Technical Rear caliper tool

Currently reading:
Technical Rear caliper tool

Eh up

I agree it’s not been thought through- pi88ed me off no end when I started this job even though I followed info on here which was great and saved me a fortunate verses garage costs

No doubt you will fathom it out, one thing I remember is my wobble bar extension set was really useful 👍

Eh up

I agree it’s not been thought through- pi88ed me off no end when I started this job even though I followed info on here which was great and saved me a fortunate verses garage costs

No doubt you will fathom it out, one thing I remember is my wobble bar extension set was really useful 👍
I've loosend off the wheel bearing carrier bolts which took a breaker bar to crack them off so that part shouldn't give me too much grief the I will remove the abs sensors stop them getting broke, then I hoping after that it should be pretty straight forward just a lot of hassle for a pad and disc chang seeing I changed both front ones in an hour

When they replaced your discs did they changed the hub bearings? as tomorrow is my discs day to be changed was going to do it at the weekend but hadvto much on
Not so far as I know. The only parts on the invoice were discs and pads. (I might have expected a hub nut too?). I suppose when I asked how they did it, they could have meant they removed the hub carrier bolts (the four on the back)? But I’m sure they spoke of just one - the hub nut.

Last edited:
On the rewind tool, I got one of ebay for £10, new chinese thing that had a whole range of fittings, and left and right hand rewind parts. Ok quality but it get used so infrequently that it doesn't really matter, certainly beats pliers

On the rewind tool, I got one of ebay for £10, new chinese thing that had a whole range of fittings, and left and right hand rewind parts. Ok quality but it get used so infrequently that it doesn't really matter, certainly beats pliers
I bought one of those cube tools was only a fiver so save me the time and hassle of making one I pencilled it in to do today but things are a bit mad at work and home at the moment so I'm gonna try and do it monday

I've got a double garaged arranged for Thursday to finally get on with this,was going to do it at work but there's too many distractions and nosey sods at work and the way the weather's been I'm not going to do it on my drive! so I binned those 2 ideas, I'm going to try left side yellowcar way and the right side the with hub nut hub off way for the benefit of experiment and see whether it does actually damage the bearing or whether that's bs

I've got a double garaged arranged for Thursday to finally get on with this,was going to do it at work but there's too many distractions and nosey sods at work and the way the weather's been I'm not going to do it on my drive! so I binned those 2 ideas, I'm going to try left side yellowcar way and the right side the with hub nut hub off way for the benefit of experiment and see whether it does actually damage the bearing or whether that's bs
I don't think there is any reason there will be bearing damage if you are sympathetic to the set up; you probably just don't want the bearing to separate...

When I do them I will take photos of everything I do I might try one side the yellowcar way and the other side by removing the hub, and see if I can get the wheel hub off without knacking the wheel bearing, what annoys me is if fiat had used their noodle they wouldn't have hidden the caliper carriers bolt behind the bloody subframe!
I couldnt agree more its not much of a recommendation for their engineering prowess is it. I Havnt had to look too closely yet but a cusrory look left me speechless at the stupidity of this. I know it works but that is n ot the end of it.

May the Gods of Pandas be with you.

Hi,

Hub nut removal way......If the stub axle and inner bearing race are corroded then the inner race can be left behind on the stub axle requiring new wheel bearing.

Clean and grease the stub axle and the bearing will slide off next time.

Good luck (-:
Jack

PS good luck with the cube rewind thing-I hope you are strong (-:

Hi,

Hub nut removal way......If the stub axle and inner bearing race are corroded then the inner race can be left behind on the stub axle requiring new wheel bearing.

Clean and grease the stub axle and the bearing will slide off next time.

Good luck (-:
Jack

PS good luck with the cube rewind thing-I hope you are strong (-:
I should be OK with it but tomorrow the fat lady sings 🤣🤣 one good thing the lady who owns the garage is always spot on with the coffee and biccies when I do work on her lawn tractors 😃😀

As the jedi's say may the force be with me 😂🤣
You'll be fine; first side took me 2+ hrs as I went up the learning curve, second just 45 minutes (and that was with a G-cramp and adjustable for the brake pistons). Have to say I did take the Yellowcar route - I'd want to know a replacement bearing was available before I messed with the hubs.

That being said I admire your thirst for knowledge!!

1000003224.jpg
1000003225.jpg
1000003227.jpg

The driveshaft refused to come out of the hub so I went the other route, these are the worst discs to change I've ever done I hope when I'm done I hope I never have to do them again, they were badly designed, I will finish the other side in the morning

Done the offside, every bolt was mega tight and corroded having to heat up bolts to get them out, then the bleed nipple decided it didn't want tighten up, so I had to clamp the pipe take it out and clean it up and bleed it so best part of four hours, only part that went smoothly was winding in the piston, I cracked off all the bolts to do the nearside tomorrow
Very thorough I'm afraid I did the calliper clean up on the car (no brake bleed). On the tight bolts thing (you probably noted) all the bolts on mine appeared to have blue thread lock on - a bit of heat (hot air gun) helped this situation otherwise just very well fitting tools (read new!).

One of your photos triggered a memory about removing the bottom shock bolt which I think gets you some more room (allowing the radius arm to drop some more) in the wheel arch (I can't think I would have done this for any other job back there?).

Back