Tuning Fiat Barchtta engine tuning for more power

Currently reading:
Tuning Fiat Barchtta engine tuning for more power

DimeDimovski

Fiat Barchetta is a gorgeous little car, fell in love with it as soon as I saw it parked outside a hotel in bright yellow. It being one of those roadsters from the 90s like the Miata it doesn't have much power (about 130hp). Is there anything I could do to the car for me to push power from it?

Everyone saying it's impossible to do anything on that Hitachi.... Is that difficult and impossible for all of you to install a piggyback ecu? It's tricky but not expensive. Don't think you could be able to get 50bhp for 100 bucks because it's never gonna happen on a n/a engine....NEVER.
Nothing is impossible but gone are the days simple mods could buy improved power. By simple I mean exhaust, filter, cams.

Cams and porting used to be the main power gainer but from what I've read the cams and ports on the "B" are fairly optimal already. This then means other changes like volume, compression, etc. are required.

Most of today's vehicles are already factory tuned to get the very best compromise of power, torque, fuel consumption and emissions. Far far more so than in days gone past so improving comes at cost and complexity. Generally the manufacturers have already honed the base engine unit, induction and fueling to as good as they can get it.

If I wanted to look at making a "B" faster over a distance and "driver's roads" then handling would be my prime target. That said the "B" is already pretty good in that department and probably better than some drivers can handle. If you are after a 0-60-100 improvement that add some NOX.

Nothing is impossible but gone are the days simple mods could buy improved power. By simple I mean exhaust, filter, cams.

Cams and porting used to be the main power gainer but from what I've read the cams and ports on the "B" are fairly optimal already. This then means other changes like volume, compression, etc. are required.

Most of today's vehicles are already factory tuned to get the very best compromise of power, torque, fuel consumption and emissions. Far far more so than in days gone past so improving comes at cost and complexity. Generally the manufacturers have already honed the base engine unit, induction and fueling to as good as they can get it.

If I wanted to look at making a "B" faster over a distance and "driver's roads" then handling would be my prime target. That said the "B" is already pretty good in that department and probably better than some drivers can handle. If you are after a 0-60-100 improvement that add some NOX.
Agree with you.

A simple Kia with a 1 litre 3cyl T-GDI with 120bhp is very quick and much quicker than these old Fiats and you have to really spend some money to make it a car as quick as a modern car from nowadays.

A low pressure turbo could improve the power but I'd rather go for a supercharger using bits from other cars and a piggyback ECU and get instant power instead of a laggy turbocharger. Both cases will need to spend over 2-3k to make a good and reliable job.
I've learned in my life that going on a budget for such modifications is really not good.

Another not considered factor is reversion / stock.

Many people had their Fiat Twin Cam engines up-rated with high lift cams, custom porting etc. Yes these mods worked but often required base alterations. An example would be the Fiat twin cam camshaft carriers. These had to be skimmed / change to accommodate the new cams and to be able to get the valve clearances to be able to be correctly set with Fiat standard cam shims. Often these modifications were "company state secrets" so bearing in mind older parts supply, original company existence, etc. a once modified engine block and head presents later "get it back on the road again" after a more serious problem.

People who run race teams with sponsorship do not care a monkey's about these sorts of factors as they race a car/engine for a season or two and move on to another race car project. They have the finances to build an expected season's required parts stock and a little scope to extend budget if they run into trouble. Us mortals have no such luxury so one has to take into account "if **** happens" which will often occur when modifying anything from it's well tested, proven and original factory design.

All food for thought especially as cars get older and original parts supplies dwindle.

Back