Technical Input shaft bearing renewal

Currently reading:
Technical Input shaft bearing renewal

I noticed above in original article that the input shaft replacement bearing was quoted to be, but then also Mr Wild linked to the following bearing 6204-2RSR-C3 (The C3 part means it has extra clearence for hotter running).

Can anybody confirm the exact code for the 1.2 Fiat Punto 8v, as I am pretty sure I have the same problem and fancy giving this a go myself.

Does anyone happen to know what bearing a 16v would require? I'm assuming the same size as the 8v as the oil seal is the same ?

sold my gearbox and got left with his "bad" one, it was making noise while driving, gonna open it up just out of curiosity, is there any other seal that is producing noise after it fails?

Seal is £10 from fiat,input shaft bearing quoted £35,bought bearing from local bearing factor(heavy duty)for less than £10. You have to strip the gear box down as the input shaft seal is only accessible from inside the box.

Input shaft seal in gear box,as when I rang up he could not find it,and had to ring me back. Also get red gear box sealant,for alloy casing,and if you remove tin end plate,resell this with black sump sealant.Dont know price of this,as had some in my tool box from last job.

Input shaft seal in gear box,as when I rang up he could not find it,and had to ring me back. Also get red gear box sealant,for alloy casing,and if you remove tin end plate,resell this with black sump sealant.Dont know price of this,as had some in my tool box from last job.
cheers multipete rang fiat got the seal ordered £10.48 and ive ordered this bearing from a local bearing supplier with the code 6204-2rsr-c3 is this the correct one ???

Well changed the seal and bearing today , with the help of a good friend :) , a lot easier than expected touching wood all is good been for a test drive and smooth as a roller. The original bearing and seal were absolutely ruined and the wobble on the shaft oh my :eek: but great thread thanks ..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 223
Well changed the seal and bearing today , with the help of a good friend :) , a lot easier than expected touching wood all is good been for a test drive and smooth as a roller. The original bearing and seal were absolutely ruined and the wobble on the shaft oh my :eek: but great thread thanks ..

did it ruin your clutch?

But hopefully this will cure your issue
I think mine is developing this as well.... punto boxes are... Crap

Hopefully since i've got this bearing ready ages ago - i shud be okay untill then

Ziggy

Nice one Ryan,,,,,,all good now then ??.........just wish the evil weather would clear off so we can paint our wheels....lol

It did leave a real smear of oil all over the clutch , but a can of clutch cleaner and some acetone I think has saved it . a lot easier to split the box than first thought , the actual splitting of the box and replacing the seal and bearing only took around 20 mins , tommorow is another day so wether there's definitely not any leaks or slipping is another question , fingers crossed it all road worthy again

It did leave a real smear of oil all over the clutch , but a can of clutch cleaner and some acetone I think has saved it . a lot easier to split the box than first thought , the actual splitting of the box and replacing the seal and bearing only took around 20 mins , tommorow is another day so wether there's definitely not any leaks or slipping is another question , fingers crossed it all road worthy again

I'd be careful as you may still find the clutch will slip under full load....

As the clutch is an absorbative material - it soaks up the oil pretty darn well

You may find that once its fitted, you have replace it still
OR have to keep cleaning it through the inspection hole till it either settles / costs too much / have to replace it

Never tried to save a clutch
once soaked, its better to just replace in my eyes

Ziggy

The weathers not so friendly to us ' more mature ' folk....lol

Back