Technical Oil leaks

Currently reading:
Technical Oil leaks

Thank you for advice!
Of course I wouldn't let a faulty water pump like that or run the car with it.
Now the pump is not the problem. though. Mine does sit as you said, behind the timing belt cover and yesterday I took both covers off (upper and lower) looking for the leak and there is no leak on that side.
Now I took the heat shield off and I can see the exact location of the problem an it is the o-ring (or seal, whatever that is) on that pipe that feeds the water pump. I hope that the oring is faulty albeit 3 years old. Hope there is not any damage to the engine block there, as that is a part of engine block where pipe goes in on this side and water pump sits on the other side.
I could find it to buy the oring alone, I shall have it by friday.

Attachments

• 20240814_095350.jpg
    20240814_095350.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 50
  • 20240814_095434.jpg
    20240814_095434.jpg
    854 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Fixed it.
Although by the time the new seal came in there was no more leak trails, I replaced it anyway. The new seal looks the same like the original, with a metal layer inside. It's Elring 685.350.
There were proof of not sealing on the old sealer. I identified two problems. One was the seal itself, being just rubber and the other one was the pipe. I don't understand why they've coated it with paint, the pipe looks to be aluminum which is very good. I would love it if it would have been naked, no paint on. Because on those high temperatures the paint doesn't stay on, it pops and peels off. Same happens with the paint inside the pipe, there was some peeled paint in the coolant. The seal should stick to the pipe, but due to that paint, it failed. So I cleared that paint on the seal area, using a cutter.
Now it's all good. Here's a pic with the new seal, two hours after I turned off the engine.
@bugsymike, thanks again!

Attachments

• 20240817_110335.jpg
    20240817_110335.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • Garnitura 685350.jpg
    Garnitura 685350.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240817_115803.jpg
    20240817_115803.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
  • 20240817_200314.jpg
    20240817_200314.jpg
    941 KB · Views: 9
Fixed it.
Although by the time the new seal came in there was no more leak trails, I replaced it anyway. The new seal looks the same like the original, with a metal layer inside. It's Elring 685.350.
There were proof of not sealing on the old sealer. I identified two problems. One was the seal itself, being just rubber and the other one was the pipe. I don't understand why they've coated it with paint, the pipe looks to be aluminum which is very good. I would love it if it would have been naked, no paint on. Because on those high temperatures the paint doesn't stay on, it pops and peels off. Same happens with the paint inside the pipe, there was some peeled paint in the coolant. The seal should stick to the pipe, but due to that paint, it failed. So I cleared that paint on the seal area, using a cutter.
Now it's all good. Here's a pic with the new seal, two hours after I turned off the engine.
@bugsymike, thanks again!
All looks good, I trust your are 100% happy no leak at water pump, just that pipe seal.:)

Back