Technical 2004 punto 16v sport help

Currently reading:
Technical 2004 punto 16v sport help

HonestEnthusiast

Hey guys, Im trying to get my grandfather's old fiat to start and run, it would really make his day!

The issue is the engine cranks but refuses to start, I originally presumed that it was a petrol issue in that it had gone stale and or bad after four years of sitting there. I siphoned the petrol and to my surprise it had turned orange. No worries, I added new petrol to the system and tried again - still turning with no start.
I added some starter fluid into the air intake and to my surprise car fires up and runs with the fluid only, before dying.

When turning the ignition on, I hear the fuel pump run before turning off which I believe to be a good sign. However the one puzzling thing about it is the ECU makes a very funny noise when the ignition is on, I presumed it was bad earth so resat and tightened it but still to my dismay it makes the noise - I attach video below.

Neighbour thinks its fuel pump and uncle thinks the fuel injectors have gummed up with the old fuel.

Thanks for reading and would love to hear some insights from others :)

Model
Sporting 16v
Year
Mileage

Attachments

• IMG_0670.MOV
    77.3 MB
Hey guys, Im trying to get my grandfather's old fiat to start and run, it would really make his day!

The issue is the engine cranks but refuses to start, I originally presumed that it was a petrol issue in that it had gone stale and or bad after four years of sitting there. I siphoned the petrol and to my surprise it had turned orange. No worries, I added new petrol to the system and tried again - still turning with no start.
I added some starter fluid into the air intake and to my surprise car fires up and runs with the fluid only, before dying.

When turning the ignition on, I hear the fuel pump run before turning off which I believe to be a good sign. However the one puzzling thing about it is the ECU makes a very funny noise when the ignition is on, I presumed it was bad earth so resat and tightened it but still to my dismay it makes the noise - I attach video below.

Neighbour thinks its fuel pump and uncle thinks the fuel injectors have gummed up with the old fuel.

Thanks for reading and would love to hear some insights from others :)
The sound is coming from the throttle body under the ECU. It is normal. And it always twitches around like that on my car.

You should try clearing the fuel from the tank to the injector rail by pressing the valve at the alternator end of the injector rail. The fuel is under 3 bar of pressure so you need a rag to catch it. press a screwdriver against the valve to release the petrol. There has got to be quite a bit of petrol there that needs to be flushed out.

The sound is coming from the throttle body under the ECU. It is normal. And it always twitches around like that on my car.

You should try clearing the fuel from the tank to the injector rail by pressing the valve at the alternator end of the injector rail. The fuel is under 3 bar of pressure so you need a rag to catch it. press a screwdriver against the valve to release the petrol. There has got to be quite a bit of petrol there that needs to be flushed out.
Thanks, will try tommorow and update with results :)

Crank position sensor is a very common problem on these engines if it’s not picking up a signal then it won’t fire the spark plugs or injectors. Depending on what you are using to read the OBD port you might be able to see if the crank sensor is getting a signal.

Crank position sensor is a very common problem on these engines if it’s not picking up a signal then it won’t fire the spark plugs or injectors. Depending on what you are using to read the OBD port you might be able to see if the crank sensor is getting a signal.
Hi guys update.

I drained the residual fouled petrol until it was clear via the valve on the fuel injectors - I made my grandfather run the battery dry doing that haha!

This tells me the injectors are getting petrol - but I don’t think they are injecting into the engine at all as when we cleaned spark plugs then ran starter they were dry.

Would you think this is 100% crank position sensor issue?
Thanks for your reply 🙂

Orange fuel sounds odd, could it be rusty water. Has car been left outside for a long time with possibly a poor fuel filler cap.
Have you collected some of the fuel that came out to see if actually petrol and inflammable (carefully ;) )
As has been mentioned on Forum before if crankshaft position sensor then when crank engine you would get no movement from rev counter.

Orange fuel sounds odd, could it be rusty water. Has car been left outside for a long time with possibly a poor fuel filler cap.
Have you collected some of the fuel that came out to see if actually petrol and inflammable (carefully ;) )
As has been mentioned on Forum before if crankshaft position sensor then when crank engine you would get no movement from rev counter.
No I definitely get movement from counter when cranking…
Some of the fuel had little red particles inside - more a yellow fuel color then orange though.

No I definitely get movement from counter when cranking…
Some of the fuel had little red particles inside - more a yellow fuel color then orange though.
Unless you have drained the tank and flushed it through I would pump about a litre into a clear container, let it settle overnight and check it for contamination.
If rev counter is moving it would indicate crank sensor probably not the problem.
Plus if checked for error codes, personally I have found they would be recorded for Crank position sensor on most vehicles.

Unless you have drained the tank and flushed it through I would pump about a litre into a clear container, let it settle overnight and check it for contamination.
If rev counter is moving it would indicate crank sensor probably not the problem.
Plus if checked for error codes, personally I have found they would be recorded for Crank position sensor on most vehicles.
The first few times when I let it settle it was a little cloudy I’ll admit. Now when it settles the fuel is definitely clear. I am afraid of rust that had somehow got itself into the tank though…

What do you think would stop the injectors injecting fuel into the engine? The rail itself has fuel coming from the release valve when ignition is run but spark plugs are dry. Could the injectors themselves be clogged or something else?

Thanks for the replies and any ideas would be appreciated 🙂

Thanks guys for the helpful replies
Going there on Saturday maybe so I’ll update then 🙂
UPDATE
Car is starting fine now - it turns out the pump was clogged with all sorts of bad fuel and debris and this caused incorrect amount of pressure.

I actually feel like such a fool for not checking this first hahaha

Many thanks for the help guys 🙂

Back