Technical Fiat Ducato 2001 (230) 2.8L TD - Limp mode P0220 Pedal Position Code

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat Ducato 2001 (230) 2.8L TD - Limp mode P0220 Pedal Position Code

pod265

Hi Peoples,

I have a 2001 B584 Hymer Motorhome based on Fiat Ducato (230) 2.8L TD.

For the last few months the Hymer is going periodically into limp mode. My garage with an old diagnostic scanner has revealed the error codes P0380 Plate Heating/Thermostart Relay and P0220 Pedal Position Sensor 2 Circuit. After the garage clears the codes, the Hymer drives without problems for another 400 odd miles before the problem reoccurs with the same fault codes. No faults lights appear on the dash.

I see these same problems appear often on this forum and the causes can be many fold. I guess my garage will just have to trace wires from the sensor to the ECU and look for any problems.

But my question relates to devices that can be used to erase the codes without having to go to a garage. Particularly because I am presently in Germany with my Hymer which has gone into limp mode and I can't find a garage which has the equipment to connect to my old 3 pin OMDB socket, not even the Fiat garage! I just want to reset the codes so I can drive back to the UK.

I have seen people mention Fiatecuscan software. Will this work with my 2001 Ducato with it's 3 pin plug and where do I get it? Someone also mentioned a Snapon Ethos Edge Diagnostic Device. Does anyone have experience with this device. Would it fit a 3 pin plug?

I have checked other threads on this forum on the subject but they often seem to end with a resolution I don't understand or no resolution.

I am new to this forum so apologies for the long question and poor technical terminology.

Many thanks

Renzo

Renzo
you need a special adaptor available from Gendan in Swansea.
now what you need depends precisely which engine.
Screenshot(14).png
Screenshot(15).png

The vehicle is based on an x230 model, with 2.8jtd engine. I have seen several posts relating to similar problems with the accelerator wiring, on that model. The reccommended cure has been to remove the 6 way connector behind the dash, which connects between the six wire pedal harness, and the main harness.

See this thread, as an example, but I think that there must be more threads.

If you can locate the connector in an "A" class, (Can the whole dashboard be removed?) then simply reeating the connectors, and applying contact cleaner my effect a temporary repair.

Last edited:
Thanks for your comprehensive reply. Very helpful. I will order the multiecuscan package and the ELM 327 device from Ebay and have it sent to Germany. I have a Windows laptop with me so hopefully that is enough to reset the codes.

I will also look for the 6 way connector and post a photo here to be sure I'm looking in the right area.

I wish I had found this forum before I left for my holiday in Germany!

Thanks for your comprehensive reply. Very helpful. I will order the multiecuscan package and the ELM 327 device from Ebay and have it sent to Germany. I have a Windows laptop with me so hopefully that is enough to reset the codes.

I will also look for the 6 way connector and post a photo here to be sure I'm looking in the right area.

I wish I had found this forum before I left for my holiday in Germany!
As much as we all like to save a couple of bob in this case i think the one stop shop of Gendan could save a lot of grief. The adaptor i got from Gendan was of a much better quality than ebay sourced. This assumes Gendan can supply into germany. Ps i have no connection other than as a satisfied customer.

I bought the 3 pin adaptor from ebay thinking I could just connect it to my OBD scanner but from above you need this multiecuscan software and a laptop is this correct? mine is a 230 3.0jtd 2002.

Thanks Ronnie

I bought the 3 pin adaptor from ebay thinking I could just connect it to my OBD scanner but from above you need this multiecuscan software and a laptop is this correct? mine is a 230 3.0jtd 2002.

Thanks Ronnie
As a minimum your OBD scanner will require a separate 12V supply. As I understand it, the x230 OBD port has only two wires connected, which will have to be signal, and reference earth.
Multiecuscan translates Fiat specific codes, as does AlfaOBD. To quote @Ocwobio "it speaks fluent Fiat.".

Iam not aware of any 3.0jtd engine. 2.8jtd was the largest capacity on pre x250 models.

As a minimum your OBD scanner will require a separate 12V supply. As I understand it, the x230 OBD port has only two wires connected, which will have to be signal, and reference earth.
Multiecuscan translates Fiat specific codes, as does AlfaOBD. To quote @Ocwobio "it speaks fluent Fiat.".

Iam not aware of any 3.0jtd engine. 2.8jtd was the largest capacity on pre x250 models.
My icarsoft scanner is powered by the OBD2 port so I guess it will be no good, in that case it would need to be a laptop with the above linked kit

Thanks Ronnie
As previously stated As much as we all like to save a couple of bob in this case i think the one stop shop of Gendan could save a lot of grief. The adaptor i got from Gendan was of a much better quality than ebay sourced. This assumes Gendan can supply into germany. Ps i have no connection other than as a satisfied customer.
yes you need a laptop and the software and appropriate adaptors.

In OP you state 2.8 but not jtd on this point i would be listenning to @Communicator

Back