Technical Door stay

Currently reading:
Technical Door stay

Would anyone know how The door stay works ? My door just swings open even though the spring stay is in there. I loosened off the single screw in the door plus removed the stay by squeezing it together looking at the stay it has an indent at the bottom, but it doesn't seem to locate into anything inside the door there seems to be a pair of white plastic thick washers that appear to close together when you tighten the screw in, but the spring seems to be too long as when the door is fully open it won't locate into the indent on the spring.
Are there different door stays for a 500 D Or L? Both doors are the same, neither door will stay open.

Hm... I just thought it was a catch to keep the door from hyperextending.
Hi Jump, jet you may be correct, but it's very annoying if I am working on the interior of the car i have to put a block of wood in the way to stop it closing. Also looking at the shape of the spring the indent looks as if it would wedge it open, I wonder if anyone has adapted this to work as a door stay.

If you look onto the Axel Gerstl web-site you will find in the 500 'door' section (sub-section--'others') the roller (part number:--13131) that the door retention/check-strap runs over. If you have 2 'white washers', the roller might be broken. If you look at the shape of the spring you will see that there is indent in the top part of the spring where the roller will sit when the door is open (NOT the very end of the spring). The spring is curved and fits only one way, so check which way before you remove the spring---it is a fiddly job!

All the window mechanism can stay in place. Remove the door card, remove the bolt that holds the roller in place, sqeeze the 2 parts of the spring together (this is hard bit) and remove spring from the 2 small 'holders' on the 'A' pillar. Fitment of the spring and new roller is basically just the reverse, but make sure that the roller is in the 'detent' position which will make it a lot easier to squeeze the spring together and refit in the holders. It is a fiddly, and sometimes, frustrating job!

The roller goes BETWEEN the 2 'arms' of the spring---when the door is fully open, the roller will be in the 'detent', thereby holding the door open. The easiest way to fit the 'check-strap' is to put the roller in between the arms of the spring (in the detent position) push the spring in through the front face of the door, fit the roller's pivot-bolt and THEN, with the door fully open, squeeze the 2 arms together so that they can be located into the arm-end holders on the 'A' frame. Don't forget to tighten the roller's pivot bolt.

:)Two new white rollers fitted & polished the springs, both doors are now staying open:):)when car is on the flat or even a slight uphill slope:). The only problem I encountered was when removing the old roller it dropped into a void where the door hinge goes into, tried everything to get it out as wanted to see why it wasn't working, finished up leaving it in there, although I think it was in two pieces. Well worth fitting new ones and once again Tom (The Hobbler) for such precise instructions.:):):)

Strangely, I have a bolt sitting in the very same void---still haven't worked a way to get it out either!

Strangely, I have a bolt sitting in the very same void---still haven't worked a way to get it out either!
Would anyone know how The door stay works ? My door just swings open even though the spring stay is in there. I loosened off the single screw in the door plus removed the stay by squeezing it together looking at the stay it has an indent at the bottom, but it doesn't seem to locate into anything inside the door there seems to be a pair of white plastic thick washers that appear to close together when you tighten the screw in, but the spring seems to be too long as when the door is fully open it won't locate into the indent on the spring.
Are there different door stays for a 500 D Or L? Both doors are the same, neither door will stay open.
I will be attempting to resolve my door stay springs this weekend - my rollers have arrived and I’ve read through the pieces of valuable information on here so fingers crossed 🤞

Back