fact that they are not the same show a significant difference in geometry between the two.

The truth is in there somewhere!

Hi

Stellantis offered a 83.8 mm Bore x 99.0 mm Stroke (2184 cc) diesel engine in the Jeep Cherokee from 2015 onwards, so I guess it's possible their latest Ducato engine is a detuned version of this design. No current engine dimension information found on the official Fiat van website, unfortunately.

Citroen's Van website lists a 85.0 mm bore x 96.0 mm Stroke (2179 cc) Euro 6.4 engine for the current Relay

Peugeot's Van website lists a 2179 cc "Blue HDi" engine for the current Boxer

According to Parker's article on the Ducato, "Now it’s fitted with what Fiat calls new ‘Multijet3’ turbodiesels, which are the same as the latest BlueHDi motors developed by Peugeot and Citroen."

So I suspect that they are now all fitted with the same 2179 cc engine, but happy to be proved wrong !

Hi

No current engine dimension information found on the official Fiat van website, unfortunately.

Au contraire (which is why and others have raised the question).

If you expand the "Powertrain" section on this current webpage:

..you will see it quotes 2184cc (for all versions - and yes, the official quote for Peugeot/Citroen is 2179cc)

1674232911602.jpeg

The 2184cc is carried on the "Fiat Camper" website, and the quoted torque figures are mildly different to the Peugeot for the various matching power outputs (the Fiat ones being slightly higher).

As I said, I saw a similar discussion where someone had posted pictures of the two engines, and they did look different (unfortunately, I can't find that discussion :confused:).

Prior to that, I also thought they were using the same engine, but I'm now doubtful.

The 2.2L engine in the Ducato is not the same engine as the 2.2L used in the Boxer/Relay/Movano.

The PSA engine is the DW12RU made at the PSA Powertrain plant in Tremery, Moselle.
The Ducato engine is the Multijet3 'Family B' made at the Pratola Serra plant nr. Avellino, Italy.

The Ducato engine was first used in 2016 in the Jeep Cherokee where it was also mated to the 9s auto box, so readily available to FCA.
Hence why only Ducato is available with the 9s auto while Boxer/Relay/Movano only have the 6s manual available (we know why they don't have access to the Comfortmatic..)

There are some major visible differences (clearly Parkers and other early reviewers as mentioned above didn't bother to lift the bonnet) but the most obvious one is the exhaust and DPF location:
- the PSA DW12's DPF is down the back of the engine in the 'traditional' location between engine and heat-shielded bulkhead.
- the Multijet3's DPF is front-mounted between engine block and fans/radiators, brought forward by the Family B's 'integrated exhaust manifold and turbo' with the exhaust going rearward underneath the engine in a cutout between the sump and bellhousing.

Last edited:
"In 2022, the Ducato and ProMaster received a redesigned dashboard and the 948TE nine-speed automatic transmission as standard equipment for the ProMaster and optional for the Ducato. The Ducato also receives the 2.2L turbo diesel used by its PSA counterparts,"

"In the past, the Fiat Ducato’s engine options differed from those offered in the otherwise similar Citroën Relay and Peugeot Boxer, and this made the Ducato stand out. Times have changed, though, and it is now a shared group engine that finds its way under the bonnet. It’s no disaster, though, because the 2.2-litre turbodiesel engine that Fiat calls Multijet 3 is an economical performer and comes with a range of power ratings."

Yeah but..

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 167
Yeah but..
But the iveco retains its 2287cc and designation from FPT as F1, and variants based on power output
The PSA 2.2, then PSA/Ford, has been through three generations, yet is only listed as two distinct engine series DW12/DW12C2/ZSD, yes I know there are sun-variants, all vey confusing (ignore Wikipedia that gets it wrong)…DW12 being 16v and largely reported to be with the Ford Europe 16v head (developed in UK, production moved to EU). The latest incarnation being different for PSA and Ford but sharing components…it was so much easier to follow the old XUA designations that seem to have been consigned to history
Anyway…the allegedly ‘Fiat’ 2.2 engine does not appear to have the designation of that in the Jeeps, nor that of an Iveco or FPT, maybe they’re just consolidating numbering now that they’re all under the same umbrella

These 2 pictures give a good illustration of an immediate difference when looking under the bonnets of the PSA and Fiat variants - it really does only take a quick look to determine that they're not the same powerplant, something the early review writers clearly didn't do.

Picture #1 is an out-of-vehicle shot of the rear of a Boxer's PSA DW12RU engine showing the DPF tucked down the rear of the engine in the same position as on 2.3L Euro6 Ducatos.

Picture #2 is taken looking under the front of 2.2L Jeep-engined Ducato and shows the DPF mounted diagonally across the front of the engine, with the exhaust then routing rearward underneath the engine. The 9s gearbox can also be seen.

Attachments

• Boxer DW12RU rear 2.JPG
    Boxer DW12RU rear 2.JPG
    182.3 KB · Views: 295
  • Multijet3 front 3.JPG
    Multijet3 front 3.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 319
The alternator looks unusually accessible in Pic #2 :)

But the oil filter seems to have disappeared :(

I don't think that's the alternator - looks more like a coolant pump of some sort with maybe aircon compressor above it.
The alternator seems to be well hidden at the rear just above the replaceable element type oil filter, highlighted on picture.

Multijet3 rear 1.jpg

Tia.

I have the multijet 3 in my Ducato based motorhome, has anyone found a company that will do a remap on this engine? to be fair to the engine I don't find myself having to drop a gear to go uphill but a bit of extra bhp would go a miss (140bhp standard)

Just purchased new fiat motorhome and was a bit confused about engine supplier have fount this.

Attachments

• IMG_0147.jpeg
    IMG_0147.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 161
Back