Technical Ducato 2.8 won't start

Currently reading:
Technical Ducato 2.8 won't start

Pop98

Hello there I live on Merseyside and have a sick 2004 2.8 Ducato motorhome any recommendations for a local mobile diagnostic/mechanic to come along and diagnose/repair.
There appears to be no fuel getting to the filter which I replaced after the vehicle wouldn't start.
any help much appreciated
fault codes p1671 and p0215 show up on odbc scanner

Does sound like you need a good auto electrician.
I assume you are not a hands on mechanic yourself? If so I would suggest locating the fuel pump relay and put a fused test probe to the pump side and see if fuel then gets to the filter, if activating the pump in the tank doesn't get fuel up then the pump in the tank needs checking.
If fuel does come up then either the relay is faulty or the operating wires to it.
I had similar to that on a Fiat Grande Punto some years ago and the negative switching wire to the relay had rotted through just by the ECU, but wires can fail anywhere.;)

I agree about using the servces of an auto electrician. A 2004 2.8 Ducato, will be an x244 2.8jtd model. The attached drawing of the engine bay fusebox, will be generally applicable for identifying the fuel pump relay.
You will not need the ignition ON, for testing the fuel pump, as suggested by Mike. Please note that if you switch the ignition ON with the relay removed, the ECU wlll raise an alarm. Also take care around the main supply terminal, as it is supplied via a 150A mega fuse, on the battery fuseboard.

Attachments

• Fusebox B001 Engine Bay.pdf
    191.2 KB · Views: 14
Just home from work ..
Off tomorrow many thanks for your reply I shall act upon it in the morning

It's been 3 months now and everybody who comes and plugs it into a tablet or laptop via the odb port is left scratching there head then goes away assuring me they will be back after doing some more research and there never seen again.
My problem is it's in my yard at the rear of my house and without engine power it would be almost impossible to get it out .( Barely enough room to manoeuvre under its own power and not enough room for a tow vehicle).
Any recommendations as to where I may find a competent mobile auto electrician/mechanic would be much appreciated.

Any help greatly appreciated Man thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_20240503_150957.jpg
    IMG_20240503_150957.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 9
No luck with locksmith both keys and immobiliser are communicating with one another.
Locksmith tells me it not part of his skill set looking for electrical faults

Have you managed to get fuel to the filter?

The code P1671 is manufacturer specific, but may be suggesting a fuel pressure regulator fault, however if there is no fuel to the hp pump, then there will be no pressure to regulate, or is the ECU seeing the regulator as disconnected?

Code P0215 is commonly allocated to "fuel cutoff solenoid", which does not exist in the 2.8jtd. I have found mention after an online search of P0215 relating to the main injection relay. This would make more sense as relay T09, is the main injection relay. If not being operated by the ECU, engine will not start.

Both of these codes could be symptoms of faulty wiring.

Low pressure pump in tank is now filling fuel filter and so I assume(?) fuel is available to HP pump but when I crack open injector (1) there's no fuel leakage when cranking engine.
Where is the main injector relay located ???.
Many thanks in advance

I think the p1671 code relates to the solenoid regulation valve on the high pressure pump or it's wiring.
If the regulation solenoid valve is not working no fuel will enter the high pressure pump .

I think what I need is a competent auto electrician but were do I find one??.
The minute I mention the words "it's a Fiat Ducato mate" it seems to frighten them off

Low pressure pump in tank is now filling fuel filter and so I assume(?) fuel is available to HP pump but when I crack open injector (1) there's no fuel leakage when cranking engine.
Where is the main injector relay located ???.
Many thanks in advance
I have been researching Fiat eLearn, for 2.8jtd, and where better written that for the 2.0jtd, both of which use the Bosch EDC 15C7 ECU.

The ECU has to have several conditions satisfied, before injection is allowed. One condition is that fuel pressure is greater than 120 Bar, another is that the hp pressure regulator must be "seen" by the ECU. (The ECU shuts down if electric regulator valve is not detected.)
Without a supply to the hp regulator valve the hp pump output is restricted to 100 Bar.

Relay T9 is described as the main injection relay, so starting cannot take place until it is operated. It is not clear to me whether the ECU inhibits injection via T9, or more directly by internal connections, but either way we need T9, and the hp regulator to be seen by the ECU.

I could have arrived at an incorrect conclusion. Helpful comments are welcome.

I think what I need is a competent auto electrician but were do I find one??.
The minute I mention the words "it's a Fiat Ducato mate" it seems to frighten them off
Do not mention motorhome. They may be thinking A class, most of which have restricted access to the engine.

Back