Technical 2003 Fiat 500 - Gear Selector Issue

Currently reading:
Technical 2003 Fiat 500 - Gear Selector Issue

doubledutch1962

My daughter's Fiat 500 has a strange issue: you press the clutch, put it in (any) gear and when the clutch lifts up: the gear leaver jumps back to the middle (out of gear)

Any idea what could cause this and what a reasonable cost is to get it repaired?

The 500,s are quite sensitive to gear selection cable adjustment! have you just got the car and its like this? or have you had it a while and its just started doing this? ,does it do it in every gear inc reverse? if you search then forum under gear selection issues you will find some tips and hints towards the problems!. (maybe one of the moderators could post you a link!?) good luck!- even if the cables need changing there not that expensive, and the works more "fiddly" than difficult-access means taking out the battery and tray ,but it might just be adjustment required as the gears are going in and popping out again, rather than not selecting in the first place! which can mean somethings broken or become detached!.

Thank you - She's had the car for about 6 months and it does it on every gear, including reverse. So if I understand your last sentence correctly, you do not assume something is broken as it goes into gear before it pops out?

I will do some searching now as well.

Thank you - She's had the car for about 6 months and it does it on every gear, including reverse. So if I understand your last sentence correctly, you do not assume something is broken as it goes into gear before it pops out?

I will do some searching now as well.
Its possible the cables have stretched a little and are out of adjustment but its a tricky job if you dont know what you are doing! you can make it worse if in doubt might be worth paying a mechanic to do it then if you get further issues later you have some comeback!.

Back