Technical Indicating left blows fuse

Currently reading:
Technical Indicating left blows fuse

Soapy1960

I have fiat ducato motorhome, year 2000. Strange problem. When I indicate right I have mo problem. When I indicate left it blood a fuse and when I put hazards on it blows a different fuse. I have replaced the intermittent indicator relay which was burned out but still have the same problem. Thanks soapy

I have fiat ducato motorhome, year 2000. Strange problem. When I indicate right I have mo problem. When I indicate left it blood a fuse and when I put hazards on it blows a different fuse. I have replaced the intermittent indicator relay which was burned out but still have the same problem. Thanks soapy
I would check first that the correct bulbs are fitted and that there are no shorts in the wiring.
You could try removing one bulb at a time on that side to see which lamp is the problem.
It is common for people to fit a double contact bulb in a single contact holder etc. I have seen it many times.;)

I would check first that the correct bulbs are fitted and that there are no shorts in the wiring.
You could try removing one bulb at a time on that side to see which lamp is the problem.
It is common for people to fit a double contact bulb in a single contact holder etc. I have seen it many times.;)
I did disconnect all the indicator bulbs on that side and it still blew. I'm no pro with electrics but I'll give anything a go

I did disconnect all the indicator bulbs on that side and it still blew. I'm no pro with electrics but I'll give anything a go
Wiring rubbed through shorting?
Can you check with a multimeter with engine off to see if any of the live wires to indicator bulb holders are going straight to earth?

Wiring rubbed through shorting?
Can you check with a multimeter with engine off to see if any of the live wires to indicator bulb holders are going straight to earth?
I agree sounds like a live that is shorted to ground

Easy to check.

Multimeter set to ohms, ground/black connected to the body of the car any bolt or bare metal piece will do.

Take out the indicator bulb on each corner, touch the red/ live of the multimeter to each of the pins in the bulb holder, if both measure zero ohms or close to, then you have found the short, just need to then trace the wires back to find where it is shorting.

Multi meter £8 off Amazon doesn’t even need to be all that good just needs to be able to measure ohms which will show a short.

Turning up at a dealership or garage to get it looked at will cost you more to walk through the door

I agree sounds like a live that is shorted to ground

Easy to check.

Multimeter set to ohms, ground/black connected to the body of the car any bolt or bare metal piece will do.

Take out the indicator bulb on each corner, touch the red/ live of the multimeter to each of the pins in the bulb holder, if both measure zero ohms or close to, then you have found the short, just need to then trace the wires back to find where it is shorting.

Multi meter £8 off Amazon doesn’t even need to be all that good just needs to be able to measure ohms which will show a short.

Turning up at a dealership or garage to get it looked at will cost you more to walk through the door
Thanks for everyone's help. I have a multimeter but not really used it. I understand what you are saying, just a couple of questions.. do I just need the ignition on to test or do I have to use the indicator as well, and what will it show if it's OK. Sorry if this sounds daft but I would love to find the problem without having to call in the big guns. Thank you so much for tour response. Soapy

Thanks for everyone's help. I have a multimeter but not really used it. I understand what you are saying, just a couple of questions.. do I just need the ignition on to test or do I have to use the indicator as well, and what will it show if it's OK. Sorry if this sounds daft but I would love to find the problem without having to call in the big guns. Thank you so much for tour response. Soapy
Others may be more precise, but in simple terms I would test with ignition off and indicators off including hazard light switch.
What I would do is first set Ohm setting on multimeter and touch the two lead terminal together, the reading you will get will be the same as a dead short, next firmly hold one terminal on a good earthing point then touch the other terminal on the indicator bulb holder's normally live contact, you may get a resistance reading, but you shouldn't see a dead short reading such as you got by holding the two test leads together, repeat test on the other suspect lamp units.
If no joy there then it may be necessary to check deeper into the wiring loom.

Others may be more precise, but in simple terms I would test with ignition off and indicators off including hazard light switch.
What I would do is first set Ohm setting on multimeter and touch the two lead terminal together, the reading you will get will be the same as a dead short, next firmly hold one terminal on a good earthing point then touch the other terminal on the indicator bulb holder's normally live contact, you may get a resistance reading, but you shouldn't see a dead short reading such as you got by holding the two test leads together, repeat test on the other suspect lamp units.
If no joy there then it may be necessary to check deeper into the wiring loom.
Thanks, I will try that.

Back