Technical My Fiat panda 2007 is jumping gear

Currently reading:
Technical My Fiat panda 2007 is jumping gear

Modupe

please I need advice on what to do my Fiat panda is jumping gear. Once I start the car and put it in gear it starts from gear 2 and jump to 4 while omitting 1&3 and some times it will start from gear 1 when I start the car but jump along the way. It is a semi-automatic. Any advice and possible solution is highly welcome
Thank you

please I need advice on what to do my Fiat panda is jumping gear. Once I start the car and put it in gear it starts from gear 2 and jump to 4 while omitting 1&3 and some times it will start from gear 1 when I start the car but jump along the way. It is a semi-automatic and 2007 model Any advice and possible solution is highly welcome
Thank you

Hi,🙂

when was the gearbox system last serviced?

It's a complex system

If a complete oil change on the gearbox system using only the best quality officially recommended oil dont cure it then your in for a world of frustration and expense! read the duo-logic thread and ,make your own decisions but id sell it now while you still can!

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I'd suggest you sit somewhere calm and relaxing and read this thread.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but your car is almost certainly beyond economic repair. Your best course of action is to buy another car. If you can get any money for yours in its present condition, regard it as a bonus.

It's lasted 17 years, so it's done better than many.

But...if you can get someone (e.g. with Multiecuscan software - see the register of people offering services on this forum) to read the fault codes for you, that would be a start. If you're saying the car is starting in gear, that may be a position sensor issue (possibly requiring replacement of a reasonably-accessible sensor) so it may be an easier fix than some.

That said on a car of this age it might be prudent to get the gearbox "robot" (actuator) overhauled (e.g. by CD Motors Staffordshire - see web/facebook) if you want to keep it for a while. They charge GBP600 once it is in their hands (i.e. removed). Only you will know if that is a price worth paying given your affection for the car!

Nick

Are you getting transmission failure or error messages on your dashboard?
In any event, you will need the gearbox codes to be read.

They charge GBP600 once it is in their hands (i.e. removed).
So basically you can double that unless you have the skills and facilities to remove the gearbox yourself, even if you can find a local independent garage prepared to take it on, since they may have to store the dismantled car for some time waiting for the transmission to be returned.

I'd say it's hard to justify spending £1200+ on a 17 yr old Panda with no guarantee that it will actually work at the end, nor any guarantee that some other different fault isn't going to put it off the road in a few months time. Sometimes it's best to just let it go.

A DIY minded individual might try dismantling the transmission and replacing the seals themselves (you can buy seal kits for around £200 on ebay). It would certainly make an interesting project, but I wouldn't expect it to be either straightforward or easy. Having a second scrap transmission to salvage any needed parts from would also help.

Last edited:
Hydraulic fluid level ?

Any leaks

Start with the simple

Screenshot_20240505-225145 (1).png

Last edited:
Ultimately questions of value can only be answered by individual owners...there's no objective truth on that.
Every car has a market value.

It may be worth more than that, perhaps considerably more, to an individual owner.

I totally get that. For example, a 3yr old car that's been properly maintained and carefully driven is worth much more to the original owner than a random 3yr old car sitting on a dealer's forecourt.

But should anyone be unfortunate enough to have a car written off, the insurance company will pay the market value, not what the owner thinks it's worth to them.

You can spend £5000 repairing a car that has a market value of £1000, but if it's written off in an accident the next day that's not your fault, you'll still only get £1000.

Something perhaps to bear in mind before spending more than the market value of a car on repairs.

Back