Technical Steering recall- Campaign 4968 on 1.8 and 2.4 variants

Currently reading:
Technical Steering recall- Campaign 4968 on 1.8 and 2.4 variants

Re: Steering recall- Campaign 4968

James Abarth said:
Mine must be factory fresh then (y) Rang Ancasters today and they are checking. WRB with info but in the meantime said not to worry as if it was serious Fiat would have recalled vehicle by now.

Update - Ancasters advised that affected owners have to wait until they actually receive the recall letter from Fiat and then contact their Dealer. This is to allow sufficient time for the Dealers to tool up and have the relevant materials to hand. Contact them in a month if nothing heard.

This has got me thinking, do FIAT UK know I own this car?! :chin: Would the dealership have sorted that? I think I still got the notification slip in my service book, may send it off OR email them....

Stuart DemonD said:
This has got me thinking, do FIAT UK know I own this car?! :chin: Would the dealership have sorted that? I think I still got the notification slip in my service book, may send it off OR email them....

Better late than never :rolleyes:

Well all fixed as per bulletin.. I needed the new rack fitted.

Must say a big thumbs up for my dealers who were superb as usual... no hassles, they called me about the recall as I mentioned above, took car in night before, provided loaner and had the new part fitted for my collection today :)

Hi all

Just read the forum, sorry to be a plank but the only number I can find is under the grey plastic cover near on the driver side the number is ZFA19200000123041 is this what I am after?

Does the car still need to be under warrenty for the parts to be replaced?, my wattery expired May 05.

The car pulls to the left alot is this connected at all?

Thanx

I have a 1.9 Multijet and I received a letter yesterday to take it to the dealer for a steering check-up.

I phoned priory in mansfield yesterday and he hadnt a clue what I was talking about.Said it wasnt a recall just a 'have a look'when the car was in for servicing(380 quid +parts for a 36000 service??like theyre going to see me at that price).

My Wife's car was in at the dealers last week for yet another 'airbag failure' problen (fixed foc this time, in third year warranty). Whilst they had the car, they did that job and then called to say that there is a recall for a 'very serious steering fault' and this car is affected.

Parts were ordered by the dealer, turned up only one day later, but were fixed and car returned with clean bill of health, no charge. Didn't get any sort of letter to state that the work had been done, although have asked for that as it would be useful when selling the car later (perhaps).

Anyway, the dealer sounded very concerned and did not want to go into the detail, but I can imagine that if it is a problem with the 'pinion' as described, it has the potential for big trouble in losing all steering control - if luck isn't with you at the time.

Anyway, our car was sorted and as we weren't told about the problem beforehand, we didn't have any worries about possible steering failures in the mean time.

Certainly worth prodding your dealers if your car may be affected...

Cheers all,

gaddass said:
I phoned priory in mansfield yesterday and he hadnt a clue what I was talking about.Said it wasnt a recall just a 'have a look'when the car was in for servicing(380 quid +parts for a 36000 service??like theyre going to see me at that price).

Sorry to say but that guy's an idiot!! IT IS A RECALL and I have seen the actual recall docs, plus they have nice friendly pictures of what to look for and do if your cars affected so that brainless twerp can even follow, they just want to rip you off saying its a service thang (n)

Regarding my reply earlier: I have a Multijet but the letter I received was apparently sent in regard to my old 1.8...

I received my recall letter today (2 actually cos we have a 1.8 and an Abarth)asking for the cars to be booked in as soon as possible as it is a serious fault. I think this is about the 6th recall on the Abarth and forth on the 1.8 :(

sbaddison said:
Got my recall letter today via recorded delivery. Booked in for next Monday. Does it usually get fixed on the day or am I in for a long wait? Off to the South of France in it on 5 Sept so need it sorted before then!!

I would say it depends on your dealer.. I dropped my car off the night before the scheduled appointment.. so I could pick up loaner car ( hours of my work not good with taking a car in during the week ) and collected my car back next day with all work done.

They have to road test car to see if problem exists, then depending on how bad it is use one of 2 fixes... the time to get your car back would depend on if they have the parts in stock to complete the job.

Wise idea would be to check if they have the parts to fix/change if they find yours has the problem?

James Abarth said:
Still haven't received my letter yet - should I be getting worried? I like actually going round corners not across them.
maybe good idea to give your dealers a call to see if yours is affected James?

I was lucky in that my dealers called me a few weeks ago to say it needed to come in before letters sent out... BTW I still havnt recieved the letter but the work has been done, cudos to dealer!

Back