Technical Doblo sound of chain thrashing !

Currently reading:
Technical Doblo sound of chain thrashing !

kezzy

Hi of wise ones,

i was driving down a hill today in my 2002 fiat Doblo 1.9jtd and I suddenly heard what sounded like a chain gently thrashing under the engine. There were trees either side so thought it might be a branch. I slowed down to 20mph and sound dropped away.

I then realised i lost all electric + hydraulic power. Tried to switch off + on but nothing. Tried rolling bump start but still nothing. Pulled in and a mate towed me home.

When i now try to turn key, all display goes off, clock goes to 00:00, solenoid clicks but nothing.

Nothing obvious under the bonet

Any ideas ?

I'm not hopeful 😔

Last edited:
Hi of wise ones,

i was driving down a hill today in my 2002 fiat Doblo 1.9jtd and I suddenly heard what sounded like a chain gently trashing under the engine. There were trees either side so thought it might be a branch. I slowed down to 20mph and sound dropped away.

I then realised i lost all electric + hydraulic power. Tried to switch off + on but nothing. Tried rolling jump start but still nothing. Pulled in and a mate towed me home.

When i now try to turn key, all display goes off, clock goes to 00:00, solenoid clicks but nothing.

Nothing obvious under the bonet

Any ideas ?

I'm not hopeful 😔
Cam belt?
With engine ignition off can you turn engine by hand ?
Though unless you flogged starter for a long time I don't know why battery flat unless seized, but presumably you would have noticed that when trying to jump/bump start.
Did you try starting when mate was towing you?

Which one is the cam belt ? Is that the rubber one on the right ? If so, that is in tact.

Only tried bump starting when it was coming down hill.

Which one is the cam belt ? Is that the rubber one on the right ? If so, that is in tact.

Only tried bump starting when it was coming down hill.
Belt is like rubber , but inside the covers so you cannot see without stripping engine a bit. The belt on the outside is driving the alternator etc.

Just had a recovery fella have a look. He said the jockey wheel (presume tensioner wheel) and fan belt are gone. It might just be that so will get them changed + monitor. So my doblo MIGHT ride again 🥳

It is the belt that is partly visible on the RHS as you look under the bonnet.

On ebay, 2 come up under doblo 1.9jtd. 6kk1055s + 6pk1815. Another site it indicates the 1055 + 1815 are the length in mm. Does anyone have any idea which one i need ?

6pk1815
there is an idler wheel and a tensioner wheel

Last edited:
Auxiliary belt missing does not explain the no start and clock reset.
Did the recovery guy try and jump start the car?

6pk1815
there is an idler wheel and a tensioner wheel
I'm seeing ebay 'kits' with several wheels.
Auxiliary belt missing does not explain the no start and clock reset.
Did the recovery guy try and jump start the car?
Yes, he attached his big battery. He observed the engine as I switched it on.

The engine turned over but did not start.

The belt that has a bit visible on the LHS is showing signs of shredding at its side. I prodded it when stationary and it appeared to be under tension. However now i think it is just so long, it still had some friction on some of the cogs that is giving resistance.

Has the auxiliary (fan) belt shredded on its side nearest the engine?

If yes strands of the belt may have worked there way under the timing cover causing the timing between the crankshaft and camshaft to be disturbed.

Just a thought but have you checked the fuel inertia switch ? It's drivers side on the right under the steering column, mine went for no apparent reason before.

Also when my aux belt tensioner failed with the tension of a new belt and tensioner upset the crank pulley a bit, caused it to slap.

Just a thought but have you checked the fuel inertia switch ? It's drivers side on the right under the steering column, mine went for no apparent reason before.

Also when my aux belt tensioner failed with the tension of a new belt and tensioner upset the crank pulley a bit, caused it to slap.
Good idea. Is that just a push button reset ? I don't think i have noticed that before.

Back