Technical Help ......Relay nightmare

Currently reading:
Technical Help ......Relay nightmare

Davexxxx

HELP !.
Any Mechanic/Auto electric people out there ???
Had an intermittent problem with the Fist Ducato 2.8Jtd 2006 Motorhome on and off for a few years now.
Occasionally when I go over a bump it will cut out and engine lights come on, had it looked at a few times but no luck as it's not doing it when been looked at !!!
To cut a long story short we've narrowed it down to the main due/relay box (see photo) and assumed loose connections !!! .had them all checked and all seemed ok !
Happened again today so I immediately pulled over and removed the lid and started pushing on the connections !!! (Always.worked before) I noticed when doing it that (A) was making a Buzzing sound when I pushed and rocked it. ??? I just happened to be in the middle of nowhere but miraculously near a garage and got the relay changed !!!
All seemed ok.......
Got to the campsite and thought I'd just check again BUT NOW THE RED RELAY marked (B) is also buzzing when touched and THE IGNITION IS OFF ????

UPDATE !!! Got up at 05:00 to use loo, and noticed yellow warning light on Dash
Water in diesel filter warning lightAMBER
And the relay was constantly buzzing had to puli in out ????
Any help appreciated as in the middle of nowhere

Attachments

• IMG_20240411_200652~2.jpg
    IMG_20240411_200652~2.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 28
  • VID_20240411_202742.mp4
    23.6 MB
Hi, been under the bonnet this morning, and still doing the same when I put the red R9 relay back in, so tried another one and same thing so not relays ! BUT managed to squeeze the plug in a bit harder on the back of the fuse/relay board at the back of said relay's and Hey presto buzzing has stopped ? So took off that plug and WD40'd it and refitted as tight as I can ! No Buzzing, No Engine warning lights, Engine Starting No issues, 🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞So think I'll change the complete board for a new one and keep the old one as spares when I get back as the plug itself looks good so assuming problem with the grey board 🤔

Or the connector to the relay board, or one of the wires in the connector.

The symptoms sound like ground connection fault.

Huge well done getting going again (-:

And letting us know

Best wishes

Jack

Hi, been under the bonnet this morning, and still doing the same when I put the red R9 relay back in, so tried another one and same thing so not relays ! BUT managed to squeeze the plug in a bit harder on the back of the fuse/relay board at the back of said relay's and Hey presto buzzing has stopped ? So took off that plug and WD40'd it and refitted as tight as I can ! No Buzzing, No Engine warning lights, Engine Starting No issues, 🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞So think I'll change the complete board for a new one and keep the old one as spares when I get back as the plug itself looks good so assuming problem with the grey board 🤔
May I start by suggesting that the title is wrong, and that it should read "Fiat Engine Bay Fusebox Nightmare". A similar fusebox is used on many Fiat models, and as has been suggested the fusebox is the probable source of the problem.

To there is no difference between the red and black relays, other than the red version being rated at 30A, rather than 20A for the black model.

I am attaching my own diagram of the fusebox, which while customised for my own 2.8jtd, is generally applicable. You will see that the relays marked on your photo are T09 (Main Injection), and T10 (Fuel Pump). Obviously these are vital for the engine. In defence of the relay, I do not see highway verges littered with vehicles suffering from faulty relays. In fact I can recall only one or two faulty relays being mentioned on forum. One of these heater fan/blower, which is one of the larger loads.

You may find this thread well worth reading.

Attachments

• Fusebox B001 Engine Bay.pdf
    191.2 KB · Views: 21
  • eLearn E5050-1b Engine Management UFI Filter.pdf
    155.1 KB · Views: 14
Or the connector to the relay board, or one of the wires in the connector.

The symptoms sound like ground connection fault.

Huge well done getting going again (-:

And letting us know

Best wishes

Jack
Yes your correct, definitely isn't a relay problem but a lose contact somewhere ? And of course that what makes it worse and more frustrating 🤬 just want to get back home and on the drive where I can play a bit more with it ! The plug on the back looked sound and ice waggled all the attached wires will probably fit new fuse/relay board (seen on ebay for couple of hundred quid) and then start working backwards !!!

May I start by suggesting that the title is wrong, and that it should read "Fiat Engine Bay Fusebox Nightmare". A similar fusebox is used on many Fiat models, and as has been suggested the fusebox is the probable source of the problem.

To there is no difference between the red and black relays, other than the red version being rated at 30A, rather than 20A for the black model.

I am attaching my own diagram of the fusebox, which while customised for my own 2.8jtd, is generally applicable. You will see that the relays marked on your photo are T09 (Main Injection), and T10 (Fuel Pump). Obviously these are vital for the engine. In defence of the relay, I do not see highway verges littered with vehicles suffering from faulty relays. In fact I can recall only one or two faulty relays being mentioned on forum. One of these heater fan/blower, which is one of the larger loads.

You may find this thread well worth reading.
Yes you are absolutely correct, since what I did this morning I realize it's not the relays at all !!! But a contact 🥺 somewhere 🙄🙄🙄 I will opt for a new board when I get back home 🤞and go from there !!!!

Back