Technical Should tensioner bearing be tight on spindle

Currently reading:
Technical Should tensioner bearing be tight on spindle

puntoFix

I fitted a Gates timing belt kit and water pump last week and there is a noise which sounds like crusty bearings coming from the timing belt tensioner.

I did remember the inner spindle housing was not tight inside the new bearing and I am wondering if the new bearing is faulty or if its just rotating round on the spindle, surly not!

Is Gates a good brand to use?

I asked seller for a new tensioner but they want me to return the whole lot for a new kit!

Thanks

Last edited:
Gates are good.
Did the adjuster plate (thing with the four holes) fit snugly into the new bearing?
If anything a new tensioner bearing should be stiff.
Were you getting this noise on or off the car.
If on the car are you sure it wasn't the outside of the bearing rubbing the block casting.
When it's fully let off it touches at the back side away from the belt.
We are talking about an 8v ?

Last edited:
gates are very good
are you sure you lined everything up
didnt overtighten the belt
and of course it was genuine gates?

Didn't try bearing when off the car pre-fitted, noise is when its at idle. The centre part was not snug fitting on the bearing it kept coming out when trying to fit it. I checked alignment/tightness by turning it by hand 8 full turns. Defo not touching at back on block. I'm going to order a Fiat kit and send this one back. Reading all sorts about Gates being more Chinese parts than Japanese these days.

Yep 1.2 8v, I put a INA kit on today and its so much better. I believe they supply Fiat with parts. The belt had the white timing marks at the correct positions unlike Gates and it is silent compared to the Gates kit. I got the kit for 36£ from Amazon although now it has shot up to 45£ so maybe pricing error, but I highly recommend INA!

I can not see any scratches on the Gates bearing from rubbing against anything.

Last edited:
Back