Technical Fiat Fiorino 2013 timing chain

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat Fiorino 2013 timing chain

Frax

Hi Inhave just bought my daughter a Fiat Fiorino 2013 multi jet van for my daughter, it has 168,000 miles on it with no service history, the van runs fine but just wondered if I should change the timing chain, seen somwhere that it should be done at 150,000 miles, I did ask at the garage and they said if it's always serviced it should not require doing, is it a big job to do, any help would be great.

Hi Inhave just bought my daughter a Fiat Fiorino 2013 multi jet van for my daughter, it has 168,000 miles on it with no service history, the van runs fine but just wondered if I should change the timing chain, seen somwhere that it should be done at 150,000 miles, I did ask at the garage and they said if it's always serviced it should not require doing, is it a big job to do, any help would be great.
I assume this is the multijet diesel.
My daughter had an 06 Grande Punto with the earlier version of that engine where it had failed and I had to do all the work.
The later ones are meant to be better , but I am surprised if it hasn't been changed at some point already at that mileage.
I assume given the mileage there will not be much in the way of warranty?
Have you looked to see if any signs that the cover has been off?
The only other advise I can give is, if it is running quietly and no other issues in that area, do the oil change and filter a bit more frequently and listen for any warning noises in that area, generally chains start to sound noisy when about to fail, unlike cambelts which can just snap.

Thank you for your help, I have not had a proper look yet but am going to today, the engine runs fine with no excessive noise, no warranty was given with the van, I had looked at quite a few but they all had a lot of rust, this one has a good body but there is some lacquer peel. I am hoping that the chain has been changed, the only thing the garage could tell me was that the injectors had been done, will let you know what I find today.

Had a good look at it today and I can see nothing to say it has been changed, any recommendations on a good timing chain replacement kit, about how long would the job take, thinking I had rather play safe and just do it. any tips or special tools required.

Had a good look at it today and I can see nothing to say it has been changed, any recommendations on a good timing chain replacement kit, about how long would the job take, thinking I had rather play safe and just do it. any tips or special tools required.
It was some years ago when I did my daughters one. The crankshaft sprocket is "freewheeling" meaning it relies on a new special bolt correctly torqued to hold it in place, as if it isn't done correctly it will cause the same damage as if the chain failed on it's own
So others here can give more current advice. There are special locking tools etc. required to do the job yourself and if the original lasted all that time , then a genuine kit sounds like a good investment depending on price etc.
If taking to a garage, make sure it a reputable one you trust and warranties their work.
However if no strange noises or other concerns regarding the chain, it may be worth regularly servicing and keeping an eye on it.
I won't say never, but generally chains give warnings but belts don't!;)

Than you bugsymike, you have now put me of doing it, I have done engines before with a freewheeling bolt and I had to revisit it 3 times before it actually locked, it did not do any damage but did used to smoke and struggled to start, it was a job I did not want to do again, can it not be done without removing the crankshaft bolt, suppose that would make things far to easy 😂

I have done a lot of work on diggers mostly but bigger engines, as said regular servicing and a good ear and look out for any changes in noise.

Gas, Water and Electric utility vans, where they are serviced religiously seem to get over 200k miles reliably

Private cars often fail at 80/120k

Its NOT an easy job, and the parts bill only gains @50% with a failure (sacrificial parts..)

So many are just left to their own devices, regular servicing continues

I have had 3 in the 2007/8 build era..
All sounding differently.. 🤔

Racked up @30k each.. Without mechanical issues

Options indeed 🙂

Thank you varescrazy I will give the van a full service and keep a good eye on it, keep on good listen for any change in noise's, I suppose no two are the same and it will just be a chance you take, need to have a good read about them and make myself more familiar with these engines.

Back