Technical (Video) engine chops/rattles (2,3 multijet, 2011)

Currently reading:
Technical (Video) engine chops/rattles (2,3 multijet, 2011)

Problem: engine chops/rattles loudly, makes the whole car shake a bit.

When it occurs: (1) When I turn on the engine,0.5 sec duration, (2) When I put in first gear, when I release the clutch, 0.5 seconds, (3) when I am in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear and let go of the gas pedal and just roll with gear still in, continuously, (4) when reversing, immediately when I start to release the clutch, and when rolling in gear, continuously (have not try to accelerate in reverse with gas pedal).

Works fine in neutral, with the clutch down and when acceleratin.

When it happened: drove on a tough road that had a 20m section with really thick gravel (rocks with about 5 cm diameter), the gravel was kind of looose, went down in previous tracks and went so deep that the geavel started scraping of the bottom of the car. Drove through and afterwards the problem occured.

Looked underneath quickly, did not see any major damages. There was a rock though oddly placed above some part (near to the axle) that I took away. Is it possible that rocks can fly/be pushed into places where they shouldn't be and cause the problem? (The car went a bit bulldozer on that gravel) If so, where should I start to look?

Video when reversing:
https://youtu.be/KtDX68NXrp8

Last edited:
Hi

The noises sound mechanical. I think maybe you have got small stones inside the clutch and flywheel housing. I don't know if there are any gaps or holes that would allow this to happen.

Less likely, small stones caught in disc brakes (often behind the dust shield) can make a lot of noise, especially when reversing. Take a good look with the wheel removed, or use a small mirror to inspect.

Sounds like gearbox or engine mount is shot to me causing metal to metal contact. I would start with gearbox mount and lever it to see if it's doing its job

Back