Technical Oil from small pipe/grommet of cam cover

Currently reading:
Technical Oil from small pipe/grommet of cam cover

Jodsclass

Hi Everyone.

I’ve got a weird small oil leak just under the air box on the cam cover. There seems to be a plastic pipe with stopper in on top of the cam cover. I cleared all traces of oil residue from the front of the engine a few days back & when I’ve checked today there is a small amount around this pipe. Does anyone know what this is for & why it would be leaking oil?

It's a 2017 1.2

Any help much appreciated because I've never seen this on our older pandas.

Attachments

• IMG_7699 Large.jpeg
    IMG_7699 Large.jpeg
    429.8 KB · Views: 42
Can anyone help with this? I tried to seal it with adhesive, but It's still managing to leak out.

Attachments

• IMG_7750.jpeg
    IMG_7750.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 8
Did you try sealing from the outside? might have to remove the cover and try from the inside! might be worth trying using RTV sealant rather than just glue!

Did you try sealing from the outside? might have to remove the cover and try from the inside! might be worth trying using RTV sealant rather than just glue!
I tried from the outside, couldn't pull the bung out without damaging it, It's stuck really tight & nothing to grab hold of, so cleaned off around the gap and sealed with glue.

I can order some J-B Weld 31314 High Temperature RTV and try cocooning the whole bung with a layer. I'm due to drive up to Manchester from Cornwall at the weekend which is 330 miles, so need a quick fix before I can get in and either permanently seal or if needs must source a replacement cover. That amount of oil was after driving 10 miles this morning.

Its hard to see from the pictures does this bung push in or screw in?
If its screw in ,a bead of rtv around the thread lightly screw in finger tight allow to cure for a few hours then tighten a LITTLE more to squeeze the rubber into the threads.
IF its push in then i doubt it can be sealed effectively so a new cover might be needed!

Its hard to see from the pictures does this bung push in or screw in?
If its screw in ,a bead of rtv around the thread lightly screw in finger tight allow to cure for a few hours then tighten a LITTLE more to squeeze the rubber into the threads.
IF its push in then i doubt it can be sealed effectively so a new cover might be needed!
I believe it's push in. Found this other thread & this is the picture that was posted.

Attachments

• 7B590F9E-0BE8-4913-B16C-9540D4554A2B.jpeg
    7B590F9E-0BE8-4913-B16C-9540D4554A2B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
I believe it's push in. Found this other thread & this is the picture that was posted.

Suppose it would be worth trying what they did!?

Suppose it would be worth trying what they did!?
Yeah, I can try that when I can get hold of a new set of gaskets & a dry day to do it. Was just wondering if there was a way to temporarily patch/slow it so I can at least get us to Manchester & back. Besides taking a drum of oil & filling at every stop depending on how quick it's actually leaking.

I’ve also looked for the rocker/cam cover for the 2017 1.2, and I can't find one available to buy. If anyone has a good source, I'd be interested to know.

Yeah, I can try that when I can get hold of a new set of gaskets & a dry day to do it. Was just wondering if there was a way to temporarily patch/slow it so I can at least get us to Manchester & back. Besides taking a drum of oil & filling at every stop depending on how quick it's actually leaking.

I’ve also looked for the rocker/cam cover for the 2017 1.2, and I can't find one available to buy. If anyone has a good source, I'd be interested to know.
You can do what i suggested with the rtv even if it dont stop it it might slow it down and reduce the oil cosumption and mess it makes!

You can do what i suggested with the rtv even if it dont stop it it might slow it down and reduce the oil cosumption and mess it makes!
Just tried again to remove the bung, but it's stuck solid. Will have to try to seal it externally & see how it goes. I can't risk taking the cover off without the new gaskets/o-rings, or I could just go from a small leak to a massive one. Might see if I have anything I can screw into the hole to give me some purchase & pull it out. Don't want to go through the bung, but at least to grab the sides of the centre in the bung. Trying to grab the round edge, the plastic bung just distorts so you can't apply enough pressure to even twist it.

Just tried again to remove the bung, but it's stuck solid. Will have to try to seal it externally & see how it goes. I can't risk taking the cover off without the new gaskets/o-rings, or I could just go from a small leak to a massive one. Might see if I have anything I can screw into the hole to give me some purchase & pull it out. Don't want to go through the bung, but at least to grab the sides of the centre in the bung. Trying to grab the round edge, the plastic bung just distorts so you can't apply enough pressure to even twist it.
If its stuck in that firm maybe if you put something like chemical metal around the outside that would seal it properly / sounds like a new cover is on the card though so its worth doing research to see if there are different makes and specs around?- you might find a re-designed cover or one with a metal rather than plastic bung? .
Hope you have safe journey , still take some top up oil with you( and a supply of clean up rags in case there is a mess!).

If its stuck in that firm maybe if you put something like chemical metal around the outside that would seal it properly / sounds like a new cover is on the card though so its worth doing research to see if there are different makes and specs around?- you might find a re-designed cover or one with a metal rather than plastic bung? .
Hope you have safe journey , still take some top up oil with you( and a supply of clean up rags in case there is a mess!).
Will give it a go. I'll also give it a few light but firm taps with a rubber mallet before I seal it again. Maybe if pressure has slightly unseated it, I can lock it back into place. Such a terrible bit of design. So strange though, looking at other 1.2 rocker covers on the inside (pics online), this bung is on the outside of a tube that feeds oil to the top of the cover to coat the cams from above. Surely if that pipe is open internally, even under pressure, the oil would rather fall out of an open hole than push past a bung.

I'll take a litre of oil & can always buy more on the go if needs be. Honestly, my 20-year-old Panda was less dramatic & more bulletproof than this.

OK. Possibly the most bodge job I’ve ever done. Tried to remove the bung, no go. Tried tapping it back in with a rubber mallet. No change.

So I cleaned it completely, raided my wife's lotions & potions & stole one of her silicone pipettes. Chopped the end off and strong-armed it over the bung. Cable tied in place. Ran the car up to temperature & it didn't swell or build up any pressure. Revved the engine up to 2.5-3k revs for a few mins, same, no pressure build up & no leakage. The silicone is about 3mm thick, so should be tough enough to hold any small amounts of pressure build up nicely. No idea if it will hold. The car has been idling now for 30 mins and still not a drop. Silicone doesn't feel hot, so it feels like it isn't filling with hot oil.

Attachments

• IMG_7758.jpeg
    IMG_7758.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7756.jpeg
    IMG_7756.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Thought I'd update on this. None of my fixes worked. Fiat suggested I checked all breather hoses, which I checked & actually looked almost pristine inside. A slight amount of mayo on one edge, but clean & clear. Replaced them fully cleared out. The leak got worse & worse until eventually the whole plastic bung on the front gave way & oil was pumped out onto the drive. It's a plastic insert & the bond looks very weak. No screw thread or anything securing it apart from a tiny strip of glue/bond. A definite weak spot. I reckon I lost about 1 litre in the few seconds it was running from starting to popping off. Luckily, my wife was still on the drive & shouted me to stop the engine when she heard the liquid hit the floor.

Replacement cam covers seem to be like hens teeth. My mechanic couldn't find an after market in stock & fiat are now supplying. Dealer network say they don't have one in the UK so it's coming in from Italy with a 15-day lead time. So the car is off the road for the next few weeks. This cap actually covers a pretty main oil feed to the top of the cam cover. The oil came out thick & fast under the pressure of the oil pump. If yours is leaking, I’d start looking for a replacement rocker cover. Fiat know of this issue & the dealer stated the replacement part is now alloy. Annoyingly, they don't consider this a recall, as it seems to happen randomly & the parts department seem to think depends on usage. If this has happened at road speed, it would have only taken seconds to lose the entire oil contents of the engine.

Sad state of affairs. This plastic cam cover is a real downgrade from the old alloy cover we had on our 1.2 panda.

Lastly, a picture of the car, laying dead, & the start of the oil clean up & one of the hole without the bung (which is lost somewhere in the engine bay/bumper assembly). The drive is going to take a lot of cleaning to get the oil out.

Attachments

• IMG_7856 copy.jpeg
    IMG_7856 copy.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7858.jpeg
    IMG_7858.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 9
Back