General Help with my 500 please

Currently reading:
General Help with my 500 please

Mikefraser93

Hello I was just wondering if anyone can advice me on two problems I have...

1. The low oil pressure warning has Come up twice now. Its only does its not moved for about a week then goes off. Oil level is perfect and doesn't look bad.

2. Power steering has stopped working twice now. Turn it off and on and it's fine again

Any help will be appreciated. My wife's a student midwife so she needs this car

If it hasn't already had a new ground lead between the engine and body it almost certainly will need one. it's below is the battery tray.
How old is the battery?

I've checked that lead, looks quite new, I checked it for continuity and cleaned where it touches. Not sure on battery but had it tested and its perfect. But the voltage seems to fluctuate alot

Maybe this would be better continuing on your other thread regarding the same/ similar issues.

Battery tests are notoriously unreliable, how recently did you get it tested?

The ground wire looks new? Is it connected in exactly the same places fiat originally used?

Might want to check the charging system as well!- you need 13.78 to 14.2 at idle also check with system under load IE- lights on & foot on brake! your battery voltage after standing overnight should be a MINIMUM of 12.4v and nearer 12.7/12.8.
Along with the OTHER COMMENTS ON THE OIL PRESURE issue i would add that its possible that the oil pressure switch diaphram is hardening with age and "sticking" in one position when left standing !-once started and run the heat cycle makes it softer and more flexible so it works again till left to stand once more ,Id try a replacement switch of e- bay or the like once you have done the other checks!.

Does the oil light only come on after startup or when you were driving?

This might be an insulting question, but do you know how to check the oil properly?

If the oil level is good, filter new, and it stil happens, then I'd change the pressusre sensor.
If it's not that then you'll be looking at the oil pump which a different level of pain.

Have we all overlooked the simplest explanation?

It's possible that the oil warning system is functioning perfectly correctly and that the engine has now worn to point where it is unable to maintain a satisfactory oil pressure despite there being a sufficient quantity of the correct grade of oil in the sump

It's very rare for an oil pump to wear to that point, even for a high mileage car

Back