Technical Weird Steering

Currently reading:
Technical Weird Steering

Makes reverse parking and three point turns or whatever you like to call them these days a breeze

Just have to remember to press it whenever you need a lot of lock at very low speeds or while stationary
I can turn the wheel with my little finger on with the City mode off. City mode does make it possible to change from full lock one way to full lock the other with a small flick of the wrist, but I believe in respecting the tyres and turn the steering only when the car is moving unless its totally impossible. Personally I think its a gimmick and not even a very good one. My other pet hate of the 169 system is how easy it is to activate City mode by accident when adjusting the radio At speed the change is not far short of dangerous in my opinion. But if,f you suffer from an injury and find steering a painful thing - occasionally I get severe tendonitis, then it comes into its own. However, Im glad someone is prepared to stand up for it. Long live the differences.

I can turn the wheel with my little finger on with the City mode off. City mode does make it possible to change from full lock one way to full lock the other with a small flick of the wrist, but I believe in respecting the tyres and turn the steering only when the car is moving unless its totally impossible. Personally I think its a gimmick and not even a very good one. My other pet hate of the 169 system is how easy it is to activate City mode by accident when adjusting the radio At speed the change is not far short of dangerous in my opinion. But if,f you suffer from an injury and find steering a painful thing - occasionally I get severe tendonitis, then it comes into its own. However, Im glad someone is prepared to stand up for it. Long live the differences.
I may be wrong but I was under the impression that the city mode automatically cancelled over a certain speed. I'm sure I've read something in the hand book about it.

I may be wrong but I was under the impression that the city mode automatically cancelled over a certain speed. I'm sure I've read something in the hand book about it.
I read that also so tried it at around 55 mph still comes on, hardly noticeable as the assistance is proportional to speed but it's definitely still doing a bit but the steering is still lighter

Doesn't look like it's sitting flush

One side higher than the other

Or is it just the photo

View attachment 443078
One nut is done up and the other loose which may explain. Wrong type of nut in this pic. Better replaced in pairs and with the correct nuts. There are top strut bearings and top strut bearings. Quite significant differences in the thickness of the rubber coatings from one type to another and I suspect this can affect how they seat and ride height. Any poor quality control in manufacture will mean slight differences that may equalise after some use. Getting the torque right on the the strut mounting nut is not easy. I think getting better quality top mounts rather than the cheapest may be beneficial but the cost difference can be a big issue. I know because I fitted cheap parts 5 years back to Daffo and I think they need doing again I shall move up the market this time.
You are correct. I think it not that it cancels but that it only works at low speeds.

People liked the steering and ride on the stock Panda.

In the original 2005 reviews

I had three, all have been fine, no need to correct the steering over bumps, they all track, true

That includes one with a visibly bent rear axle,

The original arms and bushes last well, in fact if you treat them well most of the parts do

but things do wear out and get damaged, I am surprised on the petrol we don't see more struts changed they are almost sacrificial in a bump, also surprised we don't see more racks changed, after a sideways bump into a curb, they tend to stick slightly at higher speeds

People liked the steering and ride on the stock Panda.

In the original 2005 reviews

I had three, all have been fine, no need to correct the steering over bumps, they all track, true

That includes one with a visibly bent rear axle,

The original arms and bushes last well, in fact if you treat them well most of the parts do

but things do wear out and get damaged, I am surprised on the petrol we don't see more struts changed they are almost sacrificial in a bump, also surprised we don't see more racks changed, after a sideways bump into a curb, they tend to stick slightly at higher speeds
I have been looking for a rack for Daffo but it seems these ae no longer produced and so far I cant find any aftermarket ones either.

Try

I not checked if later years are the same

Third party such as Fast FT19074 are under £80
Well I'll be! I tried and couldnt find any. This appears to be the ticket and at this price its a no brainer. We have a slight knock that probably just the n/s inner tack rod bush in the rack but we now also have some significant clonking from somewhere else I can't identify so I think its probably best to pull the whole lot out and change the lot so I will know exactly whats what. The springs are rusty and 1 may possibly have lost a fraction of the end. While its in bits I will fit a rack and a whole new front suspension, apart from struts as these are still fine. Daffo is movIng towards 90K so its not unfair to need an overhaul. A little fine weather and I shall get stuck in, between finishing the firs daughters house in Manchester.... (repoint the front face of the house, repair concrete window sill and rebuild the porch) and complete renovation of the second daughters bungalow once we hav it finalised, retreating the axles on all 3 pandas and tryiong to keep the house and garden together. Bloody chimney needs sweeping now Wont someone tell the kin world im too kinold for this!

Would be good to know how it goes.

I think I've only changed one rack on a Panda, and i vaguely remember that the only reason for changing it was that someone had damaged it when trying to remove it. I do remember it being harder work than I expected when I started.
Every other time when it wasn't top mounts or front dampers, it has been inner tie rods (which are readily available and easy to fit).

I do need to change a front subframe at some point this year (rust damage on an otherwise un-rusty diesel Panda) but that's an easier job altogether (unless the subframe bolts snap, of course) and I'll probably use a secondhand one with rack already in it anyway as I've saved a few from ones on their way to the great Panda graveyard in the sky. (New gaiters and inner tie rods, of course)

Attachments

• 17130965532433462743326281822106.jpg
    17130965532433462743326281822106.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
The only fault I know with the rack is stiff after a bump

They feel fine at low speed say parking in a car park when there is maximum assistance

But if you are changing from one lane to another on the motorway there's a bit of reluctance to start to turn, then once you are in the lane it's again a fight to straighten it up

Someone did a good video on different car, see if I can find it again, would help if I could remember the model of car

Well I'll be! I tried and couldnt find any. This appears to be the ticket and at this price its a no brainer. We have a slight knock that probably just the n/s inner tack rod bush in the rack but we now also have some significant clonking from somewhere else I can't identify so I think its probably best to pull the whole lot out and change the lot so I will know exactly whats what. The springs are rusty and 1 may possibly have lost a fraction of the end. While its in bits I will fit a rack and a whole new front suspension, apart from struts as these are still fine. Daffo is movIng towards 90K so its not unfair to need an overhaul. A little fine weather and I shall get stuck in, between finishing the firs daughters house in Manchester.... (repoint the front face of the house, repair concrete window sill and rebuild the porch) and complete renovation of the second daughters bungalow once we hav it finalised, retreating the axles on all 3 pandas and tryiong to keep the house and garden together. Bloody chimney needs sweeping now Wont someone tell the kin world im too kinold for this!
Don't worry to much TPN it's keeping you active. (y) :)

Don't worry to much TPN it's keeping you active. (y) :)
More like killing me. Im mid way repainting the o/s sill. Large areas no paint left. Its in primer so a little rubdown and top coat tomorrow. I also have new rubber bungs for the joles where they have disappeared.. Galvanised panels dont like paint!

Back