IMG_0334.JPG

Panda (Classic) Restoring my Sisley

Introduction

I thought you guys might like to see my Sisley project in progress.

When I bought the car 3 years ago it had been attacked with bricks and so it had dents all over it! These have now been filled and I am in the process of painting it....Nato Green! (I know some purists will not be happy but I aim to keep everything else 100% Pure Sisley)
This has been slow as I'm using the car daily and I don't have anywhere to spray, except the garden, and I've been waiting for good weather.
I found some almost rust free doors at the breakers and mint condition boot and bonnet. Sprayed them today.
Got the 4x4 Sisley door decals.
Hoping to get a genuine roof rack.
Just got rear bull bars and have front one (a bit dented).

Still lots to do but getting there!
I'll add photos as I go.

enjoy!

Matt
Ok, we need to rewind and clarify a couple of things.

I'm assuming you are clear on how the caps fit under the heads of the wheel bolts as you have them on the rear ok, is this correct?

The part 'A' is the drive shaft and cannot be easily altered, but there shouldn't be any reason why it needs to be if everything is correct. Two possible things which could be wrong are.....

1. The caps you are trying to fit are the wrong ones. Can you confirm that they are the same as the ones in the Ebay link I posted earlier ( post no.31 ).
2. The driveshaft is fitted incorrectly. There is a washer that fits onto the shaft before it passes through the hub assembly, if I remember correctly, if this is missing the shaft ( part 'A' ) will stick out further. Is it the same situation on both front wheels?

Last edited:
Yes I do have the correct caps as in your link and I do know how to fit them.
The problem is that the drive shafts stick out too far (by about 6mm).
I think your theory about the washers makes sense as both sides are the same.
I'll investigate this further.
Is there any chance that if the washers are missing, the drive shafts will be too long? I get a CV joint knocking noise when steering is fully locked.
thanks again.
Matt

Yes I do have the correct caps as in your link and I do know how to fit them.
The problem is that the drive shafts stick out too far (by about 6mm).
I think your theory about the washers makes sense as both sides are the same.
I'll investigate this further.
Is there any chance that if the washers are missing, the drive shafts will be too long? I get a CV joint knocking noise when steering is fully locked.
thanks again.
Matt

The washers are about 6mm thick so this may be the problem.

If you've got knocking on lock then it sounds like the CV's are worn anyway. The shafts won't be too long as there is only one size, somebody correct me if I'm wrong there.

If I were you I'd fit some washers first and see if this helps with the fitting of the caps and the knocking of the CV's. My guess is that you will be able to get the caps on but still have the knocking, but it's worth a try, it may save you the expence of new CV joints.

The washers are about 6mm thick so this may be the problem.

If you've got knocking on lock then it sounds like the CV's are worn anyway. The shafts won't be too long as there is only one size, somebody correct me if I'm wrong there.

If I were you I'd fit some washers first and see if this helps with the fitting of the caps and the knocking of the CV's. My guess is that you will be able to get the caps on but still have the knocking, but it's worth a try, it may save you the expence of new CV joints.
Thanks VmanC. I have been to the garage and they have confirmed what you have said.
They recommend having the parts when I disassemble the hub to save waiting.
All i need to do now is source the washers!
If anyone knows exactly what I need I would appreciate the help.
The garage said they are 'hat shaped'.
Anyone got an exploded diagram???

See post #24 in this thread.

Some of the other posts in this thread may help too as there are some photos in other peoples' posts on this thread.

Those washers are pretty heavy duty and durable. A used pair would be fine, should you turn out to need them. I bet some members on this very forum have some tucked away.

If the washers are missing all that will affect is how far into the gearbox the other end of the shaft goes. This may be your clunking noise on full lock as the spider bearing at the drive end may be running almost out of the drive bit. (Sorry, I don't know what it's called).

Last edited:
It may be. Have you tried full lock? Under load it may just be enough to pop the driveshaft out. This will certainly damage the bearings on the end. I know, it's happened to me.

I would fit them if I was you. It could save you a lot more money and hassle in the future.

Back