Technical Proper tappet adjustment

Currently reading:
Technical Proper tappet adjustment

Can anyone please give me instructions on how to adjust the tappets properly? I'm getting a backfire and I believe the tappets need to be readjusted to the proper clearance. I just can't remember if the engine needs to be TDC or somewhere else before adjusting.

Turn the engine over so that the inlet valve one one cylinder is closing and the exhaust is opening. Set the clearance on the other cylinder. Rotate the engine so the same thing is happening on the cylinder you've just adjusted and set the other. Rotate again and double check.

Can anyone please give me instructions on how to adjust the tappets properly? I'm getting a backfire and I believe the tappets need to be readjusted to the proper clearance. I just can't remember if the engine needs to be TDC or somewhere else before adjusting.
When adjusting the tappets on the 500 (or 126) engine you use the "5 system"---when one valve is fully depressed, you adjust the valve that adds up to '5'. To wit---if number 1 valve is depressed, adjust number 4 (4+1 = 5). If number 2 valve is fully depressed, you adjust number 3 (3 + 2= 5). It doesn't really matter which end you count from as long as count from the same end all the time! Have you got a '500' engine in your car or a '126'engine? The tappet settings are slightly different.

When adjusting the tappets on the 500 (or 126) engine you use the "5 system"---when one valve is fully depressed, you adjust the valve that adds up to '5'. To wit---if number 1 valve is depressed, adjust number 4 (4+1 = 5). If number 2 valve is fully depressed, you adjust number 3 (3 + 2= 5). It doesn't really matter which end you count from as long as count from the same end all the time! Have you got a '500' engine in your car or a '126'engine? The tappet settings are slightly different.
650cc engine. I gave this a try yesterday. Seemed like there was zero clearance on the tappets so I had to adjust them all. I took it out for a quick ride and all seemed well but I need to go out for a longer ride so it gets real hot then see if it still backfires when I turn the ignition off.

650cc engine. I gave this a try yesterday. Seemed like there was zero clearance on the tappets so I had to adjust them all. I took it out for a quick ride and all seemed well but I need to go out for a longer ride so it gets real hot then see if it still backfires when I turn the ignition off.
On a 126 engine, tappets should be set at:---INLET-- 8thou, EXHAUST---10thou. These settings are for adjusting the tappets COLD.

Back