What's made you smile today?

Currently reading:
What's made you smile today?

I think I do know what you mean...given the water bed suspension on ours there's a feeling of "balancing" the car. It's entirely possible to make it lunge and lurch on the throttle if done in a cack handed manner. Driving it fast with passengers always puts me in mind of carrying a pile of something slippery fast (games in sellophane perhaps from an old job)...get the force applied wrong or in the wrong direction it falls over.

A modern engine is probably less likely to be "machined with a knife and fork by the council"...to borrow a phrase so less crud to self clearance. Although if I'd realised we'd still have it 7 years later the running in period may have been less full on. At least it never really got to be used at low rpm until later in life as it's not particularly happy at low rpm boosting on E10..it used to live above 1750 it just never had smooth lugging power that seems to have arrived with higher octane E5 from lower in the revs.

Last edited:
Sat Nav - Didn't really need it because I know this route so well I can do it with eyes closed
Best use of sat nav is zoomed in to the map so you can see the lie of the road, particularly at night for identifying when an overtake may be possible. I find its a usefu tool for seeing where the road is going in general. I just wish I had infra red headlights and radar too. As I get older and if driving at night it does help to enable more concentration on the road and possible obstacles rather than worrying about where the road goes next. Its only a rough guide but does warn of sharp bends. Waze re routing round obstructions works very well... if I trust it. (most of the time)

I can't help but see a lot of similarities between the skoda and my Golf, that said the golf is a generation behind the Scala and is a whole different beast with yours being an estate and mine being a Cabrio, but never the less there are still a lot of comparisons. Mine is the 2.0L TDI EA288 engine, that being said there are so many variations of this engine, I have singled mine down to being a ?CRUA what ever that actually means.

Again there are differences in the gearing, but I can relate to your issues with 1st gear being very short. It really is a get you rolling gear but because of the Bluemotion tech it is not a car that likes to pull away in second, something I used to quite commonly do with my old 1.3 Diesel Punto.
Then once in second you get a nice long run in each gear before having to change up. It will drive at 60mph in 3rd quite happily for that overtaking maneuver you needs to make, and will plod in 6th at 45mph or 5th at 40 if running around town. they really have got the gearing right on these cars now. Vw seem to have it down to a tee.

The cooling glove box is activated by a nozzle you turn inside the glovebox which opens an aircon vent into the glovebox. I have found it very useful when I have wanted a chilled biro or suncream.... actually chilled suncream is really nice if you have any sort of sun burn and being more pale than your average tin of B&Q trade white paint, I use a lot of sun cream.

I found I could get a special bag for holding a quart of oil which I have in the boot hidden in a little compartment in the side of the boot. There is also a set you can get with first aid kit, warning triangle and high viz jackets I know there are a lot of companies on ebay that do a lot of clearance dealership stuff that is all OEM, I follow them for the VW stuff but happy to point you in that direction if interested.

What is the kerb weight of the Scala, I suspect it might actually be less than my car.
The infotainment stuff is really not all that complicated. VW stuff is surprisingly easy once you have worked one you can work them all. Not a lot changes.

Mine being the diesel, and having more torque it sits at about 1500rpm in 6th at 70mph. That being said I get nothing like 57mpg but that's because I let Mrs K drive it and while she thinks she is really economical... she isn't.

The cooling glove box is activated by a nozzle you turn inside the glovebox which opens an aircon vent into the glovebox. I have found it very useful when I have wanted a chilled biro or suncream.... actually chilled suncream is really nice if you have any sort of sun burn and being more pale than your average tin of B&Q trade white paint, I use a lot of sun cream.

Thanks for that, I'll take a look for that nozzle. Chilled suncream sounds an excellent idea.
I found I could get a special bag for holding a quart of oil which I have in the boot hidden in a little compartment in the side of the boot. There is also a set you can get with first aid kit, warning triangle and high viz jackets I know there are a lot of companies on ebay that do a lot of clearance dealership stuff that is all OEM, I follow them for the VW stuff but happy to point you in that direction if interested.

I'm afraid I carry a large box of "useful" stuff like the 4 litre oil can, fire extinguisher, electric tyre pump, spare bulb set, roll of blue paper towel, small tube of Comma Manista, 2 litre bottle of coolant and 2 litre bottle of screenwash for top ups and more. First aid box lives in the boot cubby hole on the left with the hi viz jacket and the triangle tucks behind the spares box between the box and the back seat upright. The tools of course live in with the spare wheel! Amazing really that there's any room left for luggage etc!
What is the kerb weight of the Scala, I suspect it might actually be less than my car.
The infotainment stuff is really not all that complicated. VW stuff is surprisingly easy once you have worked one you can work them all. Not a lot changes.

I haven't looked in the owners hand book but a website quotes the Scala at 1216 to 1318 Kg kerb weight depending on trim version - I would guess mine is at the lower end being only an SE trim. The same site quotes 1650KGg Gross weight - take your pick?

Mine being the diesel, and having more torque it sits at about 1500rpm in 6th at 70mph. That being said I get nothing like 57mpg but that's because I let Mrs K drive it and while she thinks she is really economical... she isn't.

These would be more equivalent to a 1.6 diesel..the 1.5tsi scala would be your cars equivalent.

Although the "headline" figure is largely meaningless anyway we had 1.6d it had 3lb/ft more than a 1.2 petrol turbo..but it generated peak torque for precisely 500rpm then you had to change up. So while the headline figure may be less if it's being generated for 2500rpm you get more response more of the time and need to spend less time changing up and down to chase it round the power band once up and running.

Ours may be flattered by the made of egg boxes kerb weight of 1050ish..

I'm afraid I carry a large box of "useful" stuff like the 4 litre oil can, fire extinguisher, electric tyre pump, spare bulb set, roll of blue paper towel, small tube of Comma Manista, 2 litre bottle of coolant and 2 litre bottle of screenwash for top ups and more. First aid box lives in the boot cubby hole on the left with the hi viz jacket and the triangle tucks behind the spares box between the box and the back seat upright. The tools of course live in with the spare wheel! Amazing really that there's any room left for luggage etc!
Sounds like you need one of these
And maybe one of these
I haven't looked in the owners hand book but a website quotes the Scala at 1216 to 1318 Kg kerb weight depending on trim version - I would guess mine is at the lower end being only an SE trim. The same site quotes 1650KGg Gross weight - take your pick?
So my hand book lists my golf at 1505kg with a gross weight of 1970kg for my engine and gearbox combination but. The engine and power dictates the spec so they’ve not listed differences for spec. So much heavier even though it’s probably a smaller car, shows how much weight chopping the roof off adds.

And the engine code is apparently CUUB, this is the first time in nearly 9 years I have even opened this page of the manual and I think only the second time opening the manual total.

I have however found my new favorite part of any user manual it actually give you a physics lesson

image.jpg

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I have however found my new favorite part of any user manual it actually give you a physics lesson

View attachment 443426

I do sometimes wonder if the manual authors get paid by the word.

The Mazda had a hefty tome however the section that sticks in the mind was dedicated to explanation of the electromagnetic spectrum complete with diagrams of Long wave radio bouncing off the ionosphere. At least the physics of a collision is somewhat relevant..

Sounds like you need one of these
Rather like the look of that. Just now I have a heavy duty vinyl mat which covers the whole boot floor and can be folded out to cover the back bumper and protect it when loading awkward items. Works well. Not quite so sure if I want to spend that much money on a fancy rubber mat?

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
All vag stuff is the same, just depends how much you want to be ripped off as you go up the foodchain.
they are really not, but there are a lot of similar engineering principles used.

years ago an Audi A3 would look a lot like a golf on the inside this is very much not the case now and almost no "visible" cross over between the two if you get in them.

Thanks for that, I'll take a look for that nozzle. Chilled suncream sounds an excellent idea.

So, not far off an LGV. Thank heaven you also have a Panda to balance things up! I keep having to put my thoughts about a Jag back in the box. Each ride in Noop - TA 4X4- restores my common sense. We are off to the west country next week the choice is the Panda or our Turbo 4x4 Italian supercar..... (Noop)

Rather like the look of that. Just now I have a heavy duty vinyl mat which covers the whole boot floor and can be folded out to cover the back bumper and protect it when loading awkward items. Works well. Not quite so sure if I want to spend that much money on a fancy rubber mat?
Nows the time. Dont delay.... I have the Panda one and I do like being able to throw wet muddy boots in. I will power wash it if needed. So far its only needed vacuum and a dry cloth. The lip round the sides is good. It keeps the spare wheel well clean too. Its mad really. You dont get anymore trade in for a near perfect car than a pretty average condition one. So its probably more financially sensible to not bother.

All vag stuff is the same, just depends how much you want to be ripped off as you go up the foodchain.
Broadly I agree. But these days its much mire about which one makes you feel good and who does the best colour. I feel good the lower the overall annual cost. So the rust old Seat at £300 a year all in including tyres and maintebance over 23 years is goid. It still looks very tidy and is still ok to drive too. Daffo is nearer £1000 per year and overall has a lower feel good especially as it isnt that nice at the moment. Ive just had to respray half the o/s sill too. Ruby is a little bit over £1060 annual but is sweet to drive and Noop is c £3000 but a joy to drive. Hopefully the annual cost is dropping fast now. Working out total overall costs does focus the mind.

they are really not, but there are a lot of similar engineering principles used.
It's all the same underneath, just adding a few bits of expensive tat to justify the cost, and give the owners a smug feeling when looking at a seat or shkoda. But mainly latter as it's all status with most vag owners

Don't you own a Nissan Juke which shares the same platform as a dozen other cars with the juke being probably the most expensive of them?

Also the juke was historically the "fashionable" version of the Qashqai with 3 doors and less practicality.

It's all the same underneath, just adding a few bits of expensive tat to justify the cost, and give the owners a smug feeling when looking at a seat or shkoda. But mainly latter as it's all status with most vag owners

^^^^^^^
One day someone will say something new but this is the same tripe that everyone one who ever hated VW always comes up with. It would be nice is one day someone had a new opinion rather than regurgitating this over and over.

Literally every major car company do this, or they go bust.

So do tell me what makes Nissan any different in rehashing the same platform with some slightly more attractive bits and putting the price up???

What makes the Juke demonstrably better than a Clio ?

Every single person who makes a choice about what car they want to drive is making a decision on what that car will say about them whether consciously or not.
VW owners do not drive around feeling "Smug" over people who bought a Skoda or a SEAT, The only people who think that are people who covert something they perceive to be better and and form this weird Idea that those with a VW some how car about what everyone else is driving.
There is actually a name for this, its called the Spotlight effect, a very interesting component of Social Psychology.

So while there may be some teenagers in a supermarket car park on a friday night who think their Audi is subjectively better than their mates Seat. The vast majority of people who do own an Audi literally couldn't care less. the same applies to VW owners, Nissan owners, even owners of multiple super cars are not losing sleep or having smug thoughts about whether or not someone has a golf a SEAT or a Skoda.

The people who actually pay attention and care are the people who keep perpetuating the exact same thing you've said in your comments above. incapable of being happy for someone at getting something they wanted.

Nows the time. Dont delay.... I have the Panda one and I do like being able to throw wet muddy boots in. I will power wash it if needed. So far its only needed vacuum and a dry cloth. The lip round the sides is good. It keeps the spare wheel well clean too.
Well, Mrs J is keen for us to get a set of proper fitted carpets - After a couple of weeks in deepest darkest Devon, in amongst the farming community, I'm afraid the carpets in Bluey are in a right old mess. Maybe I could work a bit of a deal if I buy both carpet set and boot liner at the same time?
Its mad really. You dont get anymore trade in for a near perfect car than a pretty average condition one. So its probably more financially sensible to not bother.
I would have agreed absolutely with that statement until the man at "Uncle Arnold's" offered almost £1500 more for the Ibiza than any of the other deals I'd been offered, saying that it was the nicest trade in he'd taken all year. Probably a load of sales bull***t and he took the money off me somewhere else - but if he did he was very clever about it because I'd already agreed the Scala price before accepting the trade in value. I suppose what matters is that at the end of the day when we were coughing up the Moola we felt we'd got a good deal.

As regards "image". I'd probably be lying if I said it didn't matter at all to me but it's a pretty low priority. I really like driving around in the Panda, not just because she's fun to drive but also because noone expects you to "compete" in any way. So I can just bumble along, anonymously, drawing a minimum of attention to myself.

There was a fair bit of that attitude in play when choosing the Skoda. It's a pretty anonymous "non aggressive" vehicle and noone is going to challenge you to a drag race at the lights. Having owned it for just over a month now I really like it's quite high ground clearance and all the little trim details you tend to miss when viewing it at a glance - I'm bonding with her already folks! For me though it was the "sensible" engineering which was the deciding factor - cam belt, not chain. external clutch slave cylinder, manual hand brake, I've listed all this and more somewhere else, but I'm sure you get the idea. I also like that so many bits are shared across the VAG family of vehicles which means that dealer spares are generally available and aftermarket parts are available at most trade factors on the shelf.

It's a pretty anonymous "non aggressive" vehicle and noone is going to challenge you to a drag race at the lights.
This was a large deciding factor in going for a golf, no one cares about a golf, they're everywhere and they just get on with it.
no one bats an eyelid.

For me though it was the "sensible" engineering which was the deciding factor - cam belt, not chain. external clutch slave cylinder, manual hand brake, I've listed all this and more somewhere else, but I'm sure you get the idea. I also like that so many bits are shared across the VAG family of vehicles which means that dealer spares are generally available and aftermarket parts are available at most trade factors on the shelf.
I think It is fare to say if you Jock have done all your research and this is the car that you have decided is best for you, then its a pretty safe bet that there isnt a better car out there for your needs.

People get very tribal over cars, It really annoys me. You can argue that fiat is now bottom of the car food chain yet he we all are on this forum still enjoying these little cars. Really a car is a tool to do a job and saying and I don't believe any car or brand is demonstrably better than any other when it is the use case that matters and not the badge on the bonnet.

I think It is fare to say if you Jock have done all your research and this is the car that you have decided is best for you, then its a pretty safe bet that there isnt a better car out there for your needs.
Very fair comment. It's the best i could find - in my opinion - at this time.
People get very tribal over cars, It really annoys me. You can argue that fiat is now bottom of the car food chain yet he we all are on this forum still enjoying these little cars. Really a car is a tool to do a job and saying and I don't believe any car or brand is demonstrably better than any other when it is the use case that matters and not the badge on the bonnet.
I broadly agree. The badge on the bonnet is of very little interest to me except in a perverted reverse snobbery way, by which i mean I avoid car brands with "image" so, the likes of Audi, Cupra, Jaguar, Range Rover, high performance versions of almost anything, etc. Couldn't care less if it's got a Dacia, Skoda, maybe even Lada badge as long as it's well engineered (so maybe not even a modern Lada? After all I kept on running BL products for years even owning an Allegro and Ambassador!

Very fair comment. It's the best i could find - in my opinion - at this time.

I broadly agree. The badge on the bonnet is of very little interest to me except in a perverted reverse snobbery way, by which i mean I avoid car brands with "image" so, the likes of Audi, Cupra, Jaguar, Range Rover, high performance versions of almost anything, etc. Couldn't care less if it's got a Dacia, Skoda, maybe even Lada badge as long as it's well engineered (so maybe not even a modern Lada? After all I kept on running BL products for years even owning an Allegro and Ambassador!
We had an Allegro. I called him Grot. He was mega spacious, comfy and very reliable. Only real fault was mega rust.

Our Skoda Estelle was called Scud. Slow but spacious and reliable. It was basic but the engineering was solid. We arrived at B, having left A before just as we would have done in a Bentley. As ever wehad full maintenance done on time and always ran on the best available tyres. I love looking at the rubbish tyres on old large BM,s and such like. We never had to worry about the car getting stolen either. Scud provided 3 years cost free motoring. The fun we had spotting other Scuds and Grots on long trips was worth all the BMW driver sneers too.

Back