Technical Ducato 2.8 JTD - Your input is most welcome

Currently reading:
Technical Ducato 2.8 JTD - Your input is most welcome

Orkney Laika

Hello All

I have a Laika Ecovip 3L camper on a Fiat Ducato base (2001).

I have just come back from a 700 mile trip and I seem to have a technical problem.

The first 400 miles were without incident. I put fuel in at a private garage and shortly after I started getting weird symptoms.

The injector fault light would come on but with no loss of power

The main cooling fan would come on at the same time

On the odd occasion there would be a momentary loss of power, followed by the injector light going out and the engine running rough for a second or so, followed by the light coming back on momentarily, the engine went smooth and the light went out.

I did a bit of digging here and put in fuel additive to clean the system. All good for the next 100 miles and then the above came back, so more fuel and more additive and the symptoms happen occasionally, always light with fan running.

Has anyone come across this before and, if so, what did you do to cure it.

Many thanks in advance

Hello All

I have a Laika Ecovip 3L camper on a Fiat Ducato base (2001).

I have just come back from a 700 mile trip and I seem to have a technical problem.

The first 400 miles were without incident. I put fuel in at a private garage and shortly after I started getting weird symptoms.

The injector fault light would come on but with no loss of power

The main cooling fan would come on at the same time

On the odd occasion there would be a momentary loss of power, followed by the injector light going out and the engine running rough for a second or so, followed by the light coming back on momentarily, the engine went smooth and the light went out.

I did a bit of digging here and put in fuel additive to clean the system. All good for the next 100 miles and then the above came back, so more fuel and more additive and the symptoms happen occasionally, always light with fan running.

Has anyone come across this before and, if so, what did you do to cure it.

Many thanks in advance
You do not mention it, but have you considered the possibility aof water in fuel. Perhaps try draining the fuel filter, which will probably be of the metal cannister type. See attachment.

Attachments

• 2.8jtd Fuel Filter.pdf
    191.9 KB · Views: 12
Hello

Thank you, I had an inkling it might be water, it was the symptoms that were weird. Warning light + main fan.

Busy building my wife's new e-bike and camper next.

Will let you know how I geton in a bit

Thanks

Neil

Hello

Thank you, I had an inkling it might be water, it was the symptoms that were weird. Warning light + main fan.

Busy building my wife's new e-bike and camper next.

Will let you know how I geton in a bit

Thanks

Neil

Not proven. Just a suggestion to be investigated.

Yes the operation of the cooling fan is strange. On the 2.8jtd the fan is controlled by the ECU, with a sensor mounted close to the thermostat. It is possible that water has entered somewhere other than the fuel tank.

Got to the bottom of it, the fan was the clincher. Once the OBD port was found, all it said there were temperature problems, which led us to the sensor that feeds the information to the ECU.

Although it is nearly new, it had corroded slightly on the inside creating a bridge to the outer case.

Swapped it for the old one which I had kept as it was only changed because the temperature gauge thermostat was changed.

Fault gone and van back to normal.

Thanks for your input.

Back