Technical Fiat 500 2010 Cluster issue

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat 500 2010 Cluster issue

Alexier

Hi all.

I wonder if anyone can help.

Hubbie bought me a real cheapie 500 (2010) and It looks and drives ok. HOWEVER there is a cluster issue. I've had 500's before (and an account on here which I've sadly lost) and never had this issue but coming back on the forums I've noticed that lots of people have had Evic issues. I can't use the car as I can't see how much petrol I have.

When I open the door the light for the milage comes on and a flashing clock bit comes on too but the menu doesn't move anything on.

I think the issue might be a very old battery and connector? I've tried the usual stuff - fuse etc and I know I might have to buy a new cluster but could it be this and if so how hard it is to fix. I'd hate to ditch the car as it's quite stylish hahaha

IMG_4050.JPG

Many thanks for any advice.
Alex

Hello,

The battery connector on the left needs cleaning, but the one with two wires (red/green) needs a replacement + the cables need to be fixed.

On the bottom of the forum banner you've got the ePER link, you can check for the appropriate part number with your VIN.

Hello to you!
Looking at the state of that battery and connector:eek: i think the car needs an "electrical service":rolleyes: I would do the following first!
replacement battery
repair the connector wires shown in the picture
check and maybe change the main earth strap
check the hatch wiring!
do or get done a proxy alignment via multi ecu scan if this dont solve it then a repair to or replacement cluster might be needed!

Hello to you!
Looking at the state of that battery and connector:eek: i think the car needs an "electrical service":rolleyes: I would do the following first!
replacement battery
repair the connector wires shown in the picture
check and maybe change the main earth strap
check the hatch wiring!
do or get done a proxy alignment via multi ecu scan if this dont solve it then a repair to or replacement cluster might be needed!
I would hold on with the battery replacement, it can be needed, but should be diagnosed first. Perhaps someone already did that. I don't believe a factory installed battery to last 14 years.

I totally agree with points 2 & 3 :)

And yes, proxi alignment and other tests might be necessary, but I didn't wanted to mess in the beginning, as the most important is to first repair the visible damage.

Last edited:
Thanks so much Steveras57 and Vanper. The car is so cute it's def worth doing :) I can't believe why people let engines get so bad!!

If the round LCD central/circular display section is on the wonk, then you need a new LED.

The type of LCD unfortunately is different depending on the car; 2011 seems to see a change, and the Dualogic/Auto had a different one.. and then it changed again c. 2014 and for the new model in 2016.

You could be in luck, as most failures (numerically) affect the 2011-2014 cars and those LCDs are hard to find... Yours might be easier to find, just because there's less people chasing the few LCDs out there.

Anyhow... you need to remove the instrument console and look for a COG-VLIT number on the brown strap, which will be something like: COG-VLIT 1592-02 555 001 312 600 or similar. Then go surfing the internet until you find one.

Look up this thread for more background/information:

https://www.fiatforum.com/500/484838-replacement-lcd-circle-speedo.html

I ordered one (for a 2013 car, with the COG VLIT above) from the German firm (Autoteilkontor)

....but it depends on them having your precise LCD.

A "How to" is on Youtube.

You can see it's not tooooo bad, if you can deal with fiddly-pokery. The firm who posted this video sell and also repair LCDs, if you can't face it yourself... and assuming that they can get hold of the LCDs as well. They couldn't help me with my COG-VLIT number, but they're worth a try for yours.

Ralf S.

If the round LCD central/circular display section is on the wonk, then you need a new LED.

The type of LCD unfortunately is different depending on the car; 2011 seems to see a change, and the Dualogic/Auto had a different one.. and then it changed again c. 2014 and for the new model in 2016.

You could be in luck, as most failures (numerically) affect the 2011-2014 cars and those LCDs are hard to find... Yours might be easier to find, just because there's less people chasing the few LCDs out there.

Anyhow... you need to remove the instrument console and look for a COG-VLIT number on the brown strap, which will be something like: COG-VLIT 1592-02 555 001 312 600 or similar. Then go surfing the internet until you find one.

I ordered one (for a 2013 car, with the COG VLIT above) from the German firm (Autoteilkontor)

You can see it's not tooooo bad, if you can deal with fiddly-pokery. The firm who posted this video sell and also repair LCDs, if you can't face it yourself... and assuming that they can get hold of the LCDs as well. They couldn't help me with my COG-VLIT number, but they're worth a try for yours.

Ralf S.

I bought mine from the people who did the how to video! about six months ago, fiddly but not hard to fit if you are organised and tidy most difficult was separating the pieces of the old unit to fit the new part! cost about a hundred quid at the time!

Ralf S.

Thanks so much for this and for the video - very helpful

Thankfully I've managed to order one and I'll give it a go :)

Thanks so much for this and for the video - very helpful

Thankfully I've managed to order one and I'll give it a go :)
Set aside plenty of time in a quiet place ! go slow without distractions dont force anything and if in doubt re -watch the appropriate place in the video and you should be fine!.
Have you got the old unit out of the car yet? as this can also be "tricky" & fiddly!.

Set aside plenty of time in a quiet place ! go slow without distractions dont force anything and if in doubt re -watch the appropriate place in the video and you should be fine!.
Have you got the old unit out of the car yet? as this can also be "tricky" & fiddly!.
Yes, thankfully a friend with slim fingers and strong hands helped hahaha - I'll def do that :)

Last edited:
Back