Technical Some toerag smashed my locks!

Currently reading:
Technical Some toerag smashed my locks!

WilliamSR

I bought a brand new Panda 1.1 Active Eco in 2010 and have owned it ever since. In recent years it has served as a cheap and reliable first car for my sons. However, a few weeks ago my younger son left it in a not great area near his Uni for a few nights and some idiot had a go at stealing it.

It looks like a large screwdriver has been hammered into the door lock and there is some damage to the door too. But the bigger problem is that the ignition barrel has been snapped. We managed to get it home by holding the key inside the transponder ring whilst turning it over with a screwdriver. Being old school, I thought that buying a complete set of second hand locks with keys and steering shroud would do the trick. better still, as the car could do with some other bits and bobs I looked around and picked up a cheap car for parts. The donor car is a 2005 1.2 litre, which I now realise is not compatible for a full swap over after scanning this forum!

So after reading about changing BCIs, ECUs, clocks etc and coding keys with various software, I am trying to figure out what is the best way to get my old Panda back on the road for my son because driving him around everywhere has got really painful, especially as he starts work at 4:45 when not in Uni!

If I swapped the ignition barrel and door lock from the donor, do you think it would start ok if whilst turning the donor key the 'original' key is also held near the transponder ring? If yes, would this pass an MOT? Or would the donor key mess this reading up and if so what is the best way to proceed? I'd be grateful for any advice.

Attachments

• IMG_0547.jpg
    IMG_0547.jpg
    883.2 KB · Views: 31
If you have a remote key with buttons it shouldn't be to much of a problem

The mechanical part of the swap over

And the mechanical parts of the lock swap over

You don't have to touch the electronics

If the you have a remote and the donar is a mechanical you could just get a new blade cut

If you have a remote key with buttons it shouldn't be to much of a problem

The mechanical part of the swap over

And the mechanical parts of the lock swap over

You don't have to touch the electronics

If the you have a remote and the donar is a mechanical you could just get a new blade cut
Hi and thanks for the reply. The donor has come with one fob key and one 'fobless' key. My Active Eco has only ever had two fobless keys.

I would

Swap the locks

Cut and swap the transponders over

Do the donar key first as you are not bothered about its transponder

Or more expensive, you can get a new bank key cut and have the blank transponder programmed (cloned) from your original key

Will cost at Timpsons £75

No doubt if you shop around it could be found cheaper

I would

Swap the locks

Cut and swap the transponders over

Do the donar key first as you are not bothered about its transponder

Or more expensive, you can get a new bank key cut and have the blank transponder programmed (cloned) from your original key

Will cost at Timpsons £75

No doubt if you shop around it could be found cheaper

Thank you very much. Any idea how I would stick the key back together again?

JB weld slow cure works on most plastics but you will never be able to cut it open again, leave it for a day

My glasses are glued with super glue mixed with bicarbonate of soda

Super glue does not work on nylon, but I don't think the key is nylon, but never tried

JB weld slow cure works on most plastics but you will never be able to cut it open again, leave it for a day

My glasses are glued with super glue mixed with bicarbonate of soda

Super glue does not work on nylon, but I don't think the key is nylon, but never tried
Thank you :)

In fact thinking about it it's even easier

Unscrew the donar remote key

Take out the PCB and battery

Drop in the transponder you cut out if one of you keys and put a blob of hot glue over the top

Only one key to cut open

You can do the same with Timpsons and the like just take your old key, and explain you want the transponder cloning to drop in to this empty key

It's pretty simple here the chip being read and copied

Back