General Is a panda diesel going to be good enough in town?

Currently reading:
General Is a panda diesel going to be good enough in town?

every tank is 220 and 250 if I had a couple of motorway miles in there.....its disgusting and im now considering a 100hpo as its similar

Epic! I drove 485.3 miles on this tank!!!

An average of 67.2 mpg!!!

Still don't know what's going on but I like it.

diesel it is.......

Someone asked me a similar question the other day. The headline quote is that if the petrol averages 35mpg and the diesel 55mpg then on current price disparity, you'd save around £50-£60 per 1000 miles.

If you're spending more to buy/tax/insure/service the diesel, then obviously you'd offset that against the fuel savings.

My advice at the time was, it's almost always more cost effective to keep the small car you have.

Someone asked me a similar question the other day. The headline quote is that if the petrol averages 35mpg and the diesel 55mpg then on current price disparity, you'd save around £50-£60 per 1000 miles.

A fair bit of that difference reflects the fact that diesel cars are typically used for longer journeys than petrol cars. On identical journeys, the difference between petrol & diesel will be much less.

Driven carefully, the 1.2 petrol Panda can average 55mpg. Mine has beaten that, averaged over 50,000 miles :).

In summer, it will do better still. According to fuelly, the average of my last 10 tankfuls is 58.3 mpg.

Click on my sig below to see the details. Both these are petrol cars.

Last edited:
It won't cost more to buy a diesel, it's 1 insurance group higher so minimal and mine is worth about £1300, a good diesel is about that.....

It's hard as I'm also considering an 100hp, mad I know but I'm thinking if I'm getting 220 from a tank now I could have a car that gives me pleasure for that, or I could just go for a diesel and get 50mpg......

90% is city driving

It won't cost more to buy a diesel, it's 1 insurance group higher so minimal and mine is worth about £1300, a good diesel is about that.....

It's hard as I'm also considering an 100hp, mad I know but I'm thinking if I'm getting 220 from a tank now I could have a car that gives me pleasure for that, or I could just go for a diesel and get 50mpg......

90% is city driving

It's hard to know what the 100hp would give you, or even a diesel bearing in mind you're getting 32mpg from the 1.2. Your commute may be causing the problem.

Our 100hp averages 36mpg mixed driving, which is about the same as our 1.1 seicento with far less power and less weight.

I find the 100hp flexible (i.e. it lugs along in high gear) as well as fun but for commuting mainly, I'd not want to be on roads with too many roadbumps.

90% is city driving

We've just gone from a 1.2 to a 100hp, I was expecting a much worse MPG but to my surprise it's been no different, if anything the 100hp is slightly better maybe due to the gearing. Most of my commute is non traffic twisty A-roads where the fun factor has been explored a couple of times too! I'm only on my 2nd tank, but its looking like 300+ at the mo.

Back