20151206_145732.jpg

Panda (Classic) Charmanda(er) - mania continued......

Introduction

So having been amused at everyone guessing who have bought Char' I own up, t'was me :nerner:

Obviously having just picked up today I don't really have much to say, but I am a happy bunny. I have many plottings going on in my head as to what to do with it - you'll just have to wait and see what happens in the long term, in the short term gonna pretty much leave it and enjoy panda-life for a bit.

Anyway, everyone like pics over waffling... ;)

Got a lift from Simon in exchange for a full tank of fuel (should have half left still i think lol).
20151206_101121.jpg

Few hours and a pitstop to eat a Subway for brekkie and then.... A wild Charmander appeared :D
20151206_131704.jpg

20151206_125614.jpg

20151206_125630.jpg

Was not the best weather on the drive back but Char' ran faultlessly
12316457_10153087337516566_5347892337586702052_n.jpg

Stopped about halfway home for quick pitstop and to get a pic to share on facebook for all the people guessing what I had bought before it got too dark.
20151206_145721.jpg

20151206_145732.jpg

And finally made it home - was mildly amusing getting out the panda to move my alfa forward a touch and practically stamping a hole through the floor cause its such a light pedal compared to the panda.... I hate to think what it would be like going from panda to suzuki as that is way way way lighter pedals than even the alfa.
20151206_164534.jpg

20151206_164547.jpg

20151206_164616.jpg

All 3 fit on the drive, albeit quite close together.. But the garage is empty and Char' will live in there when not being driven - just couldn't be bothered to move all the cars around after being in the car all day.

edit: Just for info in future, links to previous owners
last owner: Didge3 - thread
owner before last: VmanC - thread
Oh ok I'll let you off then ;)
Life often gets in the way of these things anyway, the turbo on my Saab has got its wastegate jammed open, I diagnosed the problem about 3 weeks ago, been busy and not even touched it even though it should be a fairly simple fix, I don't even have nearly as many excuses as you, just been driving around boost-less instead :rolleyes:

Ok so. Not much has changed... But weddings are all finally done and dusted and I have spent some time at the weekend on Char.
That in reality means I spent an age tidying up the garage so I could even get to the panda.

Cooling system is now all buttoned up and could be filled but will leave that til end.

Started on wiring. Got the punto engine loom with the engine so shouldn't be all that hard. But in true fashion I get carried away and unwrapped the loom to take out the unnecessary wires.

20170723_152640.jpeg
That's it ready to be wrapped back up, new loom tape should hopefully arrive today. I don't have a fuel pump relay so am on hunt for one as plain refuse to spend 30 odd quid on one which seems to be the price I am finding everywhere online I can find one. So hopefully one of my mates has a spare or it'll be trip to scrappies for one. Then all that will be needed wiring wise is the fuel pump and make a battery +ve loom for starter and alternator. I could modify the panda one but the battery clamps are a bit fubar. Same goes for battery -ve side, will just buy some new leads and start fresh.

Also have new orange indicators fitted, no pic yet. Now I need to change the side repeaters to orange too. Looks so much more 90s and retro with the amber lights rather than clear though.

What else... Nothing really other than got new fuel hoses, connectors etc so I can plumb in the fuel pump.

It's getting there though. Stick harness on, figure out where to mount ecu and make mount, plumb and wire fuel pump. Then it's just a matter of filling all the fluids and it should start. Touches wood.

I know this is all painfully slow progress here, doing my best to find time..

Looms all wrapped up and mostly plugged in. Dug out a map sensor and bracket from my pile of cinq stuff, cleaned and painted and mounted off the strut tower.
20170928_141227.jpeg

All that's left on the loom is to attach the engine loom earth to the engine somewhere and there is a wire that needs connecting to a switched live. And still not sorted starter and alternator wiring. The wires that do the fuel pump, tachometer and EML are run through firewall into car and just dangling atm. Getting so close to the engine bay being finished now.

And here is a cheeky pic I took the other day after tidying garage to get to the car. Don't think I have posted a pic yet with orange indicators fitted.
20170926_173908.jpeg

So no more pics but exhaust mani had snapped stud so thats been drilled out after much effort to actually unscrew it, a temp p75 downpipe attached to it. The 75 downpipe is not gonna work as it will foul the gear selector rods, annoyingly found this out after ordering one that hadnt been chopped off at bottom but hey ho, i can maybe use part of it to lengthen the panda downpipe with the section that holds the lambda so its long enough to get under the sump as the 1242 is clearly a bit taller than the 750. But I have stuck it on just to check the lambda wires reach the plugs on the engine loom which they do.

Spent a while messing with starter and alternator wires, think its all on right but the battery was flat so i couldn't test that the key would actually make the starter turn - battery is on charge although i suspect i am gonna need a new bigger battery but hopefully this battery will last long enough for test purposes. This is probably no bad thing as there is no oil in the engine at all, not that i was gonna hold it turning over or anything lol.

Erm what else.... I plumbed engine bay side of the fuelling, ie. cut the old rubber pipes off the rigid lines that run to the back and put some new actual injection rated hose on them and run them to the fuel rail. I have connected up the ECU which will be tucked behind the sound deadening near the battery, have stuck the battery back in to check it fits ok and that bonnet shuts without the hinge fouling ecu, which did require a litte adjustment from where i initially had it but it fits (y)

So assuming all my wiring is right all it needs now to actually fire up is the fluids filling up (need to order gearbox oil) a battery, some ht leads (i know i bought some new ones but cannot find atm, i'm not ready to buy another set without more looking first though lol) & the fuel pump and filter mounting and plumbing (will have to pull car out and turn it round for that i think). Once it runs I just have to sort an exhaust and fix a few little things like actually bolting the seats down properly - I have put the drivers seat in and the bolts finger tight and really liking the coupe seats, very comfy and sit quite a bit lower than the seicento seats it had before them.

Its Oh So Close!

Last edited:
OK question for those that have done a 1.2 8v swap.. What have you done exhaust wise with regards to downpipe..?

Mine being a P75 the manifold has the twin downpipe, same as the 750 had. I've not tried to fit the old 750 manifold yet but i'm pretty sure it'll be too short so to use that i would need to extend it and add a lambda bung obvs.

I have a P75 factory downpipe here which clearly bolts up fine and goes under engine perfectly and has a lambda bung etc. This without modification fouls the gear selector rods.

So is there a downpipe that fits without modification? Think at moment making the original panda one longer and adding a lambda bung is best option as it appears to be pretty new and in good condition and would then line up perfectly with a stock exhaust routing underneath. Just thinking perhaps there is a later panda downpipe that might just work, but i have no idea if the later ones had the twin downpipe style ones - from centoland i suspect even a panda 1000 one will be too short even if it has twin downpipes but i figure some of you guys will just know the answer to this without me faffing about buying downpipes to see lol.

edit: I guess I could change the manifold to single downpipe too if there is a downpipe that just fits...?

Last edited:
Chris, you will either need to extend the original Panda down pipe or make a custom one, there is nothing off the shelf from another Panda that will fit as they never had the taller 1242 block.

The easiest way to extend the original is to fit a spacer between it and the manifold. It will need to be 20mm I believe. If you have a couple of old down pipes you can cut the flanges off and stack them together, otherwise you need to make a spacer. I may be able to help you with that if needed.

yeah i had a chat with dragonman about it yday, i do have 2 and half downpipes here lol.. The pandas one (obvs. it dont have lambda bung in as is and too short), a complete P75 one and a P75 one thats cut just after the 2 pipes merge.
I just need to compare pipe width of the P75 ones to the original 750 one, hoping they are same and i can cut the P75 one below the lambda and get the bottom of the 750 one welded to it. As i have a brand new P75 downpipe and the pandas downpipe looks pretty new.. Failing that use the P75 mani flanges to extend the panda one and steal a lambda bung off the new one.. I may have found a reason to come visit you pandamonius_maximus lol

Last edited:
Hi Blu!

I just ordered a Cinq Sporting speedo hoping to make it work in my Panda and someone told me you had plans on fitting one to yours as well. Have you looked at the wiring yet? Just wondering what needs to be done to make it all work. :)

not yet no, its sat on shelf in garage waiting. my plan was to just sit down the the clocks and a battery, go through pins and note down what pin does what on both set of clocks and then splice the plugs onto the panda wires.

The hardest part as i see it will be making it fit and look like its meant to be there and not just shoved in the hole.

Ok so this is due an update, some of you know I have been messing from Facebook already but I'll try remember what I've been upto.

So I found a battery I bought about 4 years ago and never used. Seems fine and is actually for a 1.2 fire engined car so that's battery sorted.

Checked coolant hoses are all nipped up and filled that. Put some engine oil in. Filled gearbox with oil too.

I had previously said I had plumbed engine bay fuel lines but since then decided to pull it all out again and all the lines right back to the tank. I've replaced the rubber pipes off the sender unit, they now go into new ridgid nylon lines, now it has 8mm ID for both feed and return and I used a red line for the feed and black for return just to make it all super obvious and easy to follow in future. This all happened after spending a few hours on my back under the car trying to find a good place to mount the inline fuel pump and bracket I have without running unnecessarily long lines. In end I decided to try it in engine bay and gonna hope it doesn't struggle to suck that far, time will tell on that one. To finish off the fuel lines I need some more hose clamps etc which I'm waiting on delivery of.

So while waiting for that stuff I've been messing with the left over wiring.
I have routed the power to the pump through harness to where it needs to be and attached connector for it.
For now I have just connected pump -ve straight to ground, once this is working I will most likely run that through an inertia switch cause safety first.
There is a wire that feeds a switched live to the fuel pump relay that needed connecting somewhere, this has been connected to the feed for the old fuel cut out switch, suggestion from Freddy, thank you Freddy (on my car a white/red wire very conveniently located near where I had the wire on the engine side, orange for anyone interested).
Only other thing it needed (I think) was a permanent live to a wire on the engine harness which I've just run straight from the battery.

I'll see if I have any pics to post in a bit but think that's everything I've been upto of late.

Ok so I found a few pics and stuff. Mostly uninteresting really.

20180127_191710.jpeg
Filling the gearbox.

20180128_153600.jpeg
Out the garage for first time in a while, just turning him round.

20180128_155429.jpeg
Back in, bum up.

20180203_131005.jpeg
New fuel lines and sundries.

received_10155878040326125.jpeg
Pulling old lines out and feeding in new ones.

received_10155886009721125.jpeg
Mid figuring out where stuff and lines will go.

That's all I got I'm afraid.

Back