Technical Earth points

Currently reading:
Technical Earth points

Hi
I have a 2000 1.9 JTD ELX, I have owned it from new. I was replacing the battery for the first time in 10 years and gave the connections a good clean and vaseline. I think it would also be a good idea to clean-up some earth points while I am at it. Has anyone any photos or even a description of where the main ones are in a and around the engine bay?. Have done a search but not getting any info from them.

Thanks Wee Jim

True but from memory i think one bolts to the body just below the batt tray and another in the same rough area goes to the top of the gearbox (i think)

Following this old thread as I have a huge problem with various dash faults , including intermittant fuel level inidicator , consistantly high engine temp signal , improper graphic displays, main beam creating other problems and whenver random switching of ancillary components like washers and wipers.

By connecting a temporay wire from the battery to the internal engine bay bulkhead , everything looks like resolves itself , so if I can find the earth associated with th the dash/instrument panel equipment.
It looks like an investigation to one of the earths under the battery tray might be a good place to start.
Has anyone else have any suggestions other than this place please.

ys

Following this old thread as I have a huge problem with various dash faults , including intermittant fuel level inidicator , consistantly high engine temp signal , improper graphic displays, main beam creating other problems and whenver random switching of ancillary components like washers and wipers.

By connecting a temporay wire from the battery to the internal engine bay bulkhead , everything looks like resolves itself , so if I can find the earth associated with th the dash/instrument panel equipment.
It looks like an investigation to one of the earths under the battery tray might be a good place to start.
Has anyone else have any suggestions other than this place please.

I think you have proved that the fault is the battery negative to body connection or wire

Thats great if true . ,I have been involved with FIATS and Alfas all my life , but when the owner who is quite an ethusiastic one puts his Multipla to a garage recently because it wouldnt start , you would have thought that , that earth point would have been checked , especially when they got the car going again .
So you can see why I have been scratching my head!

However , is the earth point below the battery tray the main and only one ?

Will check it out tomorrow , Thank you!

The one under the battery is the main one to the body. There are loads of other ones for different circuits to return to the battery negative via the main one.

If main ground proves too difficult to access, Maybe use a generic ground strap and make your temporary fix permanent .
Best wishes
Jack

If main ground proves too difficult to access, Maybe use a generic ground strap and make your temporary fix permanent .
Best wishes
Jack
I am used to taking battery trays out , and I believe the other Multipla I have helped my mate with has had this , and as I write I replaced the engine in that model as well , so hopefully that will all come back.. Will let you know .

U[date !
Removed battery tray etc. andcleaned all the earths on the chassis leg and smeared with vasiline.
All good after rebuid including instrument panel indications like fuel gauge temp gauge and mileage graphics.

However the rear indicator lights must have a bad earth as the tail lights , while on blink. So I have removed the lens on the rear left and checked everything there . The car has a trailer plug wired in so I will have to strip this down now. I then turned the car around for access tomorrow and noted the fuel gauge showing empty again!!!
One step forward two back!

Back