Panda (Classic) Need advice please

Currently reading:
Panda (Classic) Need advice please

Riasmply

Hi all,
I have a 1991 Panda Classic 4x4 - and have a problem.....
My lights have stopped working, when we removed the switch, it had completely blown up!!
I do have a spare switch - but can anyone advise me how I could get the connector block (which is also looking pretty burned). Also, none of the fuses blew out - which is a little worrying, any idea why this would have happened?

Attachments

• IMG_0798.JPG
    IMG_0798.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 48
Condensation on the terminals or up rated bulbs can cause that.

If you have standard bulbs then you can use three normal female spade connectors and make sure they are insulated well from each other.

If you're using aftermarket bulbs replace the switch as above but you'll need relays and individual fuses loomed into the light circuit.

looking at that, it looks like it was getting really hot.. i think it was caused by a faulty switch. the small connectors in the switch only just touching causing a hot spot which got worse over time.

i think this was more so caused by the "side light" connector position as normally the dipped beams are relay controlled. (as you click the switch from side light to main/dipped beam you should hear a relay click in the fuse box)
the side lights in a panda require quite a bit of power surprisingly.
you have 2x tail light bulbs at 5 watts, 2x 7 watt number plate light bulbs, 2x side light bulbs in the headlamps at 4 watts each, 6x 1.2 watt dash board illumination lights plus the green "lights on" indication warning lamp.....
but then you have the dim dip. now that is the 2x main 40/45 watt bulbs (or 55/60 if you upgraded them to halogen) lighting up through a resistor.
when i tested it with halogen upgrades they both drew 55.18 Watts! (or 5.45 amps at 12.4 volts)

so that plus other lighting equals a grand total of 94.38 Watts (or 7.61 Amps at 12.4 volts) going through a switch with nothing but what looks like conductive paint as its "switch"

hence why i myself have disconnected the dim dip resistor (just unplug the red wire from it) as it is a system that we do not need to use in the UK and just wastes power.

so what i would do is:
pull out the broken off spade connector from the plug using pliers.
if the plug connectors still looks ok then reuse it. the plastic is only there to hold the spade connectors in place.
if it is completely no good then just cut off the old connectors and use crimped insulated spade connectors as replacements. (just remember which way the wires plugged into the switch)
unplug the dim dip resistor located just next to the battery on the suspension strut top mount.
and replace the switch.

i would leave the switch hanging out of the dash for now and while you are using the car keep feeling it every now and then to see if it is getting warm.

you can if you want to make it so the switch just controls a relay behind the dash. this would make the switch last a long time.

sticking a relay system on the main headlights works very well, but with them already being relayed its not really necessary... however. it bypasses the cars original wiring and running your own thicker wires to the 2 front headlamps (which can be later used as a power cable for additional spot lamps ) really help stop voltage drop to the bulbs.. which means they will be yet even more brighter!
then get a relay and use the original wires as signal wires to turn the relays on and off. you need 2 relays for each side (dipped beam and full beam) so 4 in total.

for the main power cable i did use some 200 amp rated cable. over the top you might say, but my car does have 690 watts of light output from the front.. excluding the LED side lights (810 if i were to have main and dipped beam on together!)
(2x 60 watts from the headlamps, 6x 55 watt spot lamps, and 1x 240 watt LED light bar )

hope this has been of help!

Last edited:
i think this was more so caused by the "side light"

2x side light bulbs in the headlamps at 4 watts each, .....

but then you have the dim dip. now that is the 2x main 40/45 watt bulbs lighting up through a resistor.

hope this has been of help!

Great summary John, but I want to point out some confusion.

The dim dip lights are not side lights ( or position lamps).

Side (UK) / position (US) / parking(Germany) lights in Panda are switched on when you press the A button next to ignition barrel and turn the key backwards, by doing that you can remove the key, lock the car and safely leave the car on the verge/SIDE of the road with POSITION light illuminated to inform other road user of presence of an obstacles.

Dim dip headlamps were introduced solely in UK, regulations briefly required vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1987 to be equipped with a dim-dip light or Running lamps (ECE Reg 48) not to confused with modern Day time Runing Lamps DRL as described in ECE Reg87.

Main reason for Dim-dip introduction was to stop drivers driving their cars (in UK weather) with position/side lights only. This was briliant idea as we all can see avery day how dangerous that can be in misty, fogy or rainy.

i have always called the first click on the light switch the side lights..

i call the ones where you take the key out and lock the car parking lights... even though on a panda they are pretty much the same lights!

i like the look of the dim dip.. but i dont like how much power it uses so i have it unplugged.. the bonus is that it helps make the switch live longer.

i am toying with the idea of making all the lighting relay controlled. well all but the break lights.

i do find it a little strange how the switches are not built that little bit more better.

i do find it a little strange how the switches are not built that little bit more better.

I had a Jeep Cherokee (XJ) for a while a couple of years ago, believe me that made the Panda look like a Merc in terms of build quality. I had to entirely replace the headlight wiring and fit relays because as standard it doesn't have any and they're about as bright as a discarded tab end. Hateful car that was, sold on eBay to some scallies who rolled it into a field.

Back