Styling Punto HGT-V (van)

Currently reading:
Styling Punto HGT-V (van)

Punto HGT Rally car

Due to the Corvid19 hysteria I'm off work for the foreseeable future. This means that I'll be earning zero hours wages for the next however long. All spending is now essentials only.

So no track day tomorrow. (n) I can't afford to spend £60-100 on fuel, food and stuff when that money could be all that's keeping my head up in the next few weeks.

By way of protest and because it had the most petrol today was the first...

31UqwIgb.jpg

...take your rally car to work day. :devil:

I basically had to turn up, thank anyone else who turned up and send them home.

Gutted but glad to be doing my part to help with this problem. Also an opportunity for me to catch up with gardening and stuff around the home. :bang:

Punto HGT Rally car

Doing my part for social isolation driving around in a car that only has one seat. ;)

qr3zYXnd.jpg

Even though it's a bit of a petri dish inside...

UubeFvHH.jpg

nReW6mXR.jpg

j4k62fzG.jpg

TnWOgVIq.jpg

OZwn0wH8.jpg

...this is what the second bucket of Flash with Febreeze water looked like.

M1TZKRm2.jpg

Bleaugh!

Next I added some lightness with a pressure washer instead of a grinder...

N16DvxnC.jpg

7YelbqAC.jpg

...it was so bad under there I apologised to the MOT guys last week.

So my work situation show no sign of improving in the near future and early estimates suggest I'll be out of work for a month to eight weeks at least. So sadly the rally car will have to go to cover bills and stuff. :(

It's a shame I didn't get to see the cars potential but I have the project van and blue daily driver and can't afford anything nonessential right now. A couple of guys have promised first refusal as soon as I hear back from them the car will either be sold or in the forum classifieds. :cry:

Ah mate, I'm sorry to hear that.
The government said they'd be covering 80% of peoples wages, does that not count in your case?

I don't know as yet. Employed and self employed are covered I'm zero hour doing zero hours. Now there is less work for everyone to do I hope my contract will be pushed through and I'll delete the advert. ;)

New contract starts April 1st so fingers crossed I'll either be at work or the 80% Corvid19 sick pay at the very least. :)

In other news the Probation Service has been on lock down for ten days and they are planning to release prisoners early. So great forward planning there. :bang:

Blue HGT

Social isolation continues and I have been raiding my shed again for stuff to do.

Grotty looking cam' and coil pack cover on the blue HGT so...

0IH2KTQh.jpg

...I took the coil pack cover off the rally car and painted it with Fiat Racing Red from the Bravo bumpers.

T56hZU2v.jpg

This is temporary as I have a spare cam' cover in my shed so the both it and the coil pack cover are now in high build primer...

eBK7rYVx.jpg

yrDwQR3o.jpg

The cam' cover will be in wheel silver and the coil pack cover in 597 Teseo blue. ;)

Sadly a bug landed on the wet primer...

sXuAbi3v.jpg

...this always happens when you paint outside. I managed to get it off but the wings were covered in paint so I doubt it'll fly again.

hhzjuqvN.jpg

Continuing the temporary red theme I hate the rubber mats that came with the car. They squeak if your feet are wet and ride up to the clutch pedal in the dry. For the time being I have the red mats from the Van in there.

AwKoAWOH.jpg

Also the CD player has been acting up and the head unit screen knackered at best so I used the trim panel from the Wet Dog Punto and fitted the stereo from my Panda.

0lH5cQ6Q.jpg

92s0uG1Z.jpg

My Underworld live at Up Yer Ronson tape was in there so win-win. :D

Blue HGT

Social distancing day eight I thought I would have a look in my shed. Not happy with the red coil pack cover I found some appliance white from an MX5 bonnet I did a few years ago and some Fantasia green I bought for my Panda ten years ago...

n2hxJCui.jpg

GDFtXvyR.jpg

...meh, but it looks better than just red at least. :devil:

Blue HGT

The blue paint arrived today. :)

RPknxYPx.jpg

I couldn't fine my artist brushes. Someone "borrowed" them. So red caliper paint and blue model paint applied with a cotton bud...

FMiZLKhP.jpg

...yep, that's terrible. I'll do it again when I get chance. :D

Re: Punto HGT's

Due to lockdown Practical Performance Car magazine has asked for home updates as getting about, writing and photoing so in case it doesn't get published...

I joked that having given up alcohol for Lent I ended up with three Fiat Punto HGT's but the truth is, it goes a bit further back than that.

"Twas a few weeks before Christmas and for some daft reason I was optimistic about the 2020 track day season".

I was looking for an MX5 (to drop a 13B engine in) or later model MR2 being Winter you wouldn't normally have the Vitamin D tax but due to it being one of the mildest Winter's ever prices weren't dropping as much as usual. After four bottles of Thatchers Cider I noticed a yellow Fiat Punto HGT for sale at £200 on everyone's favorite auction site. I thought I would bid just to get the ball rolling as the wheels were worth more than starting price and valued the whole car at around £500.

A few days later I was notified I had won the car. Thanks to my mate Tom he did the leg work to Preston and back to recover the car for £300

co0vXM0t.jpg

For my sins I was driving a VW Beetle (Golf in a frock) at the time and just sitting in another Punto HGT (I've owned a few before) was enough for me to start looking for one for the road. First off though I wanted to make the yellow HGT into a van. This is something I have always wanted to do. In the past whenever you see "This is what >insert manufacturer here< should have made" it was generally terrible. Ye Olde Max Power daze it would be something with more filler than the complete back catalog of Limp Bizkit, weighed down with so many speakers the tyres would rub and an undeclared engine swap for "Cheep insurwans innit". I digress this time I wanted to make a Punto HGT-Van. I used to have a Fiesta XRV and small vans are basically cool. A cheap (because it was completely knackered) Punto van turned up on an anti-social media market place and the plan was hatched. Stripped the donor van, painted the rear quarters, added a stripe and chevron. Ta-daaa! Punto HGT Van. Now I have to replace the gearbox and basically fabricate and weld in a new floor.

9CPDkUWt.jpg

vHiMCtYj.jpg

8oWo9nKB.jpg

fh1mgLiY.jpg

uwVz2Wbs.jpg

In the mean time I found a Punto HGT rally car near Glasgow but due to my cider fueled frolics I needed to save a couple of weeks to get it. I sent a message to the seller to see if they could hold it for me but they were going to relist it in the New Year. The next day a near perfect low mileage, low owner, blue HGT was listed. I bought the car, got the train and drove her home.

qdLcqUVg.jpg

IC7f3Fls.jpg

The Beetle was advertised and sold the next day. The blue HGT was a couple of little jobs shy of being a show car. So as well as the track day season I was contemplating standing in a field getting sunburned/rained on with a load of other people with nice looking cars. Maybe not.

Track day season was weeks away. The blue car is too nice and original to thrash around a circuit I did that with my green HGT.

C8e7iUPx.jpg

I didn't want to take my standard HGT and the yellow car needed too much welding to get done in time. Luckily the HGT rally car was relisted so I made an offer asked Tom to collect the car again.
The old girl needed "E" marked tyres, a catalytic converter and some other bits and bobs for the MOT. Tyres thanks to Elite Motorsport for a set of scrubbed Michelin Pilotsport 3's from a Ginetta Jnr race car. The van project donated its cat' to replace the pigeon crap welded de-cat' thing. A week before the first Charity track day at Blyton she passed, but the Sceneocide oval back box was a tad too loud. My Uno project donated the 595 Abarth back box. The tailpipes fill the gaps in the bumper almost perfectly. It's as if Fiat wanted a five year old back box to fit a twenty year old car. As well as being a good fit according to the decibelometer app' on my phone the volume was reduced from a potential black flag inciting racket to a squirrel fart.

x5VJ4Jiq.jpg

yKvQODYH.jpg

mPhkXmIL.jpg

jBFeYN26.jpg

gFv7wbX4.jpg

juWf10hA.jpg

So my car was ready, I was ready, but I was called into the office two days before we were due to hit the track and told I would be out of work until the Covid19 situation is resolved. Not knowing when I was going to be earning money again I could not afford to spend £100 on petrol driving to the track, round about ten dozen times and back. The nature of the event and testimony of the character of my friends. Several offered a Jerry can of fuel for me to use. A humbling gesture but I wouldn't want to impose.

I did drive to work the next day to let everyone else know it had been canceled. What's the point of having a road legal rally car if you don't take the car out to keep the brakes clean and so on periodically?

31UqwIgb.jpg

Pre-Covid19 plans.

Finish the yellow van and use as my daily driver. Do the little jobs to the blue car so she's to a show standard and keep the old girl standard. The rally car however has got me thinking. The Punto HGT has a hybrid engine. Alfa 1747cc Twinspark block with a Fiat/Lancia derived cylinder head. None of this pretend to be saving the planet hybrid nonsense a proper hybrid. The 130hp the car comes with as standard is okay but...

Plan a/ Apparently the turbo exhaust manifold from the 1.9 JTD fits or making an after market Coupe' 16V turbo manifold fit is a day and bit welding and plumbing. Sadly this falls on its face due to the unique self healing ECU that resets back to standard when you try to remap or piggyback it. Stand alone ECU is an option but fitting a turbo to a standard compression engine would be futile or unreliable. By the time I've found forged low compression pistons to run more than 5psi boost it would cost more than finding a turbo engine to swap.

Plan b/ Find a Fiat Coupe' 16V turbo and do the swap. Both Tipo 2 platforms (so should be easier to do than the Mk1 176 Punto conversions I have seen). A few 20V turbo conversions have been done but I would prefer the 16V due to ease of fitment and no compromising the turning circle. Also the 20V is a lot of weight over the nose of a short wheel base. Made worse when you consider my rally has been completely stripped out for the cage. This idea falls on its arse as finding a 16V turbo Fiat Coupe' is as much of a faff as finding tuning parts and accessories. All of a sudden one of the best engines ever to don a Fiat badge is obsolete.

Plan c/ With the Fiat Alfa lineage I could raid the parts bin for something up to date. The 1750tbi as found in the 4C and Giulietta is a pretty safe bet. Based roughly on the Fiat SuperFIRE t-jet engine 235bhp standard and companies are getting 300+bhp out of them reliably (most offer 280bhp with standard parts and remap).

So I was looking into plan c. Sadly the Giulietta is well beyond budget even if I were to find one that needed the M32 gearbox bearing rebuild (as most do). The 159 had the 1742cc TBi engine as well but only made 200bhp so it wasn't as quick as the 3.2 V6. I was pretty sure the 159 TBi would be would be a remap away from the 235bhp the Giulietta had. A quick check on a few websites confirmed this. 235bhp in a car that was supposed to have 130bhp standard would be enough to start and going from 1747cc to 1742cc shouldn't set alarm bells off in Swansea. One of the tuning companies I looked into was using a manual 159 TBi as a test mule for 4C and Giulietta parts. This car was collision damaged, unable to be put back on the road and once development was finished surplus. I was about to ask if they were willing to sell as a complete donor when Covid19 hit the proverbial fan.

Post Covid19 plans? Scuppered.

I think all of us will just have to wait and see.

...but apart from what I had in mind you all knew that already. :devil:

Well the last few weeks have been challenging and depressing.

I sold the rally car to pay my bills. :(
Took a Meriva automatic as a part exchange. :bang: Here's a top tip, when trying to sell a car describing it as the Automotive Antichrist can put potential buyers off. ;)

Lucky I had the Meriva to fall back on because I finally got the cam'cover gasket for my HGT.

xh1nZ1gt.jpg

6USqfkac.jpg

Looked good but leaked worse than ever. So Driveway CSI mode I took the cover back off...

aeHiaiVo.jpg

bc3xSP9T.jpg

...and discovered the new gasket was cracked.

aY8XGCAD.jpg

Sent a message to the seller (eBay) and they accused me of cutting it or stabbing it with a screw driver. I could have argued about it but from the sentence structure and punctuation my guess was English wasn't their first language and urinating into the wind would have been too much effort.

So old gasket, new silicone and she's now leak free and looking reasonably good.

In other lock down news, we're allowed to wear masks in public now...

FNCtbuRj.jpg

I'm not sharing photos of the Meriva as it's too traumatic. Needless to say the previous owner was a heavy smoker and after a three hour long interior valet it was okay-ish. A surgeon came along and cut the turquoise cancer from my drive (I sold it).

I'm back at work-ish but not allowed to use the works van. I used my HGT and bought a cheap Punto Van from a social media market place for £350

wxu7EBrb.jpg

Interior from a 2001 model and the back seat had to go. Luckily I had the floor and other bits in my shed for the HGT van project.

jtEaKXxw.jpg

The stereo sounded like History Today...

RMX3Kxe5.jpg

https://youtu.be/4ExnZY5fniU

A quick raid in the shed for some old Pioneers and for the back...

AWaAxpnF.jpg

I've taken some 4mm polycarbonate too scratched for windows (I don't have any MDF and not going out unless essential)...

ioGsVyxR.jpg

...painted red in case you were worried I was going full WCC and put LED's on the trim...

w2q319th.jpg

...draft excluder tape to reduce vibration...

GYmDWJgu.jpg

...doesn't look half bad...

xcEAqDcX.jpg

They sound pretty good to considering the overall cost is £0.00 as it was all stuff from the shed. :D Certainly enough to drown out the cement mixer Multijet under the bonnet.

After a week driving around in the van I can honestly say that driving my HGT today was like a Rolls Royce in comparison. But I'm getting 60mpg and can do my work stuff without ruining my car. The van is basic, but basically doing its job. :)

As for the van project. That's on permanent hold and I'm rethinking the whole idea. HGT's are too rare to faff about and the yellow car could replace my rally car once the track season reopens.

Recycling tomorrow so...

dWSv5tHM.jpg

...as we can't do track days we may as well do trash days. ;)

On the topic of trash the power steering went on the van so instead of stealing more parts from the HGT I'm going old school.

GcZHafad.jpg

Naturally aspirated steering is a damn sight better than trying to turn a dead motor and gears. :)

Well. The van can go now. I only got it because I needed it for work and that has been canceled. While I'm at it I'm thinking of getting rid of all my HGT stuff as well.

£400 for the van.
£1,500 for the car.
£500 for the van project.

£2,000 for the car, van project and all parts.

With no respite from the Covid19 situation I have all the time in the world to work on stuff but no money for parts or motivation to do it.

Missed another track day last Friday and just can not be arsed.

Back