General knocking sound from rear of car after hitting big pothole

Currently reading:
General knocking sound from rear of car after hitting big pothole

WolfCrazy64

hello everyone, last week I hit a rather deep pothole (driver side), since it happened I have been hearing a knocking noise that sounds very similar to the sound my old sei made when it's rear suspension bushes went (also because of potholes):(
this car is 17 years old now and as far as I know it still has the original suspension parts.
any ideas?
thank you
heather

Hi.
Do you live in Surrey by chance? Come and visit to find out why everyone drives Range Rovers- it's not to show off, the roads are terrible!
Have you tried getting a friend in the car in the back then front to listen to where the sound is loudest- like this you may get more of an idea where it is coming from. Is it speed related? Is there a chance it's just the exhaust pipe dislodged from the hangers by the pothole. Get hold of the tailpipe and give it a shake.
My local tyre/exhaust fitting centre offers free checks. You may be able to talk them into having a look, they will probably jack up the car and get hold of the wheels to give everything a shake. While on the ramp is a great time for a look around under the car too.
Good luck

The only way to find out is to get under there and have someone shake the body about.

It could have blown a bush, your bump stop could have fallen off, your handbrake cable knocked loose or pretty much anything.

Happy hunting. :)

Had the same thing, suspension coil snapped and stayed in there, rattled like ****, sounded like the tyre was loose, jack your car up, take the wheel off and have a good look around the suspension coil and surrounding area [emoji108]

Back