General SPI Adjustments And Tuning

Currently reading:
General SPI Adjustments And Tuning

Leon1.1

I have a late '93 Uno 1.1iES. Currently it needs a new Vacuum Advance Unit(currently on order) as my old one had burst the diaphragm.
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience in tuning this particular engine...(1108 FIRE) specifically adjustments to do with the Fuel Injection Unit. I'm really more interested in economy than more power though a little extra wouldn't go amiss.

Many thanks in advance,
Leon.

Hei Leon.

I've got the same car, engine, year etc.

You can't tune the SPi. Simple as that. The diaphragm might help on fuel economy, but it did no difference on mine when I changed it. If I'm cautious the car consumes 0,5 litre per 10 km. But when I do town driving, hard driving, cold driving etc. it uses up to 1 litre per 10 km. I usually fill 0,75 litre per 10 km.

Clean the carb (SPi module). Remove the filter box and put on a K&N filter. The engine breathes easier and gives a little extra torque on high speeds.

Morten.

Morty Mort said:
Hei Leon.

I've got the same car, engine, year etc.

You can't tune the SPi. Simple as that. The diaphragm might help on fuel economy, but it did no difference on mine when I changed it. If I'm cautious the car consumes 0,5 litre per 10 km. But when I do town driving, hard driving, cold driving etc. it uses up to 1 litre per 10 km. I usually fill 0,75 litre per 10 km.

Clean the carb (SPi module). Remove the filter box and put on a K&N filter. The engine breathes easier and gives a little extra torque on high speeds.

Morten.
Yes you can, it´s called chip!!!!;) As far as economy goes,it won´t get any better.I´ve heard they got some nice 3-wheel 2-stroke vehicles in the UK, those should be efficient!!!:p (couldn´t resist)

This is the car i mean https://www.fiatforum.com/showthread.php?t=10029 just for fun:p

Last edited:
I have a late '93 Uno 1.1iES. Currently it needs a new Vacuum Advance Unit(currently on order) as my old one had burst the diaphragm.
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience in tuning this particular engine...(1108 FIRE) specifically adjustments to do with the Fuel Injection Unit. I'm really more interested in economy than more power though a little extra wouldn't go amiss.

Many thanks in advance,
Leon.
A far better thing to do is start with a better engine. The 1300 unit is a good base. Previously fiat racing challenge race series used amr ported cylinder head and uprated cam and rejetted carb. Gave 97 bhp. The power really comes from the head and cam. Fundamentally it depends how much you can machine out the head and the increase in flow through the ports. You can also consider final drive ratios as well. As a general rule it is difficult to get more than a 50 Percent increase over standard without spending a fortune and having an unreliable engine. You may also like to consider springs and dampers, disks and pads. An uprated cam with about 270 degrees should be sufficient for fast road. Go further and into race cam territory and it will not be comfortable on the road.

You will need a k and n filter, re-jet the carb, an exhaust etc and set it all up properly on a rolling road.

You will need to inform your insurers about the mods and I would suggest that you thoroughly research the costs. I don't really think it's worth it unless you are intending to do a project or build a race car.

Unfortunately you can't really do it properly without a full kit of parts. These things work in packages. A lot of these people who do these projects are in the trade. A cheeper way of going about it is by buying an old race car or modified car smashed and strip off the bits you need.

Good luck

Back