Technical Water leaking into boot

Currently reading:
Technical Water leaking into boot

Thank you @Pugglt Auld Jock :)

Five years of dry ownership, until it all got a bit biblical this winter, and rain found its way into the spare wheel well.

Pulled off the rubber hatch seal, cleaned off the crusty old dry white gunk, ran a bead of clear silicone around the lip and pushed the rubber seal back in place. Dry since (y)

Exciting new leak!
Boot stayed dry for a few months after applying silicone seal to the hatch opening seal...
...then found its way in again - on the left side of the car for a change.
I removed the rear lights and added a bead of seal anywhere where old sealant looked... well, old.
But that didn't fix it either.
Finally traced to the seal in the roof channel, by removing the plastic strip, bunging up the rear of the channel and pouring water in.
Water was getting in here:
01.jpg

And finding its way out here:
02.jpg

More silicone in the channel, and dry again... for now🤞

Exciting new leak!
Boot stayed dry for a few months after applying silicone seal to the hatch opening seal...
I removed the rear lights and added a bead of seal anywhere where old sealant looked... well, old.
Finally traced to the seal in the roof channel, by removing the plastic strip, bunging up the rear of the channel and pouring water in.
View attachment 443449
View attachment 443450
The Mk1 Honda Jazz leaks in exactly the same place!

Just felt a wee update on Becky's incontinence problem (wet boot floor) might be of interest?

Sanity has returned to our house with the departure of my daughter, her husband and children after their long weekend with us so they could take in Edinburgh festival events before it all finished. Our other grandchildren and their mums and dads were in and out like yo-yos too. All this activity has required transport and Becky is absolutely ideal for nipping in and out of the insanity that is Edinburgh traffic at festival time consequently she has racked up a few miles. There was just time last night, after returning our youngest grandchild home, for a quick check over before dinner.

It's not been long since I did a major service and renewed the timing belt (Inc water pump) so it was pleasing to find that everything, coolant level, oil level, tyre pressures, etc, etc were all absolutely spot on. Less pleasing to find a wee puddle in the boot though.

Got up this morning to a beautiful sunny day. Mrs Jock decided to do a big wash (yes I did help strip the beds!) So decided to do a bit of detective work on Becky's leak. Started off having a look round the joint between the hatch and rubber seal. It's definitely touching all the way round but compressing it more at the top than the bottom. Next I removed the rear door (hatch) seal and blew all round the sealing "slot" with my air hose. My compressor runs 130psi so this cleared out all the moisture and most of the fragments of putty - yes it was glazier's putty - from "whoever's" previous effort. I then played the old hair dryer I have along it to be sure and dried the flange edge on the car. Reinstalled the seal. Rigged up the garden hose by cable tying it to the aerial. Gently turned the hose on. Climbed into the back of the car with my led work light and nothing seemed to happen except that no leak appeared! However after about 5 minutes, just as I was about to call it a day, one wee drop of water appeared at the lock, ran down the inside of the panel and dripped on the boot floor. Considering there has never been more than about an eggcup full of water when I've previously checked, perhaps this is it! The long suffering Mrs Jock was having a quiet cuppa whilst she waited for the washing machine to finish so I got her to come out and play the water all over the back of the car whilst I kept watch inside. I paid particular attention to the rear light fittings (thanks Koalar) but all seemed dry. Oops! There's another drip at the lock! Looked very closely at this. The water is not appearing between the seal and hatch but is coming out between the seal and body.

So, pulled of the seal up to about the level of the back window, both sides, and again, as I originally reported in earlier post, there's wetness, inside the "U" section, from that seam joint on the OS down to the lock. Nothing on the NS or higher up. The water's got to be getting past the inside of the seal, at that seam and running along. The "U" of the seal is completely dry higher up so, with the bottom two thirds of the seal pulled off already, I repeated the cleaning and drying up to the level of the back window and injected bathroom silicon (left over from recent reseal on the bath) into the "U" section of the seal and pushed it very firmly back onto its flange. Surprisingly I seem to have used just the right amount of sealant as it "squished" out just a little but not too much and with Becky being white it blends beautifully!

As I was inspecting my handiwork I noticed the air flap valve which is on the rear panel of the boot, just above floor level. I ran my finger around it and it came away wet! I think this is almost certain to be water that has run down from the seal above it but, as this fitting proved easy to remove (four little plastic clips) I did so, cleaned it all up and sparingly applied a little of the sealant to the foam seal around it's perimeter before refitting it.

Finally, just as I was about to walk away, I remembered that I had noticed the seal was not being compressed quite so much at the bottom than at the roofline. Winkled out my trusty 10mm socket and "T" handle, slackened off the hatch striking plate and adjusted it inwards slightly until the hatch, when closed, is compressing the seal evenly all the way round. Gently fully tightened the two striking plate nuts. The immediate and unexpected result of this is that the hatch, which previously closed with a bit of a rattle, now closes with a quality whump and no rattle!

So now I suppose it's a case of standing by, with fingers crossed, and waiting for the next rain storm (sure I won't have to wait long). Feeling quite confident though that I've probably "got it". Oh please let it be! I really don't want to have to clear off a whole lot of solidified silicon sealant! Hopefully I'll be able to report a happy outcome, within the next week or so, to close this thread.
I’ve removed the rubber seal and there are gaps in the putty along the flange where water is getting in. I temporarily put some gaffer tape over the bottom part of the flange and that’s stopped the water leaking into the boot. But the putty is still soft as if it had never cured. I’m not sure if the silicon sealant would work over it or if I should use putty? I’d rather use the silicone if I was sure it would work.
Also water collects inside the tube part of the rubber seal. Should I pierced a hole so the water drains out?
IMG_3599.jpeg
IMG_3596.jpeg
IMG_3595.jpeg

I cleared the putty I found in Backy's seal cleaned it all up and applied a quality bathroom silicon before pushing the seal back onto the flange. That was around 2018/19 and it's not leaked again. When I posted on here back then, there were comments that some people didn't think the silicon would last in an outside setting, and that i should be using a dedicated automotive seam sealer - I had the silicon left over from doing my boy's shower tray though so, hey ho! - so far though I've no leaks. I would recommend a good brand of sealant though. In the past I've used cheap "own brand" sealants in my house and they don't seem to last as long as big name brands products. Also big name products seem to resist the dreaded black mold appearing for much longer.

Exciting new leak!
View attachment 443449
View attachment 443450
Had exactly the same issue on the left hand side. I used araldite instead of silicone a few months ago and it's been fine ever since.

I cleared the putty I found in Backy's seal cleaned it all up and applied a quality bathroom silicon before pushing the seal back onto the flange. That was around 2018/19 and it's not leaked again. When I posted on here back then, there were comments that some people didn't think the silicon would last in an outside setting, and that i should be using a dedicated automotive seam sealer - I had the silicon left over from doing my boy's shower tray though so, hey ho! - so far though I've no leaks. I would recommend a good brand of sealant though. In the past I've used cheap "own brand" sealants in my house and they don't seem to last as long as big name brands products. Also big name products seem to resist the dreaded black mold appearing for much longer.
Thanks. Is it ok if a tiny amount of putty is left there as the flange is very tight in places and I don’t think I’d be able to get all the putty out from such a narrow gap? I can get it out from the wider gaps. I’m not sure what sort of putty it is as it’s still soft and never went hard like glaziers putty does?

Thanks. Is it ok if a tiny amount of putty is left there as the flange is very tight in places and I don’t think I’d be able to get all the putty out from such a narrow gap? I can get it out from the wider gaps. I’m not sure what sort of putty it is as it’s still soft and never went hard like glaziers putty does?
Yes, the putty in mine was still malleable, although I wouldn't have called it "soft". I doubt if I got every last bit of it out and the silicon sealant is kind of "toothpaste soft" before it sets so I'm sure will just flow round it.

Back