Technical Engine won’t stay running.

Currently reading:
Technical Engine won’t stay running.

Set the toe-in to ZERO with a fair bit of weight in the front of the car (sand-bags, cement-bags, flags etc) so that when adjusting the toe-in, the car is basically in the same condition as when being driven. The most important fact to remember is that the track rods MUST end up the SAME length as each other. I have seen 'experts' just adjust a single side to get the toe-in correct---very ignorant! If the track-rods are of differeing lengths, there is a good chance that the "Ackerman effect" will be effected, leading to tyre squeal when cornering, squirly steering and differing steering-lock side to side.
Thanks again Hobbler. Talking of track rods can you recall which one is which - I remember they were of different lengths when I put them on a year or so ago. I think I got it right but I need to check.

Excellent news that you've solved (🤞🏻) the problem and been able to get out and about for a drive 🙂

The bubbles in the fuel line, I suspect, will mean there's a small leak in the fuel line somewhere. Remember the line from the tank to the pump is under suction, so will draw air in through any time gap it can find. As long as the pump is supplying enough fuel to the carb any air that is delivered wit the fuel will just bleed off through the vent in the float bowl of the carb and will cause no issues. I can't remember who it was, but another poster on here also chased air bubbles I the fuel lines as a potential cause of running issues and ultimately found it was a red herring.

Regarding the alignment, as mentioned above, toe of 0 would be a good place to start. Also check the rear toe, the bracket that holds the front arm of the rear wishbones has slotted holes and sliding it back and forth will give you some adjustment.

Also remember a 1960's lightweight rear engined micro car is never going to feel stable at speed like a modern!
Thanks Goldnrust. Yes - I agree - the air in the fuel line was probably a red herring. And I am super sure about the effectiveness of the joints between the tank and the carb!
And thanks for the advice re the rear toe in. Both front and back sound like a fiddly up and down job!
And you are course right about the 1960s micro car characteristics. Although I don’t recall it feeling like this in 1975 which was 5he last time I was in one of these…… but 4 up on the way to sixth form meant much ballast!

Thanks Goldnrust. Yes - I agree - the air in the fuel line was probably a red herring. And I am super sure about the effectiveness of the joints between the tank and the carb!
And thanks for the advice re the rear toe in. Both front and back sound like a fiddly up and down job!
And you are course right about the 1960s micro car characteristics. Although I don’t recall it feeling like this in 1975 which was 5he last time I was in one of these…… but 4 up on the way to sixth form meant much ballast!
To the best of my knowledge, the actual "track-rods" are the same length, it it the ends (with the ball-joint) that are different, and apologies, I can't remember which way round they go.

To the best of my knowledge, the actual "track-rods" are the same length, it it the ends (with the ball-joint) that are different, and apologies, I can't remember which way round they go.
Thanks again Hobbler.

Can’t comment on driving in 1975, would be a decade before I was even a twinkle in my parents eyes! Haha

But yes, even a couple of years out of driving a classic and it takes a few drives to get back into the swing of how it feels. 🙂

Can’t comment on driving in 1975, would be a decade before I was even a twinkle in my parents eyes! Haha

But yes, even a couple of years out of driving a classic and it takes a few drives to get back into the swing of how it feels. 🙂
Goldnrust- are you sure you are old enough to be on this forum?🤣🤣🤣🤣
Yes - have one or two other old cars and it does take a little while when the season comes around.

Back