Technical FIAT 500 twin-air judder

Currently reading:
Technical FIAT 500 twin-air judder

pan127

So at about 70k miles my 2015 Twin Air S started to produce an intermittent judder. Generally this would occur under load in high gears, most noticeably between 3-4000 rpm. Gradually it has got worse, to the point the dash appeared to shake a little, so I have so far tried the following in that order:

* Injection cleaner
*Different fuel
* Changed plugs
* Changed coils
All no effect , but otherwise it runs perfectly with good mpg and performance, perfect results on MOT gas tester. It's been a great car.

* Next changed offside engine mount ( a real pita) which turned out not to be broken, but sloppy compared to the new one. Result..Hmmmm.. some change - judder a little less extreme at max load... but while less, is now felt more widely through rev range and more noticeable through steering wheel.

Before next step I change the nearside engine mount as well ( even though that one shows no obvious signs of wear) has anyone else come across this issue and found a solution?

Thank you for your helpful response . I can be clear its not a wheel imbalance problem.

If it was clutch related I would have normally expected to feel it through pedal or on engagement. However I now see via the forum that there are issues with the DMF bearings on some TAs. How to get this properly diagnosed or find a suitable workshop to fix it is more challenging.

They changed late 2014 I think with the Euro change.

We had 2 - 2013 no dmf and 2014 with dmf. 2014 was noticeably less 'free revving' and had more vibration. Both had around 40k miles.

My vote is failing dmf therefore. 2015 will definitely have one.

Good luck with sorting it, they are great cars 👍

Thanks for more feedback.

Definitely not a misfire, engine revs very clean with no hesitations.

Clutch take up also completely smooth with none of the noises or clunks reported for most DMF problems....but they are a curse ( I've had to have two replaced on my VW). Mines a 64 plate and I think manufactured Dec2014 , but am I right in thinking all 105bhp S models have DMF?

If other engine mount makes no difference I'll go for new clutch. Any recommendations for independent garages to undertake this ( preferably London or East of England) ?

Back