IMG_2875.JPG

Panda (Classic) Chris's 1994 Panda Colour Resto Mod

Introduction

My Slammed Classic Panda

hey, im chris from south wales been lurking on here for a while but now seeing as ive started work on the Panda i though id let you in on it ,The cars a 1994 panda 1000 fire Colour , my grandad bought it from new (my nan chose the colour) , it spend most of its life in a garage although it spent a year in my brother ownership so theres the odd dent , but apart from that , rust is minimal and its got an immaculate interior.
my aim is to do a resto mod as the americans would say, restore the whole car , Standard interior,respray, cleaned bay, lowered suspension and nice,possibly widish wheels, possibility by widening the body,maybe
atm heres how it stood up untill last week , only real issues are that its been off the road for two years ,at the time the front caliper was sticking and the rear beam center bush was knocking its balls off. apart from that its a solid , unwelded , one owner car with 66k on the clock.
Well not got much done for a while but here's where we are atm

Got myself some clear side repeaters thanks to Alixcompo

Literally just placed them in to see how they looked , hence it's all a bit on the wonk lol

I've also managed to start metal work on raising the turrets
First I made myself a little tool to be able to score a level line

Then I got cutting and mocking up new turrets

The mock up

Good old toilet waste pipe!

Getting two steel cylinders made up to weld in place and I'll also be using some tubing as bracing , it's about time I used my hydraulic pipe bender for something!

Looks like I'll get about an extra 80mm drop by doing this , which is more than I want but it should leave me being able to have the car dropped nice and low to have no arch gap and still have decent ride quality .

Comments welcome!

Re: Chris's 1994 Panda Colour Resto Mod PIC HEAVY

this build just got interesting!! lol

Thanks!

I take it the top mounts won't foul on the inside of the bonnet?

Its not really my kind of thing, but I admire the engineering and uniqueness. Make sure they are nice and strong as the forces will be stiffer and stronger through the coilover suspension.

Yeah that's why I mocked up a top mount and closed the bonnet so I know roughly how high I can go .

Yeah my thoughts exactly with regards strength , I'll be adding 2" tubing to the turrets to strengthen them , may even try and do a strut brace but not sure on clearance of the heater box and air intake

Like this , epic paint skills I know lol

Cheers!

Well need some advice on this

It's the fuel tank level sensor?
I've fitted it in , it twists and clicks in place but still seems loose ? Being as it's at the top of the tank this can't be normal? The black rubber seal is in place and every thing looks as it should , I took a video

Any ideas?

In other news , I've notched the holes the track rods run through to allow extra space as these could touch the body when the car is lowered
image3028.jpg

Also the turrets i ordered have arrived
image3026.jpg

Bit large atm so I'll be cutting them down to about 2 inches

Also started cutting off all the surplus bolts that were sticking out , I won't be needing these

image3025.jpg

image3024.jpg

Comments welcome

oh and made some new fuel tank straps , my plan is to have every bolt i can, done in stainless and i though id take it upon myself to make new fuel tank straps as the old mild steel ones where , a STATE! sourced the metal , got it cut to size,got bending and bam!,

these will be fitted with stainless bolts and washers to complete the job.

if there's enough demand i could get a few made up for members as these must be a common problem area .

next on my list is trying to find reasonably priced

Did you ever get some more made? I have two cars which would benefit from these, possibly three. :)

Last edited:
Did you ever get some more made? I have two cars which would benefit from these, possibly three. :)

Yeah I actually made a set For schtubert

Here :

https://www.fiatforum.com/panda-classic/352290-new-fuel-tank-straps.html.

Gotta pick up some more stainless soon for when I make all my exhaust heat sheilds , I'll get a few more strips cut to size if I know people want them , I can do them as just flat strips so you can diy it or I should be able to do a set like above time depending lol , I bent, drilled and even polished the set I made for Schtubert but as you can imagine it's a tad time comsuming haha

Last edited:
Little update , seeing as the cars at my new house

progress is back on track!

Noticed the heatshield I painted has started rusting , a year outside has taken its toll.

So it's stainless steel time

Stopped by the supplier and got myself a sheet to bend into shape to replace the heatshield , shouldn't be much of a job seeing as the original shield is made from one pressed sheet

Wish me luck !

Been a bit slow with progress lately as I seem to spending all panda money on the garage at the moment , put some new flooring down

Also got the panda out in than to give it a clean and go rust hunting under the seals , incredibly the roof is like new , and the doors have very minor surface rust in the typical place

Also took the wiper off ready for the holes to be welded up . Rear wipers are overrated

Then I finally got busy stripping the wheels ,

Just gotta polish them now :(:cry:

Comments welcome

its either drill the bolt holes on the wheel enough that wobble bolts work.. or.. drill and tap the hubs and brakes 90degrees from the original bolt holes..

That is unless the offset is such that pcd adaptors can be used, they are pretty chunky though - 20mm i think the thinnest i have seen are.

Rather than welding the rear wiper holes you could put blanks in them, as that's what was done on the 750L's which weren't supplied with a rear wiper.

In was thinking of doing exactly that ,but as its getting a respray I'm going to go all out.:cool:

That roof is immaculate, and those P wheels will look the biz, also I like the floor - interlocking tiles?

Yeah I was majorly surprised by the roof haha it made my day !
Yeah interlocking , made by Rolson only cost £60 in total to do the whole garage.(y)

Garage looks great Chris :)

Those are VW wheels right? Have you checked they are ok at 4x100? Just don't want you putting work in before you get to putting them on.

Yeah they bolt straight on with wobble bolts, they fit surprisingly well.:)
4x98 v 4x100 - wobble bolts maybe?

Car and garage look great. "P" for Panda not Pirelli...

its either drill the bolt holes on the wheel enough that wobble bolts work.. or.. drill and tap the hubs and brakes 90degrees from the original bolt holes..

That is unless the offset is such that pcd adaptors can be used, they are pretty chunky though - 20mm i think the thinnest i have seen are.

Yeah luckily I can get away with wobble bolts . Drilling would be a knightmare (n)

Thanks for all the comments guys , hopefully I'll have some more updates soon :slayer:

Well it's been a while since my last update .

Cars on a bit of go slow lately as I've had to finish fitting my kitchen before my daughter arrived.

And being as she's now 4 weeks old I haven't been getting sleep let alone making progress on the panda, but I've squeezed in a few things,

Got the turrets back in place and tacked.

Also picked up a set of coilover sleeves ready to get the front suspension sorted.

Also got rid of the Pirelli P-slots as the machine shop that were going to machine the centre bore to suit the panda wanted more to do it than I paid for the wheels, so they went on eBay and I picked a set of 14" MIM's that I had shipped from Hungary. Which I think work even better, gone with some 155 tyres on them to have a bit of stretch too so they fit nicely.

And finally I picked these up on eBay for the grand total of £13 to sort some rust holes on the rear quarters.

Comments welcome!

Back