General How To Repair Fiat Ppunto Wiper Linkage

Currently reading:
General How To Repair Fiat Ppunto Wiper Linkage

i got a wiper linkage repair clip on my punto, works very well have not had a problem with it now.just check you youtube video of how to install

i did another splendiferous repair today using washes welded on the removed cassette wiper mechanism
i also did a further modification where i double looped a cable tie under the arm so that the moving part sits squarely on the bush
on using the wipers they ran super smooth so negating this possible judder issue some of you guys mention

for the record i havent tried the ebay clips but have volunteered to customers on a budget they may wish to fit them
last customer casually mentioned as i was to repair accident damage on his car that while i had it i could just do a quick fix with some cable ties for him,i declined his offer of doing the bodge and noticed the arms were held on with sellotape:eek:

i dont kid

Hi Guys,

My punto drivers side wiper just stopped working so have ordered one of those repair clips from amazon. I fitted one on a micra and is working fine. Just one question - is it easy to access the linkage on my punto - have not had a look yet.

Many Thanks

Hi Guys,

My punto drivers side wiper just stopped working so have ordered one of those repair clips from amazon. I fitted one on a micra and is working fine. Just one question - is it easy to access the linkage on my punto - have not had a look yet.

Many Thanks

Yes
It'd help if you activate wipers and then turn ignition off when it was at near max of its travel
There is quiet a reasonable space to get the linkages under scuttle pannel

Those clips do work yes - but the issue lies that plastic bushing is dying, and it'll only get more and more sloppy till the wipers dont go full travel OR start smacking each other

I've nut and bolted mine, but it wont last :(

I've started hearing them wacking the scuttle pannel

Ziggy

Hi - ok cheers for that, will i have to remove the linkage or will there will enough space to fit the clip in situe?

Cheers

Hi - ok cheers for that, will i have to remove the linkage or will there will enough space to fit the clip in situe?

Cheers

Hi i have a clip fitted holding mine together and its been there a good few months now. Fits fine and i simply put the linkage back together then slid the clip over.

Never had an issue apart from the odd squeak

Hi There,

Did you manage to fit the clip without removing the whole linkage? BTW i have 2004 active.

Cheers

Hi - ok cheers for that - just waiting for the clip to arrive.

Many thanks for your reply

Rob

Free Fix

Fixed my driver side with a Cable Tie (CT)

Position the wipers at their highest point on the windscreen.

You will see there is a hole through the uppermost link about 4mm diameter. Thread your CT through this hole until the large end of the CT won't go through the hole..and position it so that the "underside" of the CT is facing towards the engine..... (that means.. to finish the job, you will be pushing the thin end of the CT from the engine side towards the windscreen through the eye of the CT).

Connect the link (that is falling off) onto the the balljoint of the upper link.

Then bring the thin end of the CT from underneath towards the engine, up and over the link that is falling off, around the back, down, and underneath to the front, up again and thread it through the CT eye.

So you have made an infinity loop or figure of 8 with the CT.

Tighten it, pretty tight but not too tight.

:)

Free Fix

Fixed my driver side with a Cable Tie (CT)

Position the wipers at their highest point on the windscreen.

You will see there is a hole through the uppermost link about 4mm diameter. Thread your CT through this hole until the large end of the CT won't go through the hole..and position it so that the "underside" of the CT is facing towards the engine..... (that means.. to finish the job, you will be pushing the thin end of the CT from the engine side towards the windscreen through the eye of the CT).

Connect the link (that is falling off) onto the the balljoint of the upper link.

Then bring the thin end of the CT from underneath towards the engine, up and over the link that is falling off, around the back, down, and underneath to the front, up again and thread it through the CT eye.

So you have made an infinity loop or figure of 8 with the CT.

Tighten it, pretty tight but not too tight.

:)
ive done this before it don't last long in rainy season

make sure you carry spare ties with you

I have not read the whole thread exhaustively but I believe I may be able to lay claim to the quickest and cheapest fix bar none. It costs nothing and needs no tools.

The short story:- Get angry and squeeze or pull the linkage on to the ball joint with as much force as you can. Don't stop when it initially engages. The result is that it will snap past the ball joint and remain behind it. The mechanism still works fine and no longer falls off the ball joint. This should work for driver or passenger linkage. For the double central linkage use the clips you can buy. Recommend you grease it thoroughly to extend the longevity of the fix.

N.B. In its 'forced behind the ball joint state' I found I could not fit a clip for the clip repair but I also assessed that it was not needed as you have the whole unused surface of the underside of the plastic socket to wear away against the ball. If you live long enough to see that happen you could still then fit a clip.;)

The long story:-

When my daughter's Punto lost the drivers side wiper I snapped it back into place and it fell off, fell off, fell off. :bang: Getting a little frustrated I yanked it hard and squeezed the linkage together (expect many ooh err comments) It snapped into place with a much louder click and has not come off since, circa 6 months.

Recently I took the assembly apart to affect the 'clip' repair, which I recommend. With the assembly removed I could see that the linkage had been forced behind the ball joint so the under surface of the plastic socket was held behind the ball, rather than on it. It was very solid so I used a clip repair on the double linkage, to reinforce that, and left my fix as is. Should work just as well on the passenger side.

You will find the videos to remove the assembly and fit clips on you tube. Although my accidental fix is great as a roadside repair if you do decide to remove the motor assembly you have the benefit of being able to inspect the linkages properly, fit clips as a preventative measure and you will also have access to clear the drain holes under the motor to stop that area flooding.

I've repaired mine and my daughters wiper linkage by removing the whole unit and place a snug fitting washer behind the ball joint and tap with a hammer a bur on the end of the shaft to stop washer falling off. Put some grease on the ball joints and you will have nice smooth wiper movement.

The cheap way:

jp8v3o.jpg

Last edited:
I have used 2 old linkages to make one decent one, measure cut and pop rivet together (as it's U shaped you can expand one rod and put the other inside and rivet together) get a new rod with 2 good ends!

Back