Technical Fiat Panda Popping Out of 5th Gear

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat Panda Popping Out of 5th Gear

BigAdam

Morning,

I've been having problems with my gearbox. I had a noise since 20k miles, turns out it was the input bearing which I found out at 50k miles. Then the box started leaking. Fixed that. Then it leaked differently.

Now my car decided to start popping out of 5th gear.

Drove down to London (about 120miles) and it did it 3 times.

Before I throw a gearbox at it, any other ideas what it would be, or is it definitely something internal to the box?

Normally just the selector cable

I have only seen popping out on 1st
And reverse difficult to engage

But other have had problems with 5th

Pretty easy to test

Select 5th then reach behind the battery and try and move the leaver more

There's a good chance the teflon coating is disintegrating

I drop a video in here when I find it

By far the most common is this

Which can also normally be confirmed with a drop of motor oil down the cable and see if it improves

all versions
2125 1 261 L FGEAR ENGAGEMENT/SELECTION CABLES
Seizing, hardening - Service Solution
225006155_2.jpg

FAULT COMPLAINED OF​

Difficult or impossible to engage all the gears

TECHNICAL CAUSE​

Seizing of the gear engagement cable due to the deterioration of the (PTF) tube inside the outer casing that guides the steel cable.

OPERATIONS IN PRODUCTION​

Fitting of engage engagement/selection cables that conform guaranteed.

IPLEMENTATION OF MODIFICATION​

Version

Factory

Line

Chassis No.

Organization No.

all versions in question

Tichy

-

OPERATIONS IN NETWORK​

NETWORK BEHAVIOUR STANDARDS TOWARDS THE CUSTOMER​

• If this problem is reported and confirmed, reassure the Customer that it can be solved by replacing the gear engagement/selection cables.
  • After the operation show the Customer what has been done and carry out a test to make sure they are satisfied.

SERVICE SOLUTION​

Only for vehicles in the batch of chassis from 175913 to 554770, check that the problem reported is due to the gear engagement/selection cables and, if necessary, replace them following the Operating Cycle below.

OPERATION CYCLE​

Before replcing the gear engagement/selection cables, check that the hardening of the gear control cable in all gears is confirmed proceeding as described below:
A) release the cables on the gearbox side (see Service Manual Op 2125C30) and check that the fault is still present using the gear lever in the passenger compartment.
767_2.jpg

If after having carried out point A) the fault is no longer present, then the cause of the problem should be sought in the gearbox unit and internal controls.
B) release the cables on the passenger compartment side (see Service Manual Op 2125C30) and check that the lever in the passenger compartment moves freely for both engagement and selection.
767_2.jpg

If the fault is still present after having carried out point B), carry out a thorough fault diagnosis for the passenger compartment inner control mounting replacing it if a problem is found.
C) Replace the gear engagement/selection cables (1 - Fig. 1) with new ones from the Parts Dept. completing the operations already partly carried out in points A and B (refer to the Service Manual - Op 2125C30).
Fig. 1
169004283_2.jpg

AVALABILITY OF PARTS​

Version

Description

Part No.

Qty.

all petrol versions in question

Gear selection/engagement cables

all diesel versions in question

Gear selection/engagement cables

CLAIM REPORT DATA​

Version

Operation

Piece

Fault

Position

Time allowance

all versions in question

LF

-

Attachments

• 1713717027809.gif
    1713717027809.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 4
  • 1713717027839.gif
    1713717027839.gif
  • 1713717027869.gif
    1713717027869.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 3
  • 1713717027914.gif
    1713717027914.gif
  • 1713717027952.gif
    1713717027952.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 3
Maybe a 2mm of play on one cable, it shifts very sweetly you can do it with one finger.

But it will throw itself out of gear, when it happened first time (on a 300mile round trip, happened 4 or 5 times) I started holding it into 5th gear, but it would throw my out.

Now, I HAVE split the box in the last few months after changing the input bearing (its been noisy for 30k miles). So my theory is my input shaft bearing was dying for ages and has taken something with it.

Don't forget 5th is at the opposite end of the shaft to the input bearing

If you select 5th and move the part as in the video, there should be no play

A quick check, with the car in 5th, that arm ... lump is all the way over and will go no further.

Mate also said he felt a vibration, and I don't trust this bloody box now.

What sort of vibration

Violent

Quick slow

Gear stick

Whole car

Steering

High revs

Which gears

Accelerator, coasting, engine braking

And so on

Not a lot to go on yet

Okay.

Whats happened to the gearbox so far;
Replaced CV shaft seals,
Replaced input bearing and seal.
Resealed box.
NOTE; I removed the Diff thinking it was holding another shaft in, so that got reinstalled too (I ... might have also dropped the diff on the floor).

Since splitting the box, I've had the popping out normally at speed. My drive to work is all twisty roads, few hills, nothing major.

On long trips, motorways, it will want to pop out, clutch in, back into gear, not problem for a while.

Since reinstall, I swear I got a vibration in my feet. I know its insane, but I swear its new. Just a something.

Car still drives fine, shifts nices, no noises, just going along and POP out of 5th.

Tried rocking along in 4th, no problem, just 5th.

Back