Technical Differential Bearings

Currently reading:
Technical Differential Bearings

LeeHump1

Hi,

I own a Fiat Punto 1.2 8v 2002. I have just bought the car quite cheap and I think I have now realised why........

I took the car to a garage today due to a power steering problem (different post). However, the garage stated the gearbox differential bearings were on their way out. They stated they had not caused any damage yet and no oil was leaking but there was a humming/grinding noise from the gearbox (especially when at low speed in 1st of 2nd gear). They have quoted me £600 to get the gearbox reconditioned.

However, I have found a differential bearing kit on the internet for £25 specific to the 1.2 Punto. Because of this I presume they can be changed? If so how easy/difficult is it?

The car has done 72000 miles and has just had a new clutch fitted by the previous owner.

Regards, Lee.

Can I just replace the differential bearings? Your reply seems to indicate I would need to buy a whole reconditioned unit.

Thanks for the reply. :). In the meantime is there any mileage in changing the gearbox oil for a fully synthetic spec or adding an additive to the gearbox oil. Not necessarily to make it quieter (it's not that noisy) but to assist with lubrication of the bearings on there way out to try to make them last a bit longer?

I have a local mechanic (very low tech place - a mechanic with a ramp) who has said he will replace the gear box for me (if I buy a replacement) for £60 cash. That's seems to be a bargain so now on the hunt for a good second hand gearbox.......

However, the garage stated the gearbox differential bearings were on their way out.

Just be careful to first make sure of the diagnosis before shelling out for a s/h 'box.

I once had a very similar problem (albeit on a different type of car), which both myself & two other mechanics had diagnosed as a diff bearing failure. I'd resigned myself to a weekend's work, but once I'd removed the driveshafts, the cause was obvious - a faulty wheel bearing. The symptoms can be remarkably similar and in this case there was absolutely no play whatsoever in the roadwheel.

Not saying that this is the case here, but do double check before you actually pull the gearbox.

Last edited:
I will get the diagnosis double checked before I buy a gearbox....:)

Back