What's made you grumpy today?

Currently reading:
What's made you grumpy today?

The phone extensions should work if wired back to the phone socket on the router. The new router will have what would have been a wall socket on the back for the phone. You just need to link that to your house phone wiring, and undo the old BT line.

The phone extensions should work if wired back to the phone socket on the router. The new router will have what would have been a wall socket on the back for the phone. You just need to link that to your house phone wiring, and undo the old BT line.
Thanks. Hopefully the chap from sky will sort it all out on the day so we're not laying any cash out on anything until he's been. I'm wondering if I can hard wire the broadband feeds to the other devices because if that's the case it's going to be a simple matter of just swopping over the connector wire from the Freeview receiver and the one that goes to the splitter for the other devices. I'm having a look online right now to see if I can dig up an image of the router connections.

Thanks Andy. Yes it's a complete fibre optic installation right up into the house. In fact open reach will be physically installing the cable and they were round at our door doing the survey just the other day. Then the Sky man comes and connects up the router and makes sure all the other stuff networked to it, NAS, Blue ray, AV amp, Freeview box, is working. Last time the router was updated the Freeview box had a wee hissy fit and insisted on a dedicated connection of it's own. The new router only had two ports so one goes to the Freeview reciever and the other goes to a splitter box which has leads from the other 3 devices. I like these devices connected via a physical wire rather than wirelessly. Anyone know if the new fibre sky router has several ports?

One inconvenience is that the bedroom phone, which is a wired extension, won't work any more. However our living room phone, although it's the type you can wander around with, is quite old now and looks really grotty so I think we'll buy a new one with base station and remote extension which can be positioned in the bedroom. Or maybe we should just do away with a landline altogether and both make the move to smart mobiles? I'm guessing that when we're at home and can link them to the new router then we could make calls at no extra cost? Or maybe not? I still don't really understand how all this works.

We've been talking about what mobile to buy as this thread has been progressing and Mrs J says she thinks we should buy an iphone of some sort as she has her ipad and finds she can't get on with my windows laptop at all. My old laptop, which I'm actually doing this on right now, has a faulty connection to the screen which sometimes corrupts the display. A googly whack has so far sorted it but I know it's just a matter of time 'till it fails permanently. I also still have my old Vista Toshiba - which hasn't been fired up for maybe 4 years but was working fine. So I'm wondering if I should use that as my auto diagnostic tool - so many of the diagnostic stuff that interests me runs on Windows - and finally succumb to buying an Apple laptop for everything else? The extra expense and the fact I know absolutely nothing about working an Apple worries me quite a lot though.
Pretty well all pf this stuff is c;ick on the [programme icon and do what it says on screen. They keep updating stuff and changing how it looks and where you go to do stuff, so dont be put off Apple on that basis.

I use both iPads and iPhones but I still have all my desktop and laptops as windows machines.

My wife loves her Apple stuff and had a desk top imac as well as an Apple laptop but even she had to give in and buy a cheap windows laptop to do work stuff on as she has to do a lot of presentations and teaching and the hospital only uses windows stuff.

really it won’t matter to have an Apple PC or laptop, in the old days I’d plug my phone into the PC to update it and upload music but I can’t remember when I last had to do that, many many years ago now.

If you do use an old laptop for car diagnostics stuff I’d recommend not having it on the internet anyway, the older windows operating systems like XP and vista are quite vulnerable to hacking and bad software, in the case of XP only connecting to the internet can be enough to get you hacked so I would stick to newer computers for anything important

For what its worth. My phone has 32gb of memory built in. Its a small amount and its a cheapish phone Samsung A20e. The phone works fine for my use and has a pile of music on for in the car. I would go for at least 64gb if buying again now, I would also get a memory card as well. ine is 16gb and I would double this as well. I have around 1500 HD photos stored on the phone and a pile of video clips as an example of what this allows. I have two sim cards so two possible networks, and two numbers also good if a network is down. I have 1 PAYG sim with 'never runs out' credit for emergencies and a £6 monthly contract. We dont use the land line at all and will get rid of it if they push VOIP on us as that would be pointless duplication and bring nothing to the party. We have regular power cuts at least once a month so a VIOP phone would be entirely without value. I can get 60gb of internet for £10 a nmonth which is way more than 3 of us use at home. I anticipate we will just get rid of the land line and broadband line to the house one day.

I know you're right but we've just been putting off the inevitable. Trouble is it seems so expensive?

The down side is, He tells me, the land line won't work if the internet goes down so if, at some time in the future, we get emergency personal alarms (red button round your neck on a string when your so old you can't wipe your own bottom - maybe not that far away?) We have to have some sort of modification. Anyway, our internet almost never drops out so I think we're Ok for now. However, with this in mind, a modern smart phone would still work when/if the new fibre internet went down?
I was in Currys a few days ago. Theyhad smartphones from around £90 for Motorola, which is good, and no need to go with a cheap chinese spy phone.
You can buy your own phone, new or used, and just have a pay-as-you-go or contract SIM. I'm currently paying £8.50/month.
If getting a used phone, make sure it is 4G, not 3G. The networks are in the process of switching off 3G.

We have a personal alarm for my partner. Recently they came and changed the whole system. It now does not connect to the phone line, but has its own SIM in it, which means we have been able to site it closer to her, rather than in the far corner where the phone line enters.

Whilst we have walk-around phones, we still have one wired one. That will still work in a power cut. Sad that feature is soon to be lost. Until someone dies because they were unable to call for help, then the stupidity will be realised.

I have issues with charities in general, especially when you see what those at the top of the charity are getting paid.
But, watching bake off at the weekend with stand up 2 cancer, I kind of thought, if the public are putting the money forward for all this, then you'd think all the findings and results would be public too. Searching their site and theough the web, it's very difficult to find where the money is being spent. It was started around 2018/2019, and the results are still pending on what they've found. It appears nothing has been released or published from them.

It might be a bit naive to think the public should know all. It's different if GSK invest millions into a drug then what to make some money off it, but if it's all public charity money, then you'd think that woud be different.

I have issues with charities in general, especially when you see what those at the top of the charity are getting paid.
But, watching bake off at the weekend with stand up 2 cancer, I kind of thought, if the public are putting the money forward for all this, then you'd think all the findings and results would be public too. Searching their site and theough the web, it's very difficult to find where the money is being spent. It was started around 2018/2019, and the results are still pending on what they've found. It appears nothing has been released or published from them.

It might be a bit naive to think the public should know all. It's different if GSK invest millions into a drug then what to make some money off it, but if it's all public charity money, then you'd think that woud be different.
You have really hit the nail on the head here. Im happy to give, but Im not going to fund anything that will not make it crystal clear the percentage of income that actually gets spent where the giving is intended. Now you mention it you would think the figures would be included in the programme credits. Charities that have agood control on their overheads are usually very pleased to publish the facts.

I had the same issue with Help For Hero’s a few years back, a charity that appeared from nowhere, became massive seemingly over night and trampled all over the British Legion using the poppy on all their merchandise and opening shops in town centres, not “charity” shops but shops selling all new Help for Hero’s products, it was an apparel company masquerading as a charity and if you looked into the figures very little of the money raised made it to the hero’s, they were supposed to be helping, it did however make the founders extremely rich
Much of that has been buried in a myriad of other controversies over the years, as a charity they are deeply in the pocket of the MOD.

They are one of many charities which on the face of things pretend to be a charity but they are actually massive businesses which then funnel money out to other charities to let deal with the spending I think stand up to cancer has a similar structure

Last edited:
Im grumpy today because I have NOTHING TO BE GRUMPY ABOUT.
I ask you!
That's because you have already sorted your car insurance;), so far today I have been online for over 2.5 hrs trying to sort quotes, on one vehicle gocompare had the first two quotes from the same company but the lowest quote froze when it got to payment but strangely didn't at the second more expensive quote???
Other quotes varied widely and were semi competitive for one vehicle and totally stupid for the next so no chance of a serious multicar policy.
What really annoys me is, after retiring and closing Motor Trade Insurance which allowed me to drive and own multiple vehicles some of the quotes for a single vehicle are higher than I was paying for the Trade policy and I haven't made a claim in over 20 years.:mad:

Last edited:
What really annoys me is, after retiring and closing Motor Trade Insurance which allowed me to drive and own multiple vehicles some of the quotes for a single vehicle are higher than I was paying for the Trade policy and I haven't made a claim in over 20 years.:mad:
In the early days of the motor car, your chauffeur was taught to drive by the local blacksmith/car supplier. In 1910, BSM was founded, as an independent organisation, to teach people to drive. From that moment, drving instruction ceased to be a 'motor trade' activity. However, most insurance companies still categorise it as such.
As a driving instructor, my insurance for the school car, is £400/yr, fully comp, any driver over 25 for any purpose, or any driver from age 16 under tuition, and any age if being instructed on private land, such as in a school car park. It also covers me to drive any other vehicle.
But. For my other vehicles, I'm categorised as motor trade, so those policies exclude cover for commuting, and getting driving other vehicles is difficult. Insurance companies cannot see past the risk of using the private policy for tuition purposes, despite it being alongside a specific tuition policy.
When i started as an instructor, I had just the school vehicle, used for personal purposes. 6 years later, when I got the Panda, the first quotes were far more expensive than if I'd insured it as a school vehicle. Nonsense. Have to fight every year at renewal time.

But driving instructors make so much money that they can afford it.
That is so far from the truth.
Like any self-employed person, there are a limited number of hours in any day, so that limits the number of hours workable. That caps the available income.
Throughout my time as an instructor, I've had so many sales calls from organisations pronising to help increase/expand my business. Only way to do that is to work more hours, or charge more per hour. The latter just reduces income, if uncompetitive.
When I started, 2004, I was teaching 4 2-hour sessions per day, 5 days a week. At £19/hr. £760/wk, £38k/yr (2 weeks off) Sounds wonderful, until you look at the franchise fee of £15k, and a fuel bill of around £5-6k.
But that many hours with learners can blow your mind. Few can do that continually.
I soon reduced my hours to 3 sessions a day, often only two, but of course the fuel reduces too.
Now I only do 2 days/week, and no learners. The fleet work pays flat rates per job, which equates to a lower hourly rate, but reduced fuel costs, as we use their car/van. But, can travel up to 50 miles, occasionally more. Whilst fuel is paid, wear & tear are not. But now with my own car, costs are much less.
There's a lot of juggling.

Around here the driving lessons were £40 - £50 an hour a few years ago when our youngest was still learning.

Around here the driving lessons were £40 - £50 an hour a few years ago when our youngest was still learning.
Was this just 'post-covid'?
Prior to 2020, prices had not risen with inflation. When the pandemic hit, driving instructors were initially prevented from working, unless teaching 'key workers'. Being self-employed, and with no income, many left the profession, and have not returned. With a year's demand unmet, plus of course the following year's upcoming 17 yr olds, demand was high, availability low. At least prices could be increased to a more appropriate level. Now closer to the hourly rates other professionals charge.
Having been trying to concentrate on fleet work, and losing my one last learner due to the pandemic, I found it a great opportunity to not take on any new learners. So adding to the dearth of instructors.

When I started, in 2004, the hourly rate (Swindon) was £19/hr. Filling the 45l fuel tank from 1/4 full, cost around £21. Prior to 2020, the same fuel quantity was costing around £50, yet lesson prices were around £25-30/hr.

Was this just 'post-covid'?
Prior to 2020, prices had not risen with inflation. When the pandemic hit, driving instructors were initially prevented from working, unless teaching 'key workers'. Being self-employed, and with no income, many left the profession, and have not returned. With a year's demand unmet, plus of course the following year's upcoming 17 yr olds, demand was high, availability low. At least prices could be increased to a more appropriate level. Now closer to the hourly rates other professionals charge.
Having been trying to concentrate on fleet work, and losing my one last learner due to the pandemic, I found it a great opportunity to not take on any new learners. So adding to the dearth of instructors.

When I started, in 2004, the hourly rate (Swindon) was £19/hr. Filling the 45l fuel tank from 1/4 full, cost around £21. Prior to 2020, the same fuel quantity was costing around £50, yet lesson prices were around £25-30/hr.
I looked at joining the ranks a few years back and it was clear it was going to be not only hard work but a doubtful earner for one with no experience of the business, so I decided not to get involved. Any one 'man' band self employed jobs are hard, and as you say, if you dont do the hours it will leave you short of money so high risk.

Back