General Fiat ducato 2001

Currently reading:
General Fiat ducato 2001

Wrongmove

Hello everyone
I have just found this forum and am hoping , someone could offer me some advice,
As I've just joined i posted this in the wrong section at first.. hopefully i am in the right place this time
I purchased a 2001 fiat ducato based motorhome last September.
Knowing that my area was soon to be included within the ulez zone which starts tomorrow.
What i did not realise is that because my motorhome was registered in July 2001. It also is not lez compliant.
I did type in the registration number on the tfl website but it came up as we have no information on this vehicle.
It was not until I put the vehicle in for automatic payments on the tfl website that i was informed that i would have to pay £100.00 per day lez charge and £12.50 ulez...
The engine is 2.8d with 45000 miles..
My question is does anyone know of a particulate filter that would fit this..
Any info would be greatly appreciated as we saved for a long time to get this, and feel at the moment that we have thrown our money away.

Oh man , you're gonna hate me then . I also have a 2.8 , a year older , but with around the same mileage , and that is not compliant either . Now i'm gonna be honest here , it's not really a problem , because London is a place i wouldn't take a motorhome anyway . But what's comical is , it was compliant today .

Now that's not helping you , i know , you live there , so what do you do . Well i'm afraid your only real option is to either pay the bill , or keep the vehicle outside the zone , i know which one i would choose .
I don't know of any conversion to make your vehicle compliant , available on the market today . What's worse , i would seriously doubt such a conversion actually exists , and there's little chance of anything in the future ever becoming available . Even if there was , that would make your vehicle a one off , so my guess is your vehicle probably wouldn't get recognised , anyway .
As i understand it the charge is only for the time you drive in London , so it's not every day . But the second option sounds far more attractive , find a storage depot outside the zone . I don't know what area you live , so i can't really help you , but there are storage areas all over the country .

Sorry , but that's the truth .

Hello airwave
To be honest, I was told by someone that i could have a dpf filter fitted and then take it to have emissions tested but i did not hold out much hope that this was the case,
I was also told that i could change the engine for a newer model, update the log book and then take it to have the emissions
tested... with my luck recently i feel this is too much of a risk.
I live in romford.. just inside the m25..
One stroke of luck is that i do have somewhere i can store it, outside the zone
Just have to take my belongings by car to the storage place instead of doing it outside my house. Bit of a pain but what can you do..
Thanks for the truthful message.. i

Hello airwave
To be honest, I was told by someone that i could have a dpf filter fitted and then take it to have emissions tested but i did not hold out much hope that this was the case,
I was also told that i could change the engine for a newer model, update the log book and then take it to have the emissions
tested... with my luck recently i feel this is too much of a risk.
I live in romford.. just inside the m25..
One stroke of luck is that i do have somewhere i can store it, outside the zone
Just have to take my belongings by car to the storage place instead of doing it outside my house. Bit of a pain but what can you do..
Thanks for the truthful message.. i

I really am sorry to be the bringer of bad news , by i am a truthful person by nature . I hate telling people it can't be done , but frankly you were in a hopeless situation . Look at these two options you mention and ask yourself one simple question . If that's the case , why doesn't every one do it , instead of protest ? . The answer is staring you right in the face . The fact is someone , whoever they were , told you a load of crock . I don't live in London , and to be honest wouldn't want too , but i did used to visit London privately about twice a year . Normally i would go by train to save the grief of trying to find somewhere to park , but the fact is since the rail network was privatised , and prices rose , i've not bothered , but it gets worse . I'm a trucker by trade , and used to go into London almost every day . Now i rarely go , in fact , over the last 15 years i have been about 4 times , all down to the congestion charge . Employers won't pay the charge , and employees certainly won't . It's either added to the price , or more often the case just refuse the job all together . In much the same way , i can't use the M6 toll , or even some toll bridges . I personally don't think it won't last long . Once London's economy nose dives , which in my opinion it will , it will be reversed , either that or face a slum town .

Now your second option was the best , the log book is the key , but . A few years ago (actually it was a lot longer) , there was a large industry , who transplanted all kinds of engines , into many different cars . There was an even bigger industry that enabled people to build their own car , and then we had the custom car market , this all stopped when we joined the EU . Legislation was passed , by Brussels to make these individual cars difficult to gain acceptance . The result , the industry disappeared . Since then UK legislation has been tightened further , and bow we are now at a point where it's almost impossible to convert a standard van into a camper . It is still possible , but very difficult , use glue instead of a bolt , and they won't change the log book . The emission option was really a none starter . Many motorhomes do not have co2 content registered . The government realised this a few years back when they started linking road tax to emissions , and so now all motorhomes have co2 content listed on their logbook , and many pay higher road tax . I don't think i need to point out the obvious here do i ! .

Yes i know Romford , hah being there many a time , even passed though to Dageham , when the 25 was screwing around , get on the 13 , and across the brook via Woolwich . Bit of a long way around , but still handy to know for when the bridge was stuffed . The most important thing is you did have an option , and frankly as i said before , it is the best one . I feel your pain loading up , you are in effect packing twice .

Thanks, yes i think the person that told me was either misinformed himself or just told me something he thought I would like to hear.
my log book hasnt got any co2 content mentioned as you stated.
It is all a bit of a choker as we have only actually been away in it twice (locally) as when i first purchased it we had a spate of bad weather and then being self employed was busy at work...
The m25 is around half a mile from us... (Harold wood)
I had my first job there cleaning out the offices when they started building the motorway at brook street...
Anyway thanks for the messages .. will persevere with it though as i think it is great, (when we have the weather)

Thanks, yes i think the person that told me was either misinformed himself or just told me something he thought I would like to hear.
my log book hasnt got any co2 content mentioned as you stated.
It is all a bit of a choker as we have only actually been away in it twice (locally) as when i first purchased it we had a spate of bad weather and then being self employed was busy at work...
The m25 is around half a mile from us... (Harold wood)
I had my first job there cleaning out the offices when they started building the motorway at brook street...
Anyway thanks for the messages .. will persevere with it though as i think it is great, (when we have the weather)

I'm afraid there are plenty of them about . Right now , social media seems to breed them . I used to know someone like that at school , we were never really good friends , because i struggled to figure what was true , and what was bull**** . I've noticed particularly on you tube , there's a group of people who try to do it as a living . Unfortunately for them , there's still enough of us oldies around at the minute , to call them out . A few years ago , i was (actually still am) a member of another forum , that dealt with motorhomes specifically , and it was endemic . I don't log on that much now , i literally can't be bothered . Some clearly had no idea what they were talking about , others just wanted to have their voice heard . Yet among them , there were some who did really know their stuff . I called one out , because the subject was something i'd research extensively , as i had the same problem , and got penalised for it . Had the owner googled it , he would have had a heart attack quite literally . The repair is expensive , often running into several thousand , and a diy repair , though possible , very difficult . I managed to avoid the penalty , by explaining to the Moderator my reasons , and he actually admitted i appeared to know my stuff , but to go easy in future . Since then i've limited myself to only vehicles i've actually owned , and frankly that's not many . i don't feel the need to change my vehicles on a whim .
I don't get on here that often , but i do pop in from time to time . I will try to help with a duke , but only a x230 as that's the vehicle i own . My van is presently undergoing some quite extensive work , and it's been off the road for close on three years now . I hope to return it later this year .

It's really difficult to say whether he was misguided or just plain blagging it , all i will say , is treat with care . Don't believe everything your told , and ask yourself that one simple question , why don't everyone do that ? . This forum does appear to be particularly good , but i don't get on that often , i'm quite busy , but still pop in from time to time .
I will say just one final thing on the subject , and it's the same thing a guy told me when i first started on forums . The're are always people who need to have their voice heard ! , and it's true .

Okay , so co2 content , none of the older motorhomes do , only newer ones , but i'm not sure why that's the case ! . Cars usually have the box completed no matter their age , except in only certain cases . It's only recently changed , maybe the last 5 years or so , basically when the road tax was last mucked about with . The government linked emissions to tax , and as a result , i've heard of some motorhome owners now paying double the rate , to a vehicle of your age , be grateful . I actually pay less than that , as my van has been replated , but it needs a special licence , which it just so happens , i have . It's a loophole , and may even have been closed by now , but to be honest , i don't know for sure .
The beauty of a motorhome , is weather shouldn't affect you , so don't let that stop you using it . Just be careful where you park , especially after a long heavy period of rain , avoid grass . Being front wheel drive , they are not well known for their grip , and many camp sites will not help with recovery , due to litigation . You would think , as the heavy engine is over the drive wheels , the grip would be better , but trust me that's not the case . The conversion actually puts most of the weight on the rear wheels , and they are unpowered . In my case , i have even more weight due to a motorbike carried on the back (reason for the replate) .
Get out and use the thing , at what did you say 46000 , it's barely run in ! . These motors are good for about 3-500 000 miles .
Check your gearbox , if you have an mg5 it has a weak spot . Don't engage 5th till over 50 mph , and should be overfilled with oil . Easy way to tell is the shift pattern . Reverse , right and down , mg5 . Left and up , me5 . Book states 1.6? , i put 2.6 in mine , total capacity is 3ltrs , just don't ask me how i know , okay ! .
I don't know where you keep your van , and don't want to , but if your in Harold wood , that don't sound too bad . My van normally lives 18 miles away , in storage . It's only here now for the work i'm doing , and only just fits on the drive . It would be impossible to do it , in storage .

Yes keep at it , and enjoy it , the future is looking rather bleak for motors of this age , and in particular motorhomes . When i first started this work , it had a far better outlook , now i'm seriously looking at returning to boats , a sail boat . I'm watching current events very carefully .

Good luck , and enjoy .

Next they will be taxing the sea farers... I would say to everyone - don't live in cities, lol... they are a haven for bad air especially around the Village!

There was a guy who successfully argued for a change on his Merc van, after retrofitting an INOX DPF particulate filter…I’ve been looking for the link but google is a pain…unfortunately that only means compliance with euro 4, so anyone who claims to meet current standards is being sketchy with the truth

I'm afraid there are plenty of them about . Right now , social media seems to breed them . I used to know someone like that at school , we were never really good friends , because i struggled to figure what was true , and what was bull**** . I've noticed particularly on you tube , there's a group of people who try to do it as a living . Unfortunately for them , there's still enough of us oldies around at the minute , to call them out . A few years ago , i was (actually still am) a member of another forum , that dealt with motorhomes specifically , and it was endemic . I don't log on that much now , i literally can't be bothered . Some clearly had no idea what they were talking about , others just wanted to have their voice heard . Yet among them , there were some who did really know their stuff . I called one out , because the subject was something i'd research extensively , as i had the same problem , and got penalised for it . Had the owner googled it , he would have had a heart attack quite literally . The repair is expensive , often running into several thousand , and a diy repair , though possible , very difficult . I managed to avoid the penalty , by explaining to the Moderator my reasons , and he actually admitted i appeared to know my stuff , but to go easy in future . Since then i've limited myself to only vehicles i've actually owned , and frankly that's not many . i don't feel the need to change my vehicles on a whim .
I don't get on here that often , but i do pop in from time to time . I will try to help with a duke , but only a x230 as that's the vehicle i own . My van is presently undergoing some quite extensive work , and it's been off the road for close on three years now . I hope to return it later this year .

It's really difficult to say whether he was misguided or just plain blagging it , all i will say , is treat with care . Don't believe everything your told , and ask yourself that one simple question , why don't everyone do that ? . This forum does appear to be particularly good , but i don't get on that often , i'm quite busy , but still pop in from time to time .
I will say just one final thing on the subject , and it's the same thing a guy told me when i first started on forums . The're are always people who need to have their voice heard ! , and it's true .

Okay , so co2 content , none of the older motorhomes do , only newer ones , but i'm not sure why that's the case ! . Cars usually have the box completed no matter their age , except in only certain cases . It's only recently changed , maybe the last 5 years or so , basically when the road tax was last mucked about with . The government linked emissions to tax , and as a result , i've heard of some motorhome owners now paying double the rate , to a vehicle of your age , be grateful . I actually pay less than that , as my van has been replated , but it needs a special licence , which it just so happens , i have . It's a loophole , and may even have been closed by now , but to be honest , i don't know for sure .
The beauty of a motorhome , is weather shouldn't affect you , so don't let that stop you using it . Just be careful where you park , especially after a long heavy period of rain , avoid grass . Being front wheel drive , they are not well known for their grip , and many camp sites will not help with recovery , due to litigation . You would think , as the heavy engine is over the drive wheels , the grip would be better , but trust me that's not the case . The conversion actually puts most of the weight on the rear wheels , and they are unpowered . In my case , i have even more weight due to a motorbike carried on the back (reason for the replate) .
Get out and use the thing , at what did you say 46000 , it's barely run in ! . These motors are good for about 3-500 000 miles .
Check your gearbox , if you have an mg5 it has a weak spot . Don't engage 5th till over 50 mph , and should be overfilled with oil . Easy way to tell is the shift pattern . Reverse , right and down , mg5 . Left and up , me5 . Book states 1.6? , i put 2.6 in mine , total capacity is 3ltrs , just don't ask me how i know , okay ! .
I don't know where you keep your van , and don't want to , but if your in Harold wood , that don't sound too bad . My van normally lives 18 miles away , in storage . It's only here now for the work i'm doing , and only just fits on the drive . It would be impossible to do it , in storage .

Yes keep at it , and enjoy it , the future is looking rather bleak for motors of this age , and in particular motorhomes . When i first started this work , it had a far better outlook , now i'm seriously looking at returning to boats , a sail boat . I'm watching current events very carefully .

Good luck , and enjoy .
Then gearbox is mg5.. thanks for the advice.. ironically the previous owner had a reconditioned gearbox fitted to it in 2021.
Cost him a small fortune, will be looking at the oil.
Luckily the place i can store it is only 10 minutes from us and wont cost me anything, i am just going to get on with it now anyway,
Enjoy it while we can and see what happens in the near future,
Sailboat sounds interesting though.
Once again thanks for your messages.. good advice, clearly given.

There was a guy who successfully argued for a change on his Merc van, after retrofitting an INOX DPF particulate filter…I’ve been looking for the link but google is a pain…unfortunately that only means compliance with euro 4, so anyone who claims to meet current standards is being sketchy with the truth
And i would say keep looking , it could be an interesting read . Fact of the matter is my van was compliant on monday , and not on tuesday . I'm amazed it was in the first place , but i still wouldn't take the thing there . Mine is the lowest euro , whatever that is , citi air class 5 . But basically it's one up from not being a euro standard at all . I'm guessing that's due to the crankcase breather , but honestly i don't really know .

Then gearbox is mg5.. thanks for the advice.. ironically the previous owner had a reconditioned gearbox fitted to it in 2021.
Cost him a small fortune, will be looking at the oil.
Luckily the place i can store it is only 10 minutes from us and wont cost me anything, i am just going to get on with it now anyway,
Enjoy it while we can and see what happens in the near future,
Sailboat sounds interesting though.
Once again thanks for your messages.. good advice, clearly given.

Whoa , result . New gearbox , yes check the oil quick . Better yet change it , it really is a doddle . Your have to remove the reversing light switch to refill it . As i said , i fill to 2.6 . 2.7 , but no more . 3 ltr will fill it completely , and you don't want that . If you need help with the oil , give a shout . Get the temperature gauge off the peg , and only engage 5th above 50 .
It is repairable , and a fair to medium task , but it is difficult , and expensive to source the parts .

Good grief , a double result . 10 minutes , i'm at least 30 , 35 minutes , traffic depending .

Errrr well , i like playing on water , and in the air , hence my acronym airwave . I sail keel boats , and fly hanggliders . The motorhome was a means to an end , i got involved with a hanggliding school , and spent most of the summer on the field .

No problem , take care ,, and enjoy the thing .

Last edited:
I think that all Ducato five speed gearboxes suffer from potential problems. One is the large ratio change between fourth and fifth gears when standard high ratio fifth gear is fitted. As @airwave has mentioned, not a good idea to engage fifth below 50mph. The second problem, which I have mentioned on other threads, is the splash lubrication of the fifth gear.
It is my understanding that the fifth gear was an addition to the original 4 ratio box. It is housed in a separate compartment which protrudes from the main housing. The splash lubrication is fine for vans in constant use, but not as effective on motorhomes which may have long periods when stationary. The advice that I try to observe, and keep repeating, is not to engage fifth in the first mile or to, when the vehicle has been standing for an extended period. (Longer than overnight perhaps?) This allows time for the oil splashes to be collected in the main box, and directed onto the fifth gear components.

For gearbox oil use SAE 75w/80 GL-4. Gl-5 with a higher level of additives may seem attractive, but the phosphorus based additives are reputed to attack the bronze components of the synchronisers. I think that oil capacity is generally the same, with 2.7 +/- 0.3 litres being quoted for the MLGU box on my x244.

Footnote: For the x244 an optional lower ratio fifth gear was available, but it was almost too low, with rpm at 70mph approaching 3000.

I think that all Ducato five speed gearboxes suffer from potential problems. One is the large ratio change between fourth and fifth gears when standard high ratio fifth gear is fitted. As @airwave has mentioned, not a good idea to engage fifth below 50mph. The second problem, which I have mentioned on other threads, is the splash lubrication of the fifth gear.
It is my understanding that the fifth gear was an addition to the original 4 ratio box. It is housed in a separate compartment which protrudes from the main housing. The splash lubrication is fine for vans in constant use, but not as effective on motorhomes which may have long periods when stationary. The advice that I try to observe, and keep repeating, is not to engage fifth in the first mile or to, when the vehicle has been standing for an extended period. (Longer than overnight perhaps?) This allows time for the oil splashes to be collected in the main box, and directed onto the fifth gear components.

For gearbox oil use SAE 75w/80 GL-4. Gl-5 with a higher level of additives may seem attractive, but the phosphorus based additives are reputed to attack the bronze components of the synchronisers. I think that oil capacity is generally the same, with 2.7 +/- 0.3 litres being quoted for the MLGU box on my x244.

Footnote: For the x244 an optional lower ratio fifth gear was available, but it was almost too low, with rpm at 70mph approaching 3000.

Hello mate , i only know about the MG5 issues , mainly because that's what i have fitted . It's interesting you list two faults , because i was led to believe there was only one , which the other helped overcome . I don't bother mentioning the first mile , as very few are able to access fast roads within less than that distance . I think engine heat to be far more effective , as this will help radiate heat through the block , and hence gearbox .
Your understanding of the additional 5th gear to the original box is exactly my understand too . And an inspection of my box , does indeed suggest a separate compartment . Further more , following someone involved with the repair of the particular failure , the matching photos did indeed mirror my layout further strengthening the suggestion that this contains the 5th ratio . Accessibility is from the nearside wheel arch . The GL-5 issues are interesting , as both my owners manual , and workshop manual (laughable description) does suggest the use of a 75w/80 EP , GL-5 API . But i seem to recall , i'm actually using a GL-4 mineral oil . I'll check that tomorrow , i could be confusing that with one of my other vehicles . As to how i found the total capacity , i accidentally overfilled the gearbox .

As an answer to your footnote , i have no idea what my final ratio is , however in 5th gear at 56 , 57 , i'm pulling a shade over 2100 rpm . Climbing to around 2300 at 60 . I like to keep the rev's down , and idle the blower , to reduce fuel usage . I do however get a consistent return of around 30 mpg , best recorded is 31 , @ 57 mph (my vehicle is plated as an hgv) , at about 3.4 ton gross .

Back