Technical Fiat panda Larger discs and Rear brake disc

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat panda Larger discs and Rear brake disc

In my country, someone said that he changed the panda's rear brakes to disc.
He fitted air-cooled discs to both front and rear brakes.

Fiat Linea's brake center is directly compatible.
He also said he hasn't made any changes to the center.
Likewise, if I want to replace the front wheels with cooled and larger discs, he said that Fiat Lineas are compatible with 14" rims.

He said that Panda 100hp models also have this combination. I don't know its accuracy.

Just wanted to share. I love this.

Attachments

• 1719919969881.jpg
    1719919969881.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 1719919969886.jpg
    1719919969886.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 38
On the 1.2 on the road I find the standard brakes more than adequate
That.

Upgrading the brakes on a 1.2 is pointless. However, keeping the standard brakes in good order is well worth doing, as they're prone to sticking (especially in damp climates like the UK - you may have an easier time of it in Turkey!)

You'd do better spending the time and money in making sure that all the moving and sliding parts move freely and are lubricated.

And fit decent road pads - hard pads will actually make the braking worse in everyday driving, since they don't work well when they're cold.

He said that Panda 100hp models also have this combination. I don't know its accuracy.
100hp and 4x4 169s had ventilated front & solid rear discs.

100hp axle is a bit different (4x4 very different) to drum brake axle.

I used to think rear discs were a good thing. Now I'd rather have rear drums on a light car. Perfectly adequate and largely maintenance free. Rear calipers regularly seize on my other car. Probably because they have so little to do. Main benefit is cosmetic I think.

I used to think rear discs were a good thing. Now I'd rather have rear drums on a light car. Perfectly adequate and largely maintenance free. Rear calipers regularly seize on my other car. Probably because they have so little to do. Main benefit is cosmetic I think.
Seeing rear disks on a small car tells me that the marketing department has had more influence on its design than the engineering department.

My 100HP has had two new rear brake callipers and new discs because they hardly get used. They are also heavy so they negatively affect handling. Drums do the job just fine. Solid discs are perfect for 60HP “ordinary” Panda. Ventilated discs as used on 100HP need 15 inch wheels but the smaller version from diesel will fit the smaller wheels. I’m not convinced the extra weight offers any benefit.

Having changed rear discs a couple of times in recent years now on mostly Peugeot / Citroen cars I agree that rear discs aren't worth the hassle unless they're needed. I think Fiat made the right choice in only bothering with them on the 100hp / 4x4 - heavier and more demand in use so justified.

I used to think the drum was old, outdated and not as cool looking (and the marketers know this is how a lot of people feel). But I did the brakes on my mums Mazda 2 last week, front discs. Not much hassle. Went to check the rears.. was reminded of good old rear drums. No need to worry about them, no dust to clean off every week. Until such times as the handbrake sticks (probably closer to 15 years old before that happens), a long way to go for the 2019 car yet. There's a beauty in that which I appreciate now! haha

The rears on most of the cars I've changed them on did very little anyway, and the lack of utilisation only helped them seize up more and become a PITA when replacing. The Mazda 6 estate 2.2d is about the only car I've seen in our family / garage that seemed to have extensively used them comparably with the fronts, the Avensis also wore them down a bit more noticeably but much more weight, perhaps this is only where it starts to really be needed to have discs at the rear

Having had to contend with the Rear discs on my much heavier and much more power Punto Evo, On little cars like fiat's the rear discs can be more of a burden.

The look way better than drums, more mechanical and that they are actually doing something unlike drums where you don't see anything.

I note the OP is in Turkey so maybe the weather there is a bit better for the longevity of these parts,

On my Evo I was always fighting rust, pitting and bits seizing up as a result of very little use and very little heat so they spent most of their time damp and wet, rusting and not being used nearly enough....

Still... looked better though.

The 258 mm vented discs from the 100HP can be used with 14" wheels. However I would use better pads and fluid. I had EBC pads on my 100HP and it could stop on a dime. Previous owner put Brembo pads on my Abarth and although they are 285 mm (and really need 15") they feel weak compared to my Panda. Still need to buy a set of EBC pads, but since I don't do a lot of Km's (unless on holiday) the Brembo's don't wear.
Fluid is ATE racing for me.

gr J

Many larger cars (especially SUVs which are fundamentally less stable than saloon cars) use the rear brakes individually when cornering. It’s part of the automatic stability control. Many will wear the rear brakes at least as fast as the fronts. Such systems won’t work with ordinary drums but I’m sure development will happen when the rules on brake dust kick in.

Back