Technical 4x4 Not starting-? dead battery

Currently reading:
Technical 4x4 Not starting-? dead battery

Stevethedoc

Our 2023 4x4 has stood on the drive most of the winter, I ran it now and then to keep battery topped up. Went to move it yesterday and didn't start.

So charged the battery, which says 100% 13.1v on my Ring charger. Trouble is car still won't start.

It sounds as if its tying to start, with what must be the starter motor sound but it just doesn't fire up at all.

On our last Panda when the battery died it just made no sound at all, this does sound as if its trying.

Is this a dead battery, maybe not putting out enough current? Or does something need to be reset after charging the battery?

Stood on the drive all winter.... there I suspect is your answer. Uni air drained dry. I have read on here someone left teh car a long time during lockdown. Charge the battery and then keep cranking. It worked for him. Eventually oil reached teh Uni air unit and the valves started to work after a while of odd running it came back to life. Hope this is all it is. You can remove the engine cover and the uni iar filter and I would probably try this if you can locate this you may be able to put a few drops of oil down the hole which might help prime it, but I am only guessing about this.

The battery may also just have died. Modern batteries are tempremental. You should get c. 13.3 volts as a reading after charging. Consult the handbook re the charging procedure! Less than 12.5 and the battery is not going to be v ery fit for work.

Fully charged battery today, was 13.1 at rest. Put a multimeter on it. Dropped to 11 volts on first attempt at starting. Second time try dropped to 8v.
I'm guessing its the battery?
I only ran it about 2 weeks ago for 20 mins or so and started first time then. I suppose batteries must faily quickly

Stop/start batteries fail suddenly and with no warning. Cars with stop/start need to be used, frequently. The intelligent alternator will not charge the battery just idling on the driveway - it only functions on a journey out on the roads and needs a good few miles a week to keep things sweet. True of all modern cars: they need to be driven. Low weekly mileages (say less than 100 miles) or lack of use is not at all good for any car with a modern battery and will lead to it failing sooner. (Sorry...)

Called dealer today who wisely asked me to take it in to be checked, obviously they missed the point of it not starting at all!
They then told me to call rescue, if they take it to the dealer they can't look at it for another 7 days. Won't allow me to drop battery off for testing as that would void warranty on car....
Top Fiat dealer service.
Think I'll just buy a battery.

Called dealer today who wisely asked me to take it in to be checked, obviously they missed the point of it not starting at all!
They then told me to call rescue, if they take it to the dealer they can't look at it for another 7 days. Won't allow me to drop battery off for testing as that would void warranty on car....
Top Fiat dealer service.
TAYNA, 😉
Should arrive on Thursday ready to go 😊

Top Fiat dealer service.
Yes, just buy a battery.
Do check but I think this is the right one (60Ah, stop/start, EFB). You’ll see that info on the label on the battery top. Best prices and next day delivery. Easy to fit (remember, disconnect -tive first and reconnect +tive first). And then, use the car. Frequently.

Fully charged battery today, was 13.1 at rest. Put a multimeter on it. Dropped to 11 volts on first attempt at starting. Second time try dropped to 8v.
I'm guessing its the battery?
I only ran it about 2 weeks ago for 20 mins or so and started first time then. I suppose batteries must faily quickly
That battery is dead. Battery failure used to be more gradual. Now it seems its pretty will instant from good to dead. I had two fail in a week about a year ago.

Just a thought, is there any advantage in buying the OEM Mopar battery (which don't seem that good) or is the Exide one from Tayna a better bet.

That battery is dead. Battery failure used to be more gradual. Now it seems its pretty will instant from good to dead. I had two fail in a week about a year ago.

Aye I had a faulty B&M module and flashing battery problem, it killed an almost brand new battery in a matter of weeks, fortunately the supplier replaced the battery under warranty thankfully.

Basically a battery is a battery. Therer are good quality and poor quality as with everything. The original batteries are mostly Exidea well known make with a good backup, but Taynar are recommended on here by quite a few for overall value. I tend to use Halfords which are Yuasa. These are Japanese and I have had generally good service from them they were and may still be original equipment on Honda's. You can get money off if you sign up to Halfords motoring club which made the price good for me. I would avoid unknown brnads and super cheap batteries. Get one with at least 3 year warranty preferably a 4 or 5 year guarantee from a known make and you should get one that lasts. Factor min delivery costs too!

Our 2023 4x4 has stood on the drive most of the winter, I ran it now and then to keep battery topped up. Went to move it yesterday and didn't start.

So charged the battery, which says 100% 13.1v on my Ring charger. Trouble is car still won't start.

It sounds as if its tying to start, with what must be the starter motor sound but it just doesn't fire up at all.

On our last Panda when the battery died it just made no sound at all, this does sound as if its trying.

Is this a dead battery, maybe not putting out enough current? Or does something need to be reset after charging the battery?
Think about buying a more suitable charger, one with automatic multimode. I would expect the battery to charge to around or over 14v. Older or chargers for conventional lead acid don't keep going as they don't have the head voltage. So when they cannot push more current they mistake this for fully charged. Yes it will drop in use, so don't expect it in vehicle to get that high.

Quick Update and another question.
Called out Fiat Rescue (RAC), wouldn't start with their jumper he thought it was flooded, took out plugs cleaned and turned over without injectors on (fuse out). Then it started fine.
I've just taken it for a run, seemed to be really lacking in power in second and third gear but did improve a bit. Is this part of the car ECU remapping things after the flat battery?
Thanks again.

Quick Update and another question.
Called out Fiat Rescue (RAC), wouldn't start with their jumper he thought it was flooded, took out plugs cleaned and turned over without injectors on (fuse out). Then it started fine.
I've just taken it for a run, seemed to be really lacking in power in second and third gear but did improve a bit. Is this part of the car ECU remapping things after the flat battery?
Thanks again.

Potentially a combination..
4 month old fuel "losing the light side", a bit of damp.. Etc

Back