Punto (Mk1) Lincolnshire Punto Cabrio Newbie

Currently reading:
Punto (Mk1) Lincolnshire Punto Cabrio Newbie

jimmymacD

Hi All!
After loads of Alfas, Scimitar, Land Rovers and all manner of stuff in between I have bought a project 96 Punto Cabriolet in Broom Yellow. I think this will probably be my longest restoration, if only because parts seem in short supply. Currently phoning around breakers for a boot lid and rear bumper and possibly an interior, is the bumper same as 3 and 5 door? I will be posting loads of questions in the next few months. Also looking for a tonneau cover.

:wave: welcome to here...

Good luck with your project, I'm not particularly au fait with the cabbies, but i know most of the panels are specific - think the rear bumper might be the same as a non cabbie but only a 3 door and not a 5 door if thats really the case.

Seems to be quite a few cabbie owners hiding back here in out quiet little corner of the forum, sure they will be along shortly to offer any advice ;)

Hi Jimmy

Welcome to Cabrio ownership. In my opinion it is a great little car which is both practical, fun and largely overlooked. The only panels shared with the saloon are the front wings and bonnet. However, the bumpers are shared with other models.

I have found this advert for a front headlight, but it might be worth getting in touch with the owner, as it may yield many useful parts: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiat-Punt...203371?hash=item4af40efeeb:g:sxEAAOSwLVZVnk2y

Tonneau covers are like hens teeth, but they do appear occasionally on Ebay, so keep a look out for one. It's a matter of personal preference, but I prefer the interior trim of the 1.6 cars, but expect some wear on the piping on the driver's seat.

The hood is generally reliable and hard wearing, but there are some key areas of which you should be aware. You will find them detailed in this post: https://www.fiatforum.com/punto/351131-punto-cabrio-roof-issue.html

Most important advice I can offer is to enjoy it!

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Hi, I just bought one as well, I'm looking for a few bits, mostly trim! I did pass a scrapyard just south of Milan during the summer and saw at least 2 Cabrios there, Shall we organise a trip out????. I am currently collecting info and a few parts to do mine in the spring. Just got a local man who can replace the rear window and a bit of damage to the edge of the roof. Just fixed the glove box door, now trying to do something about the time clock in the roof panel, Here's a few pics. I do know where there is a 2nd hand boot lid with a small dent in it if that's any good to you (and it's yellow) Dent could be repaired fairly easily. Here's a few pics. Repaired the glove box with a couple of pieces of thin metal, drilled and tapped for M2.5 which are countersunk into the plastic, all glued as well. Anybody tell me the colour code/name of the seat fabric (minus the wet dog paw prints) please, I want to get some fabric the same if possible (old seats will do fine).

Attachments

• DSCF2449.JPG
    DSCF2449.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 18
  • DSCF2483.JPG
    DSCF2483.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 22
  • DSCF2455.JPG
    DSCF2455.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 23
  • DSCF2499.JPG
    DSCF2499.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 25
  • DSCF2510.JPG
    DSCF2510.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 19
Hi Renaultvation, thanks for the info, I seem to be a sucker for sad cases. Spoke to the seller's wife yesterday to arrange collection, "oh yeah that one, worst car he has" she then chuckles?
Okay it is missing a few parts but I have seen and restored worse in the past, panels are straight and minimal welding needed plus Punto mechanicals are sooooo cheap compared to other stuff I have worked on. It has some nice alloys and is unmolested, also found an old tin of Broom Yellow in my Barn so that must be a good sign, who can't resist a yellow car! No more hours of yellow car, yellow car on trips! And all for £62 and 3 miles from home!

Milan! I would love a jolly to Milan. I had a quick ring round yesterday with a wish list and found two breakers with complete cars/interiors within UK and at very reasonable price for stuff so rare, I had to read emails several times to check.
Mine has suffered the ravishes of being sat and someone deciding to cut through rather than remove the rear seat back? The interior is alright but damp. I am fortunate that one Neighbour is a retired Rolls trained upholsterer who has kept a lot of materials/leather and has done some cracking work for me in the past with sunroofs and recovering and at Lincolnshire prices, when he accepts payment. My other Neighbour has a spray shop plus I have a mate who makes carbon bits for British Touring Cars and another who can reproduce plastics and graphics.
Lincolnshire is a brilliant place for restoring anything due to agricultural needs and Cottage industries, my local village has a small exhaust engineering business... they supply custom work to a large number of kit car companies and GT40 systems for Ford... My local Mechanic loves all things Italian, he has just finished putting Alfa V6 in a 500, mental!
My head says keep the Punto original but I am really tempted to have a play around but the thought of looking like a mid life crisis puts me off. I spend more time farming work out than getting my hands dirty but want to get the Punto sorted for less or the same as buying a good one so will roll my sleeves up this Winter.

Does anybody have the bag that the tonneau covers fits into?, I'd like to get one made, even a couple of pics and measurements.

Back