Technical Does a used or new power steering ECU need coding?

Currently reading:
Technical Does a used or new power steering ECU need coding?

ChrisCross00x

Hi,

(first post, sorry for mistakes).
Croma 2, Diesel, 1.9, 16v.

For the background: The Croma 2005 from my parents has trouble with the power steering. First the workshop exchanged the power steering pump and it worked again for few weeks then started to stop working adn started to work again. Now not working any more. It was a free workshop and he had not much clue anymore. So we went directly for FIAT and they said it is the power steering ECU. Gave me the part number: 51828338 (which replaces 51720518) . But they also said, they cannot order a new one as it is not deliverable.
Now I got confused: According to FIAT another ECU do not need any coding. According to some posts here, it needs. It seems to be also responsbile for the steering lock?! This I could not fully verify it is true.

I found several used power steering ECUs and even a new one. Now my question:
1.) If I get a used ECU, will it work out of the box or does it needs any coding?
2) If I get a really new one (seems to be virgin and my preference), will this work out of the box? Or does it need some coding?
3) if it is needs coding, is there any way to do myself? = what is needed to do myself. FIAT dealer do not want to build in safe brought parts for guarantee reasons. Not sure if this is true.

Thanks for helping
Chris

Back